Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The end of rolling Corruption?

An honest question, and perhaps I'm reading this wrong; but are they really gonna "fix" the rolling corruption "bug" come cata?

HoT and DoT refresh
    Dots and hots adjust on the fly now when they're refreshed. There is less reason to try and get everything lined up perfectly for big numbers before you cast the spell. You'll be able to game it a little bit for the initial spell duration, but it won't refresh infinitely with the big numbers.

God I hope so

personally, I don't. rolling corruption is currently one of, if not the highest dps maker an aff lock has.

Affliction sounds like the easiest spec to play now, with all these changes... I quit the game in Ulduar/ToC when affliction wasn't viable anymore, and I had to go destruction (that cheesy felguard spec before that)
    It was so boring, I lost all interest in the game.. will affliction bore me too, now?

Last edited by hurrr; 2010-08-12 at 06:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    personally, I don't. rolling corruption is currently one of, if not the highest dps maker an aff lock
    It says alot about the ICC balancing when a class need to take advantage of faulty mechanics in order to be slightly competative...

For me it was fun cos it brought some challenge to the game, but as heroic modes came along it got dull. If it dropped off (which happens more and more in hc) you're screwed and cant compete at the top of the damage done at all.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they will! DoTs and HoTs modifiers(crit, haste, spell) adjust "on the fly" in cata.
    Corruption rolling crit was a bug. But a bug they let us use it because it wasn't as powerfull as rolling haste and because we needed the extra push. They were just too lazy to find a real fix for us with only months before they redesigned the class(Cata...). Why spend a lot of time balancing locks when you're changing the class already? They could have went with a band-aid patch like another Shadow Embrace stack but i'm sure glad they didn't.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi Ravi!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I've always loved affliction personally. Leveled as an affliction and gone through every raid starting as affliction. Only time I will really even switch is when we require something from another spec. AKA: I'm the only lock in our HM runs and we need shadowfury or the mana regen. Just that in the past have the blues not stated that they new about this "bug" and had no intention of fixing it?

---------- Post added 2010-08-12 at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr View Post
    Yes, they will! DoTs and HoTs modifiers(crit, haste, spell) adjust "on the fly" in cata.
    Corruption rolling crit was a bug. But a bug they let us use it because it wasn't as powerfull as rolling haste and because we needed the extra push. They were just too lazy to find a real fix for us with only months before they redesigned the class(Cata...). Why spend a lot of time balancing locks when you're changing the class already? They could have went with a band-aid patch like another Shadow Embrace stack but i'm sure glad they didn't.
    I was kind of thinking that was their reasoning for allowing the bug to last as long as they did. I'm just hoping that they "eventually" get the balance right so we can remain a viable raid spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Hi Ravi!
    Ah man... I'm only worth like 800$. I suck! QQ (

Quote Originally Posted by Kuromaki View Post
    have the blues not stated that they new about this "bug" and had no intention of fixing it?
    Read above why!
    Last edited by Ravemstr; 2010-08-12 at 07:10 AM.
    Warlocks are hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr View Post
    Ah man... I'm only worth like 870$. I suck! QQ (

Read above why!
    lol apparently you were typing that while I was typing my response to your above post.

and I'm worth more then you! 1400 baby

15+ Year Old Account
    Cos I'm GOD! 137 000 HK's something, says I am!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah well you all suck then!!

I'm off to make some pallys go boom to feel good about myself again! Brb

OT: all the classes are being redesigned and they have no ideea how powerful (or not) they made them.
    But, as far as i can tell from what's been showed to us, they're afraid of us, lol!
    They know that any push they give us in PVE will become a PVP push aswell and we'll be back to being the OP machines of melting faces we once were. So they're being careful concerning us and taking the safe road.
    Sadly i think that means a 4.0 patch of underpowered warlocks until they get a fix, again, so... It sucks! But hey... we're warlocks, we're used to being nerfed and still come out on top!
    Last edited by Ravemstr; 2010-08-12 at 07:25 AM.
    Warlocks are hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    All hots and dots will "Refresh" with your current stats, including Crit. No more crit rolling issues. Also, all spells (including Bane of Agony) will be affected by haste and can crit.

(Assume zero haste)
    WOTLK: If you clip UA with .1 second remaining, the period between your last tick and your next tick is 5.9 seconds. The second UA's duration is 15 seconds and the next tick will happen in 3 seconds. You cast two UA's and got 9 out of 10 ticks.

CATA: If you clip UA with .1 second remaining, the period between your last tick and your next tick is 3 seconds. The second UA's duration is 12.1 seconds and the next tick will happen in .1 second. You cast two UA's and got 9 out of 10 ticks.

Eradication (20% haste) procs and you clip UA with .1 second remaining. The period between your last tick and your next tick is 3 / 1.2 = 2.5 seconds. The second UA's duration is 12.6 seconds and the next tick will happen in .1 second. Due to haste, your UA can now put out 6 ticks in 15 seconds, so you get 5 ticks because you still technically clipped.

