Page 73 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Oh, the nostaliga... it is taking...over...OMFG I FREAKIN WANT TO CRY, I LOVE THIS.
    <Novum Genus> - Tarren Mill Horde

About sentry totem: If I remember correctly, jumping off a cliff and planting a sentry totem mid-air would make you shaman 'pause' mid-flight which allowed shaman to survive falls. I remember this from a REALLY long time ago so might just be imagining things.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    About sentry totem: If I remember correctly, jumping off a cliff and planting a sentry totem mid-air would make you shaman 'pause' mid-flight which allowed shaman to survive falls. I remember this from a REALLY long time ago so might just be imagining things.
    That's the way I remember it too - very useful in AB for a speedy way from LM-->BS or BS-->GM.

Deleted
    I wish they sticky this thread. So I wouldn't have to find it again every so many months I feel like reading nostalgia. :P

Deleted
    seeing most of this stuff makes me wish i played when WoW just came out

something you may want to add (if it hasn't been suggested already), really early in TBC nagrand arena used to have tornados that would go around the arena. If you got hit by one you'd get knocked back like 30 yards or so and take damage iirc.

Class mounts (warlock/paladin, not completely sure about warlock) were assigned to a spell-school. Getting interupted summoning your mount meant you got locked out of all your spells as a Paladin.

Paladins had less melee attacks then Hunters in Vanilla. They had none.

It was possible for addons to be highly automated back in Vanilla. They could practically play the game for you. Blizzard cracked down hard on these when they released TBC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palidan View Post
    -Notorious movie director Uwe Boll once attempted to apply for job of director for the Warcraft movie, to which Blizzard CEO Paul Sams replied "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you…especially not to you."
    And thank sweet heaven for this. .. Imagine the terribadness...

*shudder*

I've been playing since Alfa and this tread brings back a lot of memories

What I also remember is:
    - Un'goro and Ratchet didn't have a flightpoint, to get into Un'goro you had to cross the desert of Tanaris or come from Silithius, always a long walk, usually there was only 1 flightpoint in each zone.
    - Herbs, mines, mobs, and quest items lying on the ground didn't have the sparkly thingy. As a Herbalist I sometimes had to set groundclutter off to see the herbs.
    - Hunters Snake trap could be triggered by a player of the other faction when he was in pvp, without turning pvp on with the hunter. Often killing lowerlevel pvp-active players.
    - The Ritual for summoning a Doomguard and a Soulwell (Healthstones) looked exactly the same in the beginning of TBC. Also the Soulwell had a ping sound every time a party member used it, didn't matter if he got a stone or not.
    - Ruby Slippers Hearthstone feature used to be instant instead of a 10sec cast.
    - Adam Eternum <Arathi Basin Battlemaster> is a tribute to Masters of the Universe, he's standing in Shat.
    - In BRD there used to be a Terminator Hand giving Blacksmiths a Armor plan (can't recall what plan it was).

- and many more ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know if anyone mentioned this but you actually had to walk to ashenvale/barrens and enter a portal to join queue for example WSG.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    Don't know if anyone mentioned this but you actually had to walk to ashenvale/barrens and enter a portal to join queue for example WSG.
    And they're still existing.
    WSG, AB and AV.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread..is epic..

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

i remember when if you were PvP flagged and joined an instance the flag wasn`t removed, so you had half of 25 people flagged and half unflagged, and AoE heals if you were flagged wouldn`t heal non-flagged people.. so you had to sit around and wait 5 minutes, and there was always some people who had to keep doing it

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    -There was a period in TBC when Orcs had bugged shoulder size (2x smaller), and worst of all, it took Blizzard 2-3 months to fix it.
    This was by design. I was there. Orcs whined so bad it was reversed, however.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Extremely well done. I took the time to actually read it all. Made my shift go by much faster . Thanks!!

Tauren is anagram of Nature

I just read the entire thread, great work!
    Here is some stuff no one has mentioned before:

- Though it was never called as such, early 2000's official texts referred to present-day Stormwind as "New Stormwind"

- Back in the first days of Vanilla, Ogres were way fatter, giving to places like the Deadmines a comical touch to them.

