Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The trouble with all of this theory, of course, is that it pretty much screws over players who are new to the game/server, who actually want to play the game and not spend their first few weeks just playing the AH. My new druid just hit level 50 on a server where I have no other characters or support structure... atm, I have about 350G on hand, from selling herbs I've had left over from Alchemy and various other goods I've picked up along the way. If I were to actually buy enough glyphs to fill out both of my specs... well, I couldn't do it. I don't have enough gold on hand.

Honestly, though, that people are willing to pay upwards of 90g for glyphs that take less than a stack of some of the lowest level herbs in the game is nothing short of mind-boggling. Even on my level 85, where I have plenty of gold on hand, I would never consider buying a glyph for more than 50g, and I would only buy a glyph for 50g if I absolutely needed that glyph right now and had no alternatives, and it were a glyph that took herbs that actually came from high level zones.

Of course, I also have a hard time figuring out why people are willing to spend more than 2g per herb for things like mageroyal, which is so easy to obtain that it's laughable.... the only thing I can come up with is that people are lazy, and willing to let themselves be gouged as long as they don't have to do as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkitozh View Post
    I would like to meet this person and thank him, I hate everyone who sells glyphs for extremely high prices! Could you please tell me his name and server so I can make a new character to just say thanks. Thank you for being nice to everyone, thank you for not being a greedy bastard like everyone else. Please tell me his name so that I can call him god. May he travel the servers and cleanse the auction house of high prices.

Thanks in advance,
    The Cranberry Chair
    My exact thoughts .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    The trouble with all of this theory, of course, is that it pretty much screws over players who are new to the game/server, who actually want to play the game and not spend their first few weeks just playing the AH. My new druid just hit level 50 on a server where I have no other characters or support structure... atm, I have about 350G on hand, from selling herbs I've had left over from Alchemy and various other goods I've picked up along the way. If I were to actually buy enough glyphs to fill out both of my specs... well, I couldn't do it. I don't have enough gold on hand.
    I'm not saying that what you say is not true, but I'd rather say: deal with it. When I first to my server I didn't have a dime. I couldn't even buy my skills. I was also retarded enough to take on enchanting as my first profession, therefore destroying all the potential gold of selling quest greens. I mean: it's part of the experience that your new character on a new server is kind of poor. You don't have money for Glyphs? Too bad, but I guess you'll survive anyway.

Honestly, though, that people are willing to pay upwards of 90g for glyphs that take less than a stack of some of the lowest level herbs in the game is nothing short of mind-boggling. Even on my level 85, where I have plenty of gold on hand, I would never consider buying a glyph for more than 50g, and I would only buy a glyph for 50g if I absolutely needed that glyph right now and had no alternatives, and it were a glyph that took herbs that actually came from high level zones.
    You might be surprised how many people have no clue how a Glyph is actually made, let alone stand that they have a clue that Deathknight Glyph #27 is made by milling Outland Herbs, or that said Hunter Minor Glyph #2 is made with Old World Herbs that mill into Jadefire Ink. Still, everything is simplified by the fact that you only "need" Cataclysm herbs/inks to make all Glyphs, so the Cata herb prices serve as an easy benchmark for Glyph prices. When a stack of Cinderbloom hovers around 40g, and you get average 3 pigments per milling, you will have 12 pigments = 6 inks = 2 glyphs. So making one glyph will cost you 20g. But here comes the question whether you sell it for 50g or not, I for one would without thinking twice. And people buy it.

The reasons are fairly easy as well:
    * Since inscription is an otherwise fairly redundant profession, not many people pick it up.
    * If you "need" a certain glyph right now, AH is always your best bet. Sure, you can shout out on /2 for a scribe who wants to make your Glyphs, but on my server it's much faster to just pay up at the AH...
    * People are tricked into thinking that paying 50g (or 100g, or 250g, or 400g, ...) isn't all that bad, since you only need to buy it once and learn it forever.
    * Gold is easy to come by these days (everyone can make a couple of hundred gold per hour), so 100g for a Glyph is not too much to pay.
    * Only scribes have in-depth knowledge about investment money and sales prices. If all glyphs are expensive, people will accept it and pay up without thinking twice (or making a scribe of their own)

Of course, I also have a hard time figuring out why people are willing to spend more than 2g per herb for things like mageroyal, which is so easy to obtain that it's laughable.... the only thing I can come up with is that people are lazy, and willing to let themselves be gouged as long as they don't have to do as much.
    If I can buy a herb like Mageroyal for 40g/stack, and then sell the 2 resulting Glyphs for 50g each, I have a quick 60g profit for being smart. Having to go and farm those 20 Mageroyal is time consuming, and my gold/hour ratio will drop. Sure, my profits are higher when I go and farm the Mageroyal myself (100g profit, but took me let's say 15mins), versus my 60g profit for the 1 minute of buying, milling, making and listing. This is of course a stupid example with crappy numbers, but that's the idea. If someone buys materials at a cost that is in your eyes ridiculous, he is either: 1. becoming even richer than he was already in a short timespan 2. already rich and looking to boost a profession on one of his alts, so he can step into that market faster as well.