TLDR: All stats update on each refresh or re-application of the spell. Top dps will still be from letting your spells drop off, however.
    Assume

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    CATA: If you clip UA with .1 second remaining, the period between your last tick and your next tick is 3 seconds. The second UA's duration is 12.1 seconds and the next tick will happen in .1 second. You cast two UA's and got 9 out of 10 ticks.
    Is this actually how they've made it work? I'm not in beta but I've always presumed that it would just reset the duration back to 15sec when you refresh otherwise, as you've just shown, it's not really that helpful.

Although you seem to not be accounting for haste. Say my 6th tick occurs at the 14sec mark, what happens then? Is there a 1sec deadzone where I can refresh without clipping? My twelth tick would then occur at the 28sec mark, giving a 2sec deadzone. etc.

I doubt they'd let it be that top DPS is still from letting you DoT fall off then imediataely reapply it as what was the point of this otherwise?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not in beta either, but the way I've worked it out is the only way they can implement it without causing a crazy haste-based, intentionally clipping to gain dps mechanic.

Your 6th tick will never occur at the 14s mark. Your last tick always occurs as the dot falls off. Always. The initial duration (15s) adjusts based on your haste. IE 0% Haste = 15s, 5 ticks. 10% haste = 13.6s, 5 ticks. 15% haste = 13.04s, 5 ticks. 20% haste = 15s duration, 6 ticks. etc.

If they were to implement it the way you said, where the last tick doesn't end as the spell falls off, then your example is perfect. You would ~have~ to clip your dot in order to perpetuate the duration, or you would lose 1s of "uptime". This would lead to crazy addons that calculate your haste and the ticks of your spells on the fly and give you pop ups with indicators that say "YOU HAVE .8 SECONDS TO START CASTING UA OR YOU LOSE 1s OF DPS!"

That's not cool, and if that's how they implemented it I'll start a riot.

Edit: The point of this change is to make clipping at .1s on a dot or hot less punishing to our class. Someone who clips all the time does SUBSTANTIALLY less dps than someone who presses their buttons in the wrong order. This entire change is to make healing more intuitive and smooth and to raise our minimum damage potential to a more acceptable level for new players. It is not intended to give us a new way to top meters and cannot be implemented as such.
    Last edited by gherkin; 2010-08-12 at 05:31 PM.

R.I.P. YARG

*reads mod's posts*

All hail gherkin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuromaki View Post

That! /hail Gherkin
    Warlocks are hard.

Deleted
    But I thought that the design was that if you had sufficient haste you would gain an extra tick, that would imply my "deadzone" model.

Additionally, I think you're overstating the challenge in hitting that deadzone. Statistically, if you refresh in the last second of the duration, you're going to hit the deadzone more often than not (until you get <33% haste). The better the player, the closer you can push it.

[edit]
    AHA, found some blue posts.

Originally Posted by Twitter
    Q: How will haste affect channeled spells. Will it be similar to DoTs and HoTs?
    A: They will channel faster but their duration will remain unchanged. You will get more ticks on the same cast. (Source)
    but

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    It's probably more accurate to say that the haste will lower the duration until you earn a whole additional tick, at which point the duration will go back up again (but with more damage / healing because of that extra tick). Getting more haste will never be a bad thing, but there will be break points where haste is more valuable than others. You should also never want to cancel the spell early.

This is definitely one of those cases where we'll have to see how it feels, but it is more intuitive when you're actually casting spells in the game than it might sound on paper. (Source)
    I realise they're about channeled spells, but they're probably going to be mechanically similar to DoTs.

I think the "probably more accurate" implies that the earlier post is still true. If durations were actually being lowered then he might have used more definative language.
    Last edited by mmoc0a10ab8ba1; 2010-08-12 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no deadzone, Haste reduces the duration of the DoT until you have enough haste that it goes back to it's initial duration and gains another tick.
    Like Gherkin said:
    0% haste = 15s - 5 ticks
    10% haste = 13.6s - 5 ticks
    15% haste = 13.04s - 5 ticks
    20% haste = 15s - 6 ticks
    Warlocks are hard.

Deleted
    was looking forward to having that bit of flexibility.

And even though it's irrelavent now (assuming you're speaking from beta experience, not just jumping on the gherkin bandwagon (I want one!)), I went to the trouble of searching for it, so I'm going to post it :P

From way back, in our class preview:

Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    All warlock damage-over-time (DoT) spells will benefit from crit and haste innately. Haste will no longer act to reduce the DoT's duration, but rather to add additional ticks. When reapplying a DoT, you can no longer "clip" the final tick. Instead, this will just add duration to the spell, similar to how Everlasting Affliction currently works. (Source)
    Last edited by mmoc0a10ab8ba1; 2010-08-12 at 09:14 PM.