Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    In BC, Sunwell was gated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rofltroll View Post
    LMAO @ the people arguing over SM vs OE.
    Yeah, us casters are just sat here going..... *sigh* melee and their romantic relationship with legendaries

I wore my full Netherwind all the way in to Kara at which point I began replacing it with items from there.
    I wore my 4/5 Tirisfal from 70 till about 75. After that quest and dungeon blues began to out-pace the setbonus.
    From the look of the items I've seen in the Cataclysm previews players will be replacing T9 around 81-82 and T10 by 84-85. Once people start getting drops from Heroic Dungeons at 85 they shouldn't find anything that isn't better than T10.
    If it's not on fire, you're not trying hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleina View Post
    from totalbiscuit's hyjal fly over: He replaces his t10 chest from the FIRST quest in a lvl 81(?) zone. Gear resets are for balancing, both quests and dungeons.
    Think of it this way, you have two sets of players, the ones who just going 80-85 and the ones who are going 1-85.If there was no stat inflation/gear replacement almost immediately, The former will steamroll through all the content and start complaining that it's "too easy" and the balance will have to be somewhere in between the two sets of players to make the 80-85 icc raiding crowd happy. This places the difficulty curve ABOVE the capabilities of the alt crowd (note this is another icc raider who just re-rolled so skill is moot)which causes them to whine and moan about it being "too hard."
    With the gear reset, the difficulty for all dungeons for the vast majority of players (not people with icc25h t10 and other complete bis items)is equal and only one side complains.
    like i've said many times before. i don't have a problem with gear resets. i just don't really like going from looking like a complete and total bada**... to looking like a lvl 36 fresh out of arathi highlands complete with epic looking stone sword tied to a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    like i've said many times before. i don't have a problem with gear resets. i just don't really like going from looking like a complete and total bada**... to looking like a lvl 36 fresh out of arathi highlands complete with epic looking stone sword tied to a stick.
    See, I'm almost the other way around. It bugs me that epic gear looks so ridiculously gaudy and impractical. I'll be *glad* when I can replace 277s and escape the power-mecha look.

Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    Just roll a druid and never see gear again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone a few pages ago posted that our current gear will not be getting updated for when 4.0(or whatever patch it is that puts in the cata stat changes). While i cannot say for sure that the gear will be changed, how could you think it would not be? Are we to expect to be completely screwed for raiding between 4.0 and the cata release?

How screwed would tanks be once they lose all the mitigation they are now getting from def if they are not given the stam that is supposed to make up for it?

Paladins healers would be so fucked, because there gear now has no spirit on it, so they would be gaining no mana after the change, and not have the increased mana pool to make their percentage based regen's make up for it.

Without spellpower on gear what are any casters gonna do?

Now i am not saying that they are gonna buff our gear or anything, but how can u expect it to not be updated when they take the stats out that were deemed "unnecesary."(quotes mean don't get me started)
    Last edited by huangzhong9; 2010-07-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: damn typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

10+ Year Old Account
    This explains why the engineer haste enchant in the engineer preview is exactly the same as it already is.

people forget that the purpose of gear is to facilitate the clearing of content, and is at the same time the primary way that your character progresses. because access to gear has never been so open in this game's history as it has been in WotLK, there is not going to be a need to 'bring all the casuals/poorly designed specs up to speed' with quest gear as there has been in the past.

as for people harping on the stat allocations in cataclysm - you guys do know that they are essentially folding the existing stats into primary stats, right? the AP on leather gear is being essentially folded into agility for those that use agility as a primary stat, such that they are not losing that attack power. also, i do believe blizzard will be adjusting the derived damage bonuses for abilities so as to make things even. SP will be a derived stat from intellect, making intellect do more than inflate your mana pool. SP seems to still exist on caster weapons, most likely as an expression of the design intent that casters should care about their weapons as much as people who actually hit people with their weapons do - and since raw DPS isn't attractive for casters, caster weapons have a metric crapton of SP instead.

bottom line - when they change all the itemization before cata you are not going to lose stats, you are instead going to be gifted with primary stats that actually do something across the board, instead of doing something only for certain classes. in many cases, primary stats will actually do more than one thing at the same time. it is sound design to make a game's primary stats matter, you know, primarily, so it is really a step in the right direction overall.

if having your gear go from six lines of stats to four cuts real deep, i don't know what to say to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Except that doesn't hold ground here, as even the epic gear thus far has the same eyesore of a stat allocation system. It's like reverting to the complexity of vanilla quest greens, or in other words, two strength, four stam leather belt?!?
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=6382/for...-belt#comments

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Just roll a druid and never see gear again.
    I did heroics for a week or so on my druid without ever leaving Tree form.