- The penalty for killing a civilian was 1/5 of your weekly pvp score, no matter how hard you grinded on it. World PVP never recovered from the blow.

- For a few days back in 2005 (or 6), a glitch enabled you to change the graphical/physical data of basic campfires. I turned mine into huge Stairs of Destiny to explore uncharted zones (screens available on request).

- There was a bug that made you rez inside the real word entrance of AV (north Hillsbrad) if you died in Frostmane cave (Dun Morogh).

- Before the XP was proped up through a series of late vanilla patches, there were not enough quests within the 55-60 bracket. I have a distinct memory of having had to check internet databases and travel across the world, just in the hope of being able to complete one quest or two. As an example of how long it took to level up at the beginning of vanilla, I once spent 14 hours consecutively to level up from 54 to 55, just doing quests and bashing. Now it takes less than two hours.

- There was no flight between Camp Taurajo and the Crossroads, which was quite frustrating.

- For a long time, endgame raiding was out of reach for most players. Farming the T0 set was the big thing and was not a simple business: it took me 14 bloody UBRS runs to get my torso. UBRS itself took a few hours, forming a group, travelling there and wiping could be even longer than the actual run.

For a month or so after the release, the French played with a mix of English and French languages proper names (e.g. "Marais de Dustwallow", marais being a marsh, or "Les Barrens"). Over time, Blizzard proceeded to translate each and every proper name in the Warcraft lore. Uther Lightbringer's name was changed even though he was called that way since WII. Some translations refer to such obscure references or such uncommon French words that the English version is sometimes easier to understand for native French speakers. Interestingly enough, the Hinterlands have kept their name to this day. A small number of old timers, such as Yours Truly, still use the old, bilingual naming system. Many play with the current English version while others only know the fully translated one. Mixing three naming systems inevitably results in confusion and constant arguments over proper names.

- Paladins and Druides were both survival-type classes with fairly low DPS. Pala/Drood duels could take well over 30min (seen it personally).

- Paladins (and Warlocks) obtained their epic mount after a series of tough and expensive quests. The grand finale made you go to a special event in Scholomance with a party of five, at a time when 5-group people had it the hard way. The mount ended up costing me 850g and endless hours. Ironically, some people trolled us about how paladins were privileged. But at the end of the day I'm the one who paid the mount 850g, non-paladins had theirs for 800...

- Regretably, the single best quest in the game (Jordan's Hammer) was removed with Cata. It took on a epic journey very far from home with your party and rewarded you with an awesome 20-level weapon.

- Another epic chainquest was the uncovering of Lady Katana Prestor's true identity (Onyxia). At some point, one quest objective was just "Roam around the world to find this object"... Which was deep in a godforsaken cave in south Winterspring. Everyone obviously Googled it, but the first beta-tester who tackled the task probably had some fun with it!

- The Thorium Brotherhood provided Blacksmiths with incredibly tedious craft quests in which you had to make dozens of items and farming hundreds of materials. It delayed my leveling progression for two entire weeks! Anyone around still remember it ?

Corrections of previous posts:
    - Silithus pre-AQ patch wasn't entirely empty. I remember there was like 3 quests to do and the Southwind village was already around.
    - There have never been ingame "Infamous" titles for those killing civilians with the old pvp system, in spite of being written in the game manual.

On a personal note, what I miss the most about vanilla wow is that you used to feel the world was huge, having to travel by ground mounts, less flights and all. Some regions were quite remote and virtually devoid of quests (Azshara, Silithus, most of Feralas).

Deleted
    Couldn't see that anyone had mentioned Swirly Ball

Deleted
    I still have fond memories of farming mats to tailor my Frozen Shadoweave set for the +shadow damage.

I believe there was also a very short-lived bug where Warlocks became invincible if a player of the opposing faction banished their demon while Soul Link was active. IIRC it was used briefly to allow warlocks to solo world bosses, but it was hotfixed quickly.