Tanking in Heroics

I kinda fail at keeping aggro on aoe packs against anything that has 5.2k gs or more(I know, I know, lol GS what a noob) On said packs I FFF one charge another mangle it while queueing maul and swipe spam, but by the time i've done this the dps have already gained aggro, I was just looking for help on what I could do.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ist&cn=Balgura
    Cheers

Re: Tanking in Heroics

When you charge, start with swipe. It'll give you a little bit of threat when everyone just AoEs, which will happen. Other than that you don't seem to be doing anything wrong. DPS should know that a druid is not a paladin, we don't have snap AoE threat. Any good DPS (skill) will give you a 3 second start before blowing things up with AoE. A well geared idiot is going to pull and blame you, but if you're doing rotations right (which seems to be the case, in general) and the problem is solely your gear (which isn't actually half bad) then it's totally his fault. You can't let people get to you when you undergear some people.

Charge in, swipe/maul macro. Keep spamming it, everytime you hit something tab target. That should throw maul's around to different targets while you AoE with swipe. If you don't have a Swing Timer, I'd recommend one for heroics.

Alright thanks alot, it's reassuring to know I don't fail completely.

yea swipe + maul macro and keybind it to mousewheel down and spin away, other than that you seem to be doing things right, the macro will help alot, when I use it on aoe trash my maul dmg ends up being more than swipe, adding alot of aggro, although if there is only a few mobs (3 or less) I wouldnt spam that macro too much as you might not have enough incoming rage, so I have a modifier on my macro that does just swipe without maul when I press shift.

It's even worse when the DPS outgear you in H FoS, and also seem oblivious to the fact that they have perfectly good interrupts.

For the OP, just make sure you are tabbing around. Maul is huge damage and huge threat, so spread the love.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

As the others have stated, your spec is fine and Maul + Swipe Macro is about all you can do in AoE situations. If you have some threat you can throw out a Lacerate which increases your Maul damage to that particular target, but in general there isn't much you can do aside from spamming that Macro. The Maul glyph does help some, but if you aren't getting MD or tricks or you are going to lose aggro to a hard hitting aoe class that outgears you by a full tier or more. Not much you can do about that. You do need to upgrade that weapon as soon as possible. It's your biggest source of threat (and usually the hardest to upgrade). Try to get into ToC 25 or Ony 25 if you can and hope for some good luck. There's also a 219 polearm that drops in ToC 5 heroic (Marrowstrike I think it is). Good luck.

First thing I can tell you is to get to regular Forge Of Souls and run it nonstop until you can get the staff that drops from the last boss. It is 219 and much easier to get than Marrowstrike from H ToC. After that, aim for the polearm from the 2nd boss in H HoR. I would not waste my time trying to get the polearms from Onyxia, it has been months that I have been doing that in both 10 and 25 versions with 4 different characters each week and I have seen it drop 2 or 3 times. Not worthy it. Or, if you can spare the money, the mace you get from the Battered Hilt quest is quite nice for tanking and will last you a while (the only real upgrades would be a drop from LK in 10mans or Rotface in 25 mans if I remember correctly).

Second is that your choices on your gear are not exactly the best for what you are trying to accomplish. I mean, most of your gear is heavily gemmed with Stamina. With the gear you have you easily over-gear almost everything. The only problems you could have are the last parts of H PoS and H HoR. Other than that, you have way too much Stamina. Of course, most Druids gem for Stamina almost entirely, but they have (or should) have better pieces and a better weapon to keep their threat high. Most pieces you wear are lvl 200 or 226. They definitely do not have enough offensive attributes in them to hold aggro against people wearing T9 and up, especially since DPS scale much better at damaging stuff than you do. You gemming a lot of Stamina like that made the problem even more noticeable. Some Agility gems, even hybrid gems, would do better.

Grab a better weapon, then work on your T9 pieces and the problem will go away as your gear improves. Just keep in mind that if you are not doing T10 content and collecting 245/251/264 stuff, stacking Stamina like that will always hurt your threat and the DPS are very likely to pull mobs off you. Once you have your T10 2 piece bonus it is going to be fairly easy to hold aggro.

Other than that, ask people to wait for your 2nd Swipe.

Deleted

It's always gonna be hard to keep aggro if you don't have 2T10 and a weapon with similar ilvl to what the dps are using, so try to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula
    When you charge, start with swipe. It'll give you a little bit of threat when everyone just AoEs, which will happen. Other than that you don't seem to be doing anything wrong. DPS should know that a druid is not a paladin, we don't have snap AoE threat. Any good DPS (skill) will give you a 3 second start before blowing things up with AoE. A well geared idiot is going to pull and blame you, but if you're doing rotations right (which seems to be the case, in general) and the problem is solely your gear (which isn't actually half bad) then it's totally his fault. You can't let people get to you when you undergear some people.

Charge in, swipe/maul macro. Keep spamming it, everytime you hit something tab target. That should throw maul's around to different targets while you AoE with swipe. If you don't have a Swing Timer, I'd recommend one for heroics.
    ^