Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Making money from glyphs

It can be me but in catacalysm making money from glyphs will be pretty much non existant. Every1 will buy all glyphs for there class once and can than swap them around whenever they want...

so is there going to be like another way for scribes to make money or is this going to be a dead proffesion ?
    Last edited by Soranis; 2010-09-02 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are adding a lot to Inscription besides just glyphs. Glyphs will sell just not a ton. Darkmoon Cards, Fortunes, things like that will be where the money is.

Glyphs were a horrible system from the scribe's side. Yes it is Scribe. Inscriptionist isn't a word.

you had to grind dungeons for books, or pay through your ass for them. And hope you got a glyph people actually use. And the research crap for minor glyph was just as bad.

There was only ever 2-3 good glyph people used due to cookie cutter builds and/or theorycrafting.

You made more money from inscription via vellums for enchanting, and making the darkmoon cards.

So this has what blizzard has expanded on. Scribes can make various assortment of offhands, trinkets and even relics/sigils/totems/librams.

Yes, to all you druids, paladins, shamans and Death Knights out there, people with inscription make some of your BIS items.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

just so you know i can make 20-30 k a week selling glyphs on a low pop server. so yes you make money at it. in cataclysm glyphs will be a dead market for the most part, hopefully there will be other stuff to sell.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I always wondered how people make money selling glyphs. I've only bought glyphs once. I don't switch them out. Got what I needed and never shopped or browsed ah do glyphs anymore.
    I'm so out of this world, I make telescopes squint.
    -=702 Gamer=-

Quote Originally Posted by Daemaro View Post
    They are adding a lot to Inscription besides just glyphs. Glyphs will sell just not a ton. Darkmoon Cards, Fortunes, things like that will be where the money is.
    1st reply closed this thread, thats a record!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
    I only shave my beard and balls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Glyphs were a horrible system from the scribe's side. Yes it is Scribe. Inscriptionist isn't a word.

Yes, to all you druids, paladins, shamans and Death Knights out there, people with inscription make some of your BIS items.
    It's a word now... Shakespeare invented over 1700 words now commonly used in the english language so why can't we make up one?

Oh and doubtful that anything crafted will ever be BiS for anyone while there's raids to be done...

Talking

There will be new glyphs which everyone will want. Right now demand is low and there are just a few scribes making glyphs and undercutting is the dominant activity. I have seen demand rise transiently after patches and that is what will happen with Cata. Scribes won't be able to keep up and glyph prices will rise as a result. This process may be ameliorated somewhat by scribes that were driven out by undercutting returning to the glyph market. I know that I have driven out a few and there are several trying to give me the boot right now.

This increased demand will last quite a while as people level their mains and then alts.

I'm fine with the glyph system right now. Restocking is slightly awkward, but nearly every other step of running a glyph business can be automated in part or in full, and it is great money.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire View Post
    It's a word now... Shakespeare invented over 1700 words now commonly used in the english language so why can't we make up one?
    Why replace a perfectly fine word with a longer one that also has the disadvantage of sounding less fluid? Even most synonyms have subtle differences; this is not the case here.

It does seem a bit... strange... that they are making glyphs non-consumable.

It would be about the same magnitude of change as if you made EVERY flask into a never-ending flask. Sure, alchemists would still have potions and transmutes... but it wouldn't take long for every single person in the game to own one of each of the flasks they ever use, and never need to buy any more.
    Last edited by Einzweidrei; 2010-09-03 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

dont forget...

that they said in the post that they were completely overhauling the glyph system, and i notice several more spaces for new glyphs, so dont get all uptight and worried just yet, let the beta unfold and see what release brings, and remember, WoW is constantly changing, they will fix it if its badly broken, just complain alot if it bugs you that much

Beta = beta, scribes will still have ways to make money. The recipe-reforge thing seems quite promising to me, in addition to the minipets and the offhands, ofcourse.
    Bear in mind that right now glyphs aren't the only profitable market, Rituals of the New Moon tends to sell quite well if you advertise it a little, besides the armor and weapon vellums ofc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure everyone will stock up on glyphs at the start of catacylsm. But like blues said, there will be new ways for inscription to make money. It may not be as amazing as glyphs are right now (varies by server), but should still be a viable profession for decent income.

They will probably have a new type of work for scribes.

Well, you need a consumable produced by scribes to unlearn a glyph.

Imo a really good move, since now it is like every other profession where you make dozens of a few items, instead few of hundred different items
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

Also think about this: There are 3 new glyph slots coming. That means each toon will need a bare minimum of 6 new glyphs (due to dual spec.) Odds are really good that every class/spec will have to replace at least a few of their current glyphs in addition to the new ones as well. You will also find players like me who plan to acquire EVERY glyph on multiple toons just so that I have the option of swapping if needed in some odd scenario. Don't gouge, don't sell for less than cost of mats, and I think you will find that even if all you make are actual glyphs, you will still stand to make a pretty copper once Cata goes live.

I think the glyph market will be bigger in Cata then now in WotLK. New alts will still need glyphs, and they will need 9 now instead of 6. Players will buy the bad glyphs too, because they can learn it once and forget about it. There is a high chance that the current Glyph market is 70% new alts and 30% respecing. These