Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You know, a great part of the relationship-building for some was the anonymity associated, since the price of failure isn't as high (you can /logout wow, if you /logout RL then yeah).

I guess all the trolls will migrate to mmo-champ and others now :f
    Facile pi?

BEWARE:

I get annoyed easily by people who are slow-minded, and people who spell badly. Oh, and if you want to use the "not my first language" excuse, it isn't mine either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    CLEARLY we could have no other reason to not want our private information public.
    You always keep your name hidden?
    It's not like they are showing your credit card number...

This is a good change imo.

This is a great change.

You guys realize that Blizzard outwardly stated that they were in competition with facebook (or zynga or something) and this is their game plan =D

10+ Year Old Account
    O M G

the official forums will be dead the day this goes live

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have a forum user name being shown than my last name

Quote Originally Posted by Lille7 View Post
    You always keep your name hidden?
    It's not like they are showing your credit card number...

This is a good change imo.
    Yes I keep my name hidden on the net.

So, are the blues going to be using their real names as well?

This is good.

Let the people crying about their rl name being displayed begin.

Crybabies -.- get over it. Your information is already out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    ... I got a feeling gold sellers are going to abuse this. Get your personal information (address etc, it's easy to find with your first & last name) and send you crap to your mailbox about buying gold... :S

At least make it possible to turn off your last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Wow, can't even post on the forums without everyone seeing your first and last name?

Great. What the fuck is the point of this?

I can see the benefits with it stopping people from being anonymous assholes, to an extent, but with our privacy gone?
    Your name is not unique. You are not a special snowflake.

..... Un freaking believable.
    Dolanar-

It will be pretty intresting to see the profiles on facebook/myspace of some of the "top raiders"

Maybe pull up some DMV records and see what kind of mount they have IRL

Not really sure how this idea will clean up the forums though, you can still post on an alt

Not quite sure what to think about this. Perhaps if I had a common name I wouldn't be so hesitant to accept this, but, I'm pretty sure (about 99% sure) that I am the only person on Earth with the name that I have. Sooooo... yeah. CREEPERS GALORE.

However, reducing trolls and raising constructive posts while making the community more pleasant (theoretically) as a whole is great.

I hope they have something to the table to change how the General Chat works in cities with all the spam for groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    CLEARLY we could have no other reason to not want our private information public.
    Why do you consider your name to be private information?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsimp View Post
    So, are the blues going to be using their real names as well?
    yes.
    Dolanar-

Finally I can stalk that pretty Draenei even more so.

No, but seriously this is ridiculous! It will only deter me from posting on the forums knowing people can see my full name and do numerous things with that info even as far as to stalking me? or identity theft? GOOGLE is not my friend any more...

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    The people whining about this are typically trolls hiding behind some anonymous name. I for one am for this.
    You have no concept of what privacy is and what it is used for.

Wait until you're applying for a job and get rejected because your would-be employer google your name, find out you play wow and denies you the job because he is prejudiced against it.

Myself I prefer to keep things separate because really the link between who I am in game, who I am here and who I am IRL are informations that people really don't need to know.

If this goes through I won't stop posting on the wow forums because I don't want to troll there with my irl name. I will do so because I don't want people completely unrelated to me playing wow find out what I post there, how much I post there etc. - knowing that I play wow, knowing what I do in it or how much I play is simply not their business.

A few words...E-stalking. Hehe...let's check to see if this alliance rogue has a facebook page...How about online harassment. I'm sure there's some kind of law protecting the privacy of minors...The short of it is this. Since the internet began, very few people give out their real names. I'm not a troll nor a flamer, but I have always used an alias. I like having an alias....it makes me feel like I have control over what my name is and what I'm called.