Transferring WoW Via Portable Hard Drive

I recently got a new laptop and, of course, wasn't looking forward to reinstalling WoW from scratch. I used my portable hard drive to move it from the old to the new. Would this mysteriously lead to random freezing of WoW? Because I'm getting a lot of it and can't work out why. Sometimes it won't happen for days, sometimes it happens every five minutes.

My old laptop was a 32 bit Vista Toshiba and this is a 64 bit Win7 Alienware, incase that helps anyone.
    'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Re: Transferring WoW Via Portable Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Teliko
    I recently got a new laptop and, of course, wasn't looking forward to reinstalling WoW from scratch. I used my portable hard drive to move it from the old to the new. Would this mysteriously lead to random freezing of WoW? Because I'm getting a lot of it and can't work out why. Sometimes it won't happen for days, sometimes it happens every five minutes.

My old laptop was a 32 bit Vista Toshiba and this is a 64 bit Win7 Alienware, incase that helps anyone.
    Are the files installed on the new system or are they on the portable HDD? If you installed to the portable HDD I'd recommend you reinstall and store everything local. Freezing could indicate HDD problems as well as many others. When a freeze occurs do you get an error message from wow, like a pop up in the back ground? Is your CPU or memory maxed to 100% when the crashed occurred? These are some places to look to help identified the troubled area.
    - KIRSCHE

15+ Year Old Account

When copying WoW directly as an install mechanism, you should be sure to do two things: delete Config.WTF inside your WTF folder and run WoW via Launcher.exe for your first launch. This will ensure that you don't have any computer-specific settings carry over (which could cause issues) and Launcher.exe will re-add the necessary registry keys.

The WoW file is on the laptop, not the harddrive.

I'll try with deleting the config and running via launcher, always been using wow.exe. Thanks for the help, I'll report back after trying.
    'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!