Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If we're talking about "world" PvP, as something distinct from Battlegrounds, arenas, duels and especially Wintergrasp, I think the way to revive world PvP is to incentivize it *heavily* and do it in a way that brings the two factions into close proximity of each other.

For those of you who played at the end of TBC, the Isle of Quel'danas was frequently a great place for world PvP even on PvE servers. I recall anywhere from 5 to 40 flagged players hovering around those quest hubs at any given time. All it took was making a zone that concentrated players of both factions into a small area on a persistent basis.

Blizz has tried to boost world PvP half-heartedly in the past, recall the quests in Silithus that would flag you for PvP while you were doing them. Same thing in WotLK with the Grizzly Hills PvP quest hubs. But the trouble with those quests is that the incentive to do them other than just for the fun of it are really lame. You get a few gold and some useless tokens.

If there were a "contested zone" on all server types like Wintergrasp, but where you didn't have to queue for a "battle" and were flagged as soon as you entered that would be a start. Then they'd need to add significant incentives for doing daily quests in this zone. Substantial rewards, like mounts, titles, crafting patterns and other *vanity* items along with heaps o' gold would really get people interested. Rare vanity items similar to some of the rewards you get from the fishing daily quests would keep people interested over the long-haul. If there were anti-air cannons or some other way to get people off their flying mounts and into the fight it would also help keep this zone a hotbed of world PvP activity. But (FFS) don't put this zone in the center of the continent so people who want to avoid PvP aren't shot down every time they try to go anywhere like the original WG did.

If the daily quests involved competing for certain items or resources it would really heat things up on a persistent basis, unlike WG which is mostly quiet except during the specific battle times. You could even have quests in the zone that just asked you to kill "X" number of enemy players to guarantee there would be skirmishes throughout the zone.

I think this could be a fun way to expand on the current PvP options in WoW and keep people interested specifically in what's going on between factions on their own servers. BGs, Arenas and the Random Dungeon Finder have made it so many people play while barely interacting with the people on their own server. A contested PvP zone like this would focus players on their own servers again and bring world PvP back to the forefront.

Edit: TLDR - Create a PvP "zone" on all servers like WG with meaningful incentives from daily quests to foster world PvP action.
    Last edited by Badma; 2010-07-16 at 09:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post
    Is it because the ganked person can run away from your camping ?!? I hardly think the flier doesn't let you get the jump on anyone.

Btw, camping is lame.
    No, it's because people never meet eachother, and even if they do, you cant really attack unless you want to die from falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post
    No, it's because people never meet eachother, and even if they do, you cant really attack unless you want to die from falling.
    How does the flier make a diference ? Ppl will still be questing/farming on the ground and you can jump on them.
    If they were on a ground mount, would you chase them across several maps just to gank them ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post
    How does the flier make a diference ? Ppl will still be questing/farming on the ground and you can jump on them.
    If they were on a ground mount, would you chase them across several maps just to gank them ?
    Flier makes a huge difference. Also, flying mounts werent the only factor, think about it, how much does the average person go outside the city to kill mobs? very, very rarely, maybe to complete a daily or two, almost anything can be done without travel, people get summoned left and right, fly straight to instances or use the dungeon finder for insta port heroics.

And yes, if I saw you on my ground mount, I would fucking chase you down and kill you Because thats a part of world pvp, if you dont want to leave the area, tough luck, better make a stand like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz View Post

And yes, if I saw you on my ground mount, I would fucking chase you down and kill you Because thats a part of world pvp, if you dont want to leave the area, tough luck, better make a stand like a man
    You do know it's just a game...

@the people saying go to PvE servers if you don't take the PvP tag seriously

You have a very valid point. But there are idiots like myself that pick a random server, regardless of what kind of realm it is, because they don't care, or they have friends on that realm. This makes it hard to just start over on another realm. I have too many characters that I put work into to just start over on a PvE server and a lack of "care" to put money into a server transfer that won't mean a thing when I hit the level cap.

Frankly, I'd prefer to sit down and deal with the ganking so I could play with my friends or stick with my guild than abandon all of that just to level gank-free.

15+ Year Old Account
    heres hoping

Doubt they will manage to revive world pvp, but we can hope, can't we?...

To all the people complaining about ganking...

personally I gank everyone I can. Why? Well, because if I don't, then I'm robbing you of the full experience of the game. WoW isn't meant to be all good and no work (lololololol) but instead it's meant to be something you crawl through and triumph in. So by me ganking you, I make your game play more fulfilling and amazing. So please, next time you get ganked, don't get mad, just get back so I can kill you faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurikar View Post
    Flying Mounts ruined world PVP.

