Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Missing large 5mans

Hi,

One thing I've missed since classic, is a 5 man dungeon that's quite big, and have different "wings".
    Take Stratholme for instance, it's a pretty straight forward dungeon if you don't want to make a big deal out of it, but If you want, there is a lot of stuff you can do (Scarlet side, postmaster, etc) and I kind of miss this.

After TBC all instances as I can recall have been pretty much straight forward, one path only, and that kind of sucks.

I would love to see more like this in Cataclysm, even tho I seriously doubt it will be implemented.

Halls of Origination sounds pretty big.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you're maybe one of the 1% who ever did the postmaster.
    Or a whole clear of BRD.

People very rarely did that stuff back then because there were very few reasons to do that stuff aside from special quests. And if anything, the mentality nowadays has shifted even more towards getting my 2 Frost emblems afap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Or a whole clear of BRD.

People very rarely did that stuff back then because there were very few reasons to do that stuff aside from special quests. And if anything, the mentality nowadays has shifted even more towards getting my 2 Frost emblems afap.
    I'd agree today's mentality is to do just enough to get the frost badges. I've done it myself but that's only because no-one needs any loot that drops in WotlK hc's and they became so stale so quickly everyone just wanted the badges are out asap. Whereas vanilla and TBC 5 mans were a bit more useful for a longer period of time.

I'll disagree on the BRD dungeon, we always cleared as many bosses as the group would stand. I've spent 2+ hours in that place clearing as much as possible. Yes we skipped packs of trash if we could but I could count on one hand the times we went in just for one boss and then left. Jail break, that was the one most people did not want to do because it was still tricky. But imo the most gratifying finish to any quest line in the whole of WoW

Even in vanilla, NOBODY did a complete BRD-run, it was a day's work, hardly ever was a full Strat-run (Both sides) done when i was around either, or Father flame in UBRS? it required threats from the priest healer who wanted his T0-shoulders to do that, or the boss in Scholo basement (That mirror-image spawning Barov-woman), nearly every run skipped her too...

Huge sprawling instances look and feel great, i'll concede that right away, but getting a 5-man group (Or more in the case of UBRS) to all agree on doing the whole lot of it? It was hard 5.5 years ago and only got harder, it's simple cost vs gains, it costs time and if there's no gain, people want to skip it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, we went from BRD to AN....and ppl want to even Bug AN lol, its 3 bosses with fights less than a min! but ya it is a mentality thing to get the frosties...
    Why isn't Harrison Jones in BFA?
    I mean, Blizzard, srously? We ought to see the old chap in Vol'Dun!
    I think he is a bit afraid of snakes! (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Having to spend an entire evening just to do a 5-man is absolutely not something that I feel nostalgic about.

Quote Originally Posted by Spott View Post
    Lol, we went from BRD to AN....and ppl want to even Bug AN lol, its 3 bosses with fights less than a min! but ya it is a mentality thing to get the frosties...
    Still, it has the most annoying final boss in game imo.
    In the Groves of Death

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Even in vanilla, NOBODY did a complete BRD-run, it was a day's work, hardly ever was a full Strat-run (Both sides) done when i was around either, or Father flame in UBRS? it required threats from the priest healer who wanted his T0-shoulders to do that, or the boss in Scholo basement (That mirror-image spawning Barov-woman), nearly every run skipped her too...
    I completely forgot about Father Flame. I remember doing him exactly once and it was only for the Engineering pattern for the FR trinket. Pattern dropped first time, no one ever did him again. Same thing for Jandice Barov. Did her once during Vanilla for the quest item drop to be able to summon Kirtonos and never did her again until I was 80 for her scourgestone.

Anyone who says they honestly enjoyed BRD or BRS is a complete liar. I think I did a full clear of BRD once at level 60 and it took like 6 freaking hours. Your guild could literally clear MC quicker than a group could clear all of BRD and do all the side bosses. The length of BRD was such an annoyance that everyone figured out how to shorten it by cutting through the lava. That instance popularize lava jumping lol and just so you could skip 11 bosses to get to the one boss with decent drops.

Speaking of BRD, I wonder what the percentage of players is that realize that you can do a quest for the captured Princess in there to be lootable. I bet it is less 1%. It was a lot of fun being the only person who had done that quest chain back in Vanilla in a lot of my BRD runs so I always got the loot off her by default.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree that nowadays ppl tend do only the minimum to get maximum reward so those big instances (BRD mostly) have litle to no place in these day.

I, however, love those kind of instances, i remenber to stay half a day or so in stratholme doing a full run on the place. I also done a full run at BRD, only once ofc, but you can easly do all BRD in 3-4 runs of 1-2h each and it would still be lots of fun, the only downside of this is that you ended killing the begining mobs a lot of times.

Anyway, yes i would love to see this kind of instances again.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're missing the OP's point I think. He didn't suggest Blizzard should force us to do 6 hour dungeon runs. He asked for bigger dungeons with multiple wings. As most of you said, many bosses were optional and often left out in BRD, so why would you complain that a full clear run takes too much time?

It would be nice too have a large dungeon, which can be completed in 30 minutes, but still has some optional bosses standing if you want a larger run. I personally would rather do a 2 hour dungeon once a week than having to go through the 15 minute bullshit that is called daily heroic.

