Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New Chain Heal Glyph - Any good?

Hey there

So the Chain Heal glyph for Shamans got changed from healing one extra target to:

"Glyph of Chain Heal: Increases healing done by your Chain Heal spell to targets beyond the first by 15%, but decreases the amount received by the initial target by 10%"

Often in raids im the raid healer and heal all around and i like to have a 4 target to heal alltho it may not be that much heal they get but its better than nothing.

My question is, is the change of this glyph better or is it a bad one to take if your an resto shaman?

Personally, I hate it.

But, maybe after we get some theorycrafting on it, I'll feel better.

Resto shaman are 'assumed' by many players to be AoE healers. Chain Heal is the only heal we have on live that lets us do that. Reducing the number of targets it hits may reduce the effectiveness of shamans as AoE healers. Chances are, if CH is less worth it, you'll see a LOT more shammy healers spot healing by sniping with Healing Wave in Cata.

Actually the 4 target portion of CH was made baseline. So this glyph is pretty solid.

Deleted
    Baseline? What, you mean that in Cata, it will normally be 4 targets or what?

You'll find it's a great glyph. One of the main problems of the chain heal is that usually the fist heal is way too big and has most of it's power wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuuu Drengen View Post
    Baseline? What, you mean that in Cata, it will normally be 4 targets or what?
    Yes. If I were an Enhancement Shaman or something, and I were to cast Chain Heal, it would hit 4 targets in range (just like the glyph works on live).

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Actually the 4 target portion of CH was made baseline. So this glyph is pretty solid.

Well, that changes EVERYTHING.

I retract my previous statement. I LOVE THIS GLYPH.

Deleted
    Seriously? you got a link to prove that? Im not sure blizz would make chain heal hit 4 targets without glyph suddenly

I'm playing my shaman right now on the beta server, and I can confirm that it hits 4 targets.

Give me a while to find it. I'm not the only person in the shaman forum to make this statement, but yeah I'll look for it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Straight from beta is better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedic View Post
    I'm playing my shaman right now on the beta server, and I can confirm that it hits 4 targets.
    wow thats just awsome. Suddenly i love this new glyph

question: Since Chain Heal's amount of healing done on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th target is based on how much it healed on the 1st target, will the extra 15% healing from the bounces be applied AFTER the decreased 10% on initial target?

This is based on what I read here on the site, since I don't have beta to test it out myself...

Assuming that your CH heals 10k without glyph on the first target, the following jumps would be:

1st target - 10k
    2nd target - 6k
    3rd target - 3.6k
    4th target - 2.16k

With glyph the total heal of each jump would be:

1st target - 9k
    2nd target - 6.75k
    3rd target - 5.10k
    4th target - 3.80k

If it works like this, then imo it's a GREAT GLYPH, total must-have... At least I'll be using it...

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    No.

CH in cata has only 30% penalty not 40%, so those numbers are wrong.

There are two possibilites with this glyph. One is that instead of 30% penalty we only get 15% penalty, and the other one (most likely, given the wording on the glyph) is that after 30% healing is increased by 15%. There were numbers for both ways in other thread.

First way is around ~12% more healing done, second way is around 5% more healing done.

First possibility

1,00 900
    0,85 765
    0,85 650,25
    0,85 552,7125

total 2867,9625

Second possibility

100 -> 100*.9=90
    70 -> 70*1.15=80.5
    49 -> 49*1.15=56.35
    34.3 -> 34.3*1.15=39.445

253.3 -> 266.295

Sorry I didn't know that change... Ooooops...

Anyway the math I did was based on the fact that the healing was reduced only 15%...

In fact I never thought about your second possibility but it makes more sense based on what is written on the glyph's description.

The Glyph is pretty good. It means that the smart heals from the CH jumps will heal for even more. Since those jumps target low hp members, plus your mastery, it will be super effective.

Chain Heal got nerfed though. It doesn't heal as much as it used to, and seems to have fallen to the aoe nerf that other dps and healing spells got. These numbers will still be adjusted of course, but it's barely worth casting in 5 mans, LHW spam is much better despite the mana cost.

Just at a quick glance, this basically turns this more into an AoE heal, which with our toolbox, is really good. I like it, I'll have to see the whole list of glyphs before I would say I would use it all the time, but definitely good
    Ya dangus

It's going to rock for resto.

Regardless of the math, here's the skinny:

Chain Heal is an multi-target heal spell, obviously. This glyph basically reduces CH's effectiveness by 10%, but then boosts it by 45%, for a net gain of 35%.

Boom. Done. Gimme the glyph already.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post

Resto shaman are 'assumed' by many players to be AoE healers. Chain Heal is the only heal we have on live that lets us do that.
    Well, do remember that this is Cataclysm beta, and we shaman get a new AoE healing spell, Healing Rains. I was actually very upset when i read the notes about the CH glyph, but now that i've read that it heals 4 baseline, that makes me much much happier.. maybe i'll level my shammy first after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon
    Chain Heal is an multi-target heal spell, obviously. This glyph basically reduces CH's effectiveness by 10%, but then boosts it by 45%, for a net gain of 35%.
    you may want to revisit the math on that, since each jump is reduced by 30% so its 10% off initial, then +15% to 70% +15% to 49% then 15% to 34.3% (as shown a few posts above) so the net increase is much lower than 35%
    Last edited by Jantasir; 2010-09-05 at 04:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Well, that changes EVERYTHING.

I retract my previous statement. I LOVE THIS GLYPH.
    XD well now you mention it!