Cataclysm: Worries about End Game Discipline

I confess myself worried of the changes coming to Discipline in Cataclysm.

Reviewing the new trees, Discipline is feeling like the step-child tree that Holy and Shadow spec into after their 31 talent points are spent.

Evangelism and Archangel sound awesome for leveling, but my first instinct is to put those talent points in boosting heals at max level. As a matter of fact Discipline feels like the go-to tree for leveling both solo and through groups. You have the ability to kill stuff okay and still heal efficiently.

I can see Holy spending their extra ten points in the boosts to the strength of power world: shield, as well as it's instant cooldown. This could significantly change how Holy is played. If I, as a 85 level Discipline priest, put my ten talent points in Holy, I don't get nearly as beneficial a change.

Now, I have not heard much about Power Word: Barrier. It might be awesome for all I know.. I know from what I have heard about it.. it's not something I'm excited about. The first thing I think of is the barriers that protect you from Malygos attacks during his second phase. It's a cool utility, but I'm seriously concerned that it'll pop way too soon to be of much use. Especially with shielding becoming less of a focus according to the blues.

At this point it feels like I should be a Holy priest.. because the only thing I can't do is shield everyone all at once. I'm worried that raids will look at the Discipline Priest in Cataclysm with the same sort of desirability as a Frost Mage is in Wrath.

Are my worries unfounded?
    Last edited by astariaxv; 2010-08-21 at 12:42 AM. Reason: (Fire.. frost.. I can't keep them straight)

There is a Priest Forum on MMO-Champion -.-

Quote Originally Posted by xvkarbear View Post
    I'm worried that raids will look at the Discipline Priest in Cataclysm with the same sort of desirability as a Fire Mage is in Wrath.

Are my worries unfounded?
    Do you mean Frost Mages? Fire Mages are top DPS on basically every fight that Fury Warriors don't top o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    There is a Priest Forum on MMO-Champion -.-
    It's a cataclysm worry, though. There is no cataclym class subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsw View Post
    Do you mean Frost Mages? Fire Mages are top DPS on basically every fight that Fury Warriors don't top o_O
    Yup, I stand corrected.

You stand moved into the correct boards, but there's already a sticky for this. You're welcome to continue 4.0 woes and such there.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~