Camping is part of world PVP, do you know why?

You go to kill a named mob, some dude ganks you when your on him. You kill said dude and promptly camp him, he brings out some guildies to deal with you, you bring more guildies to deal with him, all out PVP war starts. This happens more then you can imagine.

I don't know what you think "World PVP" is, but it's not about fair and balance game play. It's about hordes of players fighting each other. Sometimes you engage someone with half health, sometimes all your cooldowns are down, sometimes you are out numbered, sometimes it's just not fair.

Flying Mounts killed World PVP because they made it so a player can decide to NOT pvp on a PVP server.
    I dunno where you've been. I've been camped plenty of times even with flight. I've been knocked out of the air so much, it's ridiculous. If you don't go AFK 100 feet in the air away from no ledges or cliffs, someone is probably going to murder you, and then tea bag your corpse for good measure.

And there's all the camping in daily spots, questing areas, just outside cities.

Flight is only going to force you to be more creative with how you grief people. QQ moar cause you aren't creative? :3
    Axetoface.

um..you cant knock people off mounts anymore?
    when you could was a long time ago. where have you been cordae? flying is your "safe spot"

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post

personally I gank everyone I can.
    You're a male undead rogue. Ofcourse you do. While I'm no ganker, I do go out of my way to gank male undead rogues because I just know they like to do it to other ppl.

cataclysm: more ganking, less world pvp. this is looking good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps View Post
    I dont think world PvP will return. Maybe the 1st day of release they'll be random gankings etc but that usually dies down as time goes on
    & yet, even now, ages after WoLks release...I still feel teh need to get friends together every week & just sit in orgrimar ganking any horde who trys to interupt our sitting

I thought I read that the new pvp world bg zone will be pvp disabled in between battles. I might be misremembering though.

Barrens is intended to be a PvP zone? I saw some interesting screenshots.

I agree with the part that flying played their part in ruining world pvp but there are some other major factors.

During vanilla, ppl used allot of consumables, mana pots, flasks, health pots, stat pots and tubers to name a few.

Now you don't use that much of consumables and money is in an abundance.
    You don't have to meet up at entrances to instances.

From my experience the most of world pvp in vanilla came up when harvesting for consumables be it tubers
    or mats for pots or enchants you had limited spawns and spawns on timers for tubers so the competition for these spawns was extreme.
    Running around felwood gathering your tubers and then popped in an enemy and you caught him camping the tuber spawn with 1 minute to the timer, a fight broke out you killed him 5 min later him and a friend pop in, you get chased of... now you call a friend, you get what this starts off, a server war.
    Also the good old Black Lotus... ohh the precious black lotus no progressing guild could live without.
    Or the Arcane Crystals for the arcanite bars.
    Or the nice old "friday-night camp black rock mountain entrance" so noone can do BWL or MC.

Atleast I loved those times, the fuel for this world pvp was simple, resources if you couldn't get your consumables you had a hard time doing PVE so you couldn't get the best gear to PVP.
    Brings back another point but maybe not for this topic.

Now to support the flying mount argument, in my opinion it's far to easy to run away with a flying mount making world pvp something you can choose to participate in rather then it being forced on you, if you're not forced to do it you won't.

In my opinion Blizzard needs to make consumables more of a factor for PVE at least so world PVP can thrive.

My 2 cents.

keep /wave ing at the horde mate. ill still gank ur ass in wotlk

---------- Post added 2010-07-17 at 05:33 PM ----------

also.. im really REALLY going to miss chasing people (or getting chased) down the entire length of stv.
    now if a paladin is chasing you, you can just fly away.. no more hiding behind trees or "trying" to outrun them.
    course pallys will STILL be one of the best chasers with their ability to fall and survive, people tryign to fly away with 200 health will be put to shame.
    Last edited by wowremy; 2010-07-18 at 12:34 AM.

pve servers need to have quest givers,ah guys and vendors have pvp flags removed entirely. if your on a pvp server sure have them enabled but for those of us on a pve server...
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

RFD is a hugh killer of world pvp. Tell me, how many of you remember holiday bosses ala HH and the pitched battles that would occur outside the instance portal in SM? Also as someone referenced above, camping blackrock, battles inside blackrock, running down the chains while being chased. There are many reasons why world pvp died, I have to agree though, that one of the main ones was the OP's reason and that is the players.

If you're all for world pvp do what I do (in the case of playing on pve) go out and flag yourself. As for ganking, its character building, deal with it and yes, I gladly chased people through multiple zones to kill them, part and parcel of having opposing factions and giving players the ability to kill each other.