I about crapped myself when I popped out and saw what I looked like.

T3 to BC raids was the easiest jump; at BC launch, Kara dropped ilvl 100 items, blue dungeons dropped ilvl 115 blues and high-end vanilla items were ilvl 92. However, the item budget price of stamina was dramatically reduced for BC items and the vanilla items were not retroactively changed to benefit from cheap stamina, so T3-geared players had very low health pools compared to players in BC dungeon blues.

BC tops out with ilvl 159-164 in Sunwell; Wrath dungeon blues are ilvl 200, which is a sizable jump.

Compare:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=34336

http://www.wowhead.com/item=44173

And it's pretty clear that doing dungeons at 80 was beneficial for even top-geared lvl 70 raiders. We are likely to experience a similar phenomenon in Cataclysm. Raid-geared players probably won't have to worry too much about gear while leveling, but the gap in gear between a Wrath raid-geared player and an 80 in leveling gear will shrink a lot between 80 and 85, and raiders will have to spend some time in the max level dungeons to prepare for the raids.

I'd be extremely surprised if the rating to percentage numbers conversion quoted high in this thread are accurate or final. Scaling them that dramatically would break the ilvl system.

Numbers like spell damage or weapon dps exist relative to health pools, so they can rise indefinitely. Numbers like haste and crit, which translate into percentages can rise numerically, but have to have their conversion ratios deflated. In the past, cutting these conversion numbers in roughly half has served the purpose (1% crit rating is 14 at 60, 23 at 70, 45 at 80). The value may need to be a little more at 85 because there were so many tiers of inflation at 80. But it won't be exponential.

Something like this:

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/55066/

is likely to be the cata equivalent to something like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=39393
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.
    My Blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com
    My Warcraft/Gaming Blog: http://biggerthankologarn.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanFriedman81

10+ Year Old Account
    as long as cata gear looks sexy, im fine

Quote Originally Posted by NOLNemesis View Post
    So wait, I know Blizzard said they're going to make epics feel epic again is slightly ambiguous statement but I would take it things will be difficult. I also remember that Heroics will be like BC again.

The questions we are left with is; How far do we really know though that Blizzard will take this statement? BC was not meant for a casual player at all which is fine. I really hope Blizzard brings back atleast BC difficulty in raids and heroics.
    If you have watched totalhalibuts videos of the first 2 instances they are much harder atm then uk and nex which were both cakewalks.

Which will force people to learn or relearn cc focusing down kiting etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW the time I have the gear to do ICC cata greens out gear it! Fuck Icc I am not even going to touch it no more....

---------- Post added 2010-07-13 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk View Post
    If you have watched totalhalibuts videos of the first 2 instances they are much harder atm then uk and nex which were both cakewalks.

Which will force people to learn or relearn cc focusing down kiting etc.
    I seen the video and I under stand. I also love how they add kiting and ccing back but don't mean you should make a god dam big gear jump....
    socials
    TikTok flanleet | YouTube/Twitter/Instagram flan1337

OMG ITS SO HARD TO DO MATH WHEN THE NUMBERS ARE BIGGER, NURF STATZ NAO!!!!!1!!! Thats what u sound like.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XForcastX View Post
    OMG ITS SO HARD TO DO MATH WHEN THE NUMBERS ARE BIGGER, NURF STATZ NAO!!!!!1!!! Thats what u sound like.
    Well GC did say he didn't want WoW to become too "mathy", hence the removal of ArP. If you can make something intuitive at no expense of game-play, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Well GC did say he didn't want WoW to become too "mathy", hence the removal of ArP. If you can make something intuitive at no expense of game-play, why not?
    i just dont understand why people care so much if the stats are 100+ or 1000+ its just numbers, i mean u look back at thunderfury and it has like what 30 stamina at most.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheCherriesLover View Post
    BS greens that are better then ICC stuff dont make sense mate
    you used to be able to use end game epics of vanilla and tbc up to starter raids in previous expensions and nobody complained
    Actually many of us found it boring to not replace our gear. If I liked a piece of gear so much I'd keep it in my bank (which I do). My gear wasn't as awesome going into BC as it was in WotLK, but it was lame hitting max level and not having replaced something like shoulders. I felt stuck in an old expansion and not a part of the new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    And as for BC raids in Vanilla epics... Heh. No.
    Many classes used a good amount of T3/ t3 quality offset pieces in Kara.