10+ Year Old Account
    i honestly dont miss the real long dungeons at all BRD and others like it (anyone who says the room with all the lil mobs just before the throne room in BRD is fun that person is a retard) back in classic and BC were a pain to do and you needed a dedicated group to see these things tell the end.

now granted i agree with the others on when WOTLK 5 mans got REAL old REAL quick iv gotten to the point where if i get asigned to old kingdom on a random que i just quit the group. id rather wait another 30 mins and do other shit than go though that place again.

i do want them to make 5 mans in Cata either more fun to do or at least make them more nessisary to do like back in BC. and to make em so you get more badges is a nice touch too.
    Last edited by psdew1813; 2010-07-29 at 09:51 PM.

5mans are meant to be short, if you want something that will take a while go raid ulduar or naxxramas and let me know how it goes.

Personally BRD was always my favorite. I know my way around extremely well and can navigate it with relative ease. I miss the coffer runs, the MC attunement runs, the killing the Emperor or killing the big red dude, or what not. You never set out to do the whole thing. You set out to do a section of it for a specific purpose. People needed the MC attunement so you fought those dwarves and the fire lizard. People needed the coffers so you fought in the tavern and killed that fire elemental nearby. I think there should be at least one instance like BRD in every expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I completely forgot about Father Flame. I remember doing him exactly once and it was only for the Engineering pattern for the FR trinket. Pattern dropped first time, no one ever did him again. Same thing for Jandice Barov. Did her once during Vanilla for the quest item drop to be able to summon Kirtonos and never did her again until I was 80 for her scourgestone.

Anyone who says they honestly enjoyed BRD or BRS is a complete liar. I think I did a full clear of BRD once at level 60 and it took like 6 freaking hours. Your guild could literally clear MC quicker than a group could clear all of BRD and do all the side bosses. The length of BRD was such an annoyance that everyone figured out how to shorten it by cutting through the lava. That instance popularize lava jumping lol and just so you could skip 11 bosses to get to the one boss with decent drops.

Speaking of BRD, I wonder what the percentage of players is that realize that you can do a quest for the captured Princess in there to be lootable. I bet it is less 1%. It was a lot of fun being the only person who had done that quest chain back in Vanilla in a lot of my BRD runs so I always got the loot off her by default.
    I enjoyed BRS (BRD not so much). The guild I was in back then used to do a Sunday night UBRS run. Every Sunday night we'd go in and own the place. Didn't take very long, either. Once you've been through it a couple times, you get to know what you can and can't skip.

Just because the typical WoW player nowadays can't stay awake in an instance for more than twenty minutes doesn't mean there aren't some of us who could, and liked those runs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    You're missing the OP's point I think. He didn't suggest Blizzard should force us to do 6 hour dungeon runs. He asked for bigger dungeons with multiple wings. As most of you said, many bosses were optional and often left out in BRD, so why would you complain that a full clear run takes too much time?

It would be nice too have a large dungeon, which can be completed in 30 minutes, but still has some optional bosses standing if you want a larger run. I personally would rather do a 2 hour dungeon once a week than having to go through the 15 minute bullshit that is called daily heroic.
    I'd rather if Blizzard spent the resources of creating 5 additional bosses that are only rarely done, into another one or two "short" dungeons. Because that's another thing. Tell me of 5 bosses in BRD that were not simply standing there and bashing the tank whilke doing practically nothing else.
    If you may like the LK heroics or not, I'm sure that you can agree with me that each boss was designed uniquely and had an interesting, albeit most of the time easy to beat, mechanic.

Also note that regular dungeons currently take a good while to complete currently. Stonecore will have you busy for ~45 minutes, without wiping and on the proper gear level.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell me of 5 bosses in BRD that were not simply standing there and bashing the tank whilke doing practically nothing else.
    No dungeon boss in vanilla was much more than tank & spank. Nobody says that was good either, we all love the uniqueness of encounters nowadays. That doesn't mean that the very idea of having optional bosses is bad. Also, if optional bosses are rather simple fights, they won't take much of the developer's precious time, so there is not really a negative side at all.

Auchindoun, Tempest Keep, Coilfang Reservoir, Azjol-Nerub, Ulduar, Utgarde Keep, the Nexus.

All of these are dungeons with different "wings." The difference between them and vanilla instances was that you wouldn't have to spend 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get to the next wing or boss. And with the heroic lockouts, you wouldn't have to worry about getting saved to an instance and then having the group fall apart before you could move to a different area.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or a whole clear of BRD.

Does that make it "ok" that people are only concerned with the last boss and do anything to get to it quicker?
    I'm personally not "ok" with that. I get pissed off in Gundrak when people only do bosses required to get to the last boss, etc.
    I like big dungeons, I was one of the, what did you say? 1%? That did full clears of BRD, because it's fun. I highly doubt it's 1% because I know a lot of people who feel exactly the same about the subject.
    Rushing through instances isn't fun. A good, long, difficult heroic is what I'm looking for, not an AoE grindfest that last 5 minutes to a last boss. That's not a dungeon. That's a race.
    Heroic Shattered Halls in BC was a great example of a semi-difficult fun heroic. Before you had amazing gear, it even usually required CC, depending on the tank and healer you brought. That's what I want. I want to have to CC, think about pulls, think about bosses, not pull an entire room+the boss and not lose any HP at all as a DPS because the healer has absolutely no problem keeping the tank up with 9 mobs and a boss on him. That's stupid.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I miss Wailing Caverns and Maraudon. Probably the instances where I have made most of my friends, and some of the more challenging encounters at that level.