• Yes.

44 51.16%
  • No.

18 20.93%
  • Some/Limited.

24 27.91%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Moderators start closing threads about "WoW dying"?

Recently, as I am sure everyone has noticed, there have been at least 2 - 3, if not more, "WoW is dying" threads on the forums daily. I think it's about time that the Mods start closing these threads outright, unless they are put in a constructive way (Ie: "WoW is getting worse, maybe making change X to Y would help" or something to that effect). They seem to be multiplying like a really bad rat infestation and not a lot seems to be getting done about them, especially since they are "troll bait" and tend to start flame wars.

*There is a poll incoming, before anyone asks, the following is just to detail what each option is saying in more detail.
    Yes - Close and delete all threads pertaining to this topic, it is getting annoying and we feel enough is enough.
    No - Don't close threads pertaining to this topic, they should be allowed to post what they want.
    Limited/Some - Only close those which are outright saying "WoW is dying" and not the contructive ones (Ie: Ask opinions or give opinions on how to improve the game).

**I didn't put this in the suggestion forum on purpose, mostly because no one really reads it from what I've seen... well other than the Moderators of course. Also, this is more of a way to see what the community thinks should happen, rather than an actual request or suggestion to the Moderating "staff". If it does seem to tilt to the side of deleting the threads by quite a bit more than those opposed then I'll probably make a seperate one in the Suggestion Forum, linking it to this thread to show the results.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I don't like them either, but they are a matter of opinion, and to a degree this is an opinion based WoW fansite, and even though it is a wow fansite it is host to many other topics off of wow, including other video games, if you think about it, closing or even locking these threads, as long as they don't get out of hand, is just ripping away freedom of speech, if one person things X game is better than wow or wow is dying because of X reason, they should be allowed to explain their thoughts, not just shunned.

Because people need more reasons to dislike the mods here.

People just need to stop responding to those topics *shrug*.

If there are people responding (in a reasonable way) that indicates there is the need for discussing such topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarix View Post
    But we bring cookies!

I don't think we usually close threads that are opinions or factual. As long as they are appropriate and have to do with WoW. (Unless in offtopic). If it gets out of hand it will be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    No. I don't like them either, but they are a matter of opinion, and to a degree this is an opinion based WoW fansite, and even though it is a wow fansite it is host to many other topics off of wow, including other video games, if you think about it, closing or even locking these threads, as long as they don't get out of hand, is just ripping away freedom of speech, if one person things X game is better than wow or wow is dying because of X reason, they should be allowed to explain their thoughts, not just shunned.
    As long as they are constructive, rather than pointless, then I couldn't agree with you more! If it is something like... a comparison. Say someone was to compare Rift and WoW. Someone could mention that they like how interactive the constant world events in Rift are and how WoW is lacking them. That is a valid point. If someone, however, comes in screaming that game X is going to be the WoW killer or that WoW is dying and is making baseless assumptions and statements, then it shouldn't be acknowledged because it is just an annoyance and usually there just to be that.

---------- Post added 2011-04-21 at 12:46 AM ----------

I have seen things like this posted a plethora of times, but I've never actually understood why people say it. I have, as of yet, not seen one reason for people to really dislike the Moderators. Having said that, please stay on topic .
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    As long as they are constructive, rather than pointless, then I couldn't agree with you more! If it is something like... a comparison. Say someone was to compare Rift and WoW. Someone could mention that they like how interactive the constant world events in Rift are and how WoW is lacking them. That is a valid point. If someone, however, comes in screaming that game X is going to be the WoW killer or that WoW is dying and is making baseless assumptions and statements, then it shouldn't be acknowledged because it is just an annoyance and usually there just to be that.
    Right and, to a degree, Most of Those threads are It's usually an isolated incident when someone rages about WoW sucking and doesn't try to propose a way to improve it, even the people who probably came from the opposing company never rage, and stop mentioning wow after line 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    But we bring cookies!

I don't think we usually close threads that are opinions or factual. As long as they are appropriate and have to do with WoW. (Unless in offtopic). If it gets out of hand it will be dealt with.
    I understand, and you guys do a good job with that. However, I feel it is starting to annoy more than anything else. I have seen some really good, valid, posts being flamed, although not the the point of being trolled, because they made a thread about something thet didn't like in WoW, something they think could be improved, etc. With the constant threads that are mindless crying about the game, it's started to make the average forum "go'er" a little less... understanding, for lack of a better word.
    But warriors....

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    I have seen things like this posted a plethora of times, but I've never actually understood why people say it. I have, as of yet, not seen one reason for people to really dislike the Moderators. Having said that, please stay on topic .
    And yet people still do.

How DARE they enforce the rules! It's not like I agreed to them or anything! Free speech! First amendment! WHAAARRRGGGAAARRBLLEEE!!!!

I don't think any and all "WoW is dying" topics should be closed. But the ones that are made by a guy with only a handful of posts and the opening post is two lines? Yeah. That stuff needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    Right and, to a degree, Most of Those threads are It's usually an isolated incident when someone rages about WoW sucking and doesn't try to propose a way to improve it, even the people who probably came from the opposing company never rage, and stop mentioning wow after line 3.
    I'll admit it openly, I could just be unlucky and find all the bad ones. It could just be a few isolated incidents that I am, unfortunately, continuously coming across. However, from my point of view it is a big problem. And, as I said, I don't want the contructive posts closed. I would like to see something done about the unproductive and "QQ" posts.
    But warriors....

10+ Year Old Account
    On the question....no, absolutely not. Not so long as the thread is a "proper" one, and not just a one-liner. Negative feedback is also feedback, and if people are dissatisfied...well, they need a place to voice that too.

For those who are terribly bothered by that sort of thread...just pass it by, and ignore it? It's really not that hard.

I voted NO, because the last thing these forums needs is any MORE moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    But we bring cookies!

Random, but omg I love your Avatar! >w< I wanna see it full sized!

Edit: On topic .... Im mixed on the subject I want to say Yes - Because people are flooding the site with nonsense, but I want to say No - Because its a topic people WANT to discuss and ... people already dislike the strict rules over the forums as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

....because people would rather read the same thread over and over and over again? ....i don't really see where you are going with this. personally i dislike it when mods don't lock these repetitive trash threads about how the game now suddenly ruined. sure, the OP may feel like his opinion is fresh and new....but it could of easily been posted in one of the other 6492509248 threads about quitting wow or how wow is now ruined, dying, terrible, whatever. but instead....nope, let's start a new thread because i'm SUPER important and need everyone to see my thoughts.

/sigh
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

I think I should modify my answer.

I believe we close threads that don't have much of a prospect for discussion. There is nothing wrong with a "wow dying?" thread if it promotes discussion about a part of that topic. Mindless QQing about wow dying for some reason like "WOW IS DEAD BECUZ I SAID SO" would probably be locked. To be fair, most of these threads appear in the general discussion area which is not my area of moderation. This is all i've gotten from viewing other mod's actions and through discussion. May not be perfectly accurate but yea.

Moved to Suggestions and Feedback as it fits more here.

Also, some of them get closed.. some don't. There is a difference between "WoW is dying, and here are the reasons why I think so" and "WoW is dying, QQQQQQ, new MMOs are awesome, you all suck for playing WoW, lolololol". The latter are most definitely candidates for being closed and should be reported.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Deleted
    I would love to see them all deleted, i read these forums for discussion about the game, not the same old whiny threads all the time. Most of them don't even spark any good discussion about improvements or anything, it's all just : QQ wait times QQ graphics QQ nerf this or I cancel subscription... getting boring now guys lets just stop it. If you don't like the game then quit, don't come here and whine to people who are still enjoying the game.

Only some, if they continue to repeat the same reasons. Flooding the forums should be avoided regardless of the thread topic.

There really isn't a good reason to close those threads unless they're out of control with trolling and what not. Simply closing a thread about somebody's discontent with the game is forcibly restraining that expressed opinion, which is something(I think most of us, if not all) are fundamentally against. That doesn't mean it isn't annoying(it is), but you can't really justify closing somebody's thread just because you disagree with its contents, unless said thread is rife with hatred.

Honestly it's more of a personal issue more than anything else. Us closing threads isn't going to magically get people to like the game more. The only thing I would suggest is not respond to those threads, or at least encourage the thread-starters to take a break from the game so they can cool off and allow it to be fun again later.

[QUOTE=Lolretadin;11154401]As long as they are constructive, rather than pointless, then I couldn't agree with you more! If it is something like... a comparison. Say someone was to compare Rift and WoW. Someone could mention that they like how interactive the constant world events in Rift are and how WoW is lacking them. That is a valid point. If someone, however, comes in screaming that game X is going to be the WoW killer or that WoW is dying and is making baseless assumptions and statements, then it shouldn't be acknowledged because it is just an annoyance and usually there just to be that.[COLOR="red"] just... dont... read it.

seriousely, i do not like pumpkin. i do not eat it and i do not like looking at it. yet i do not complain on the internet about it.

quote fail -_-
    Last edited by joumasepoes; 2011-04-21 at 01:17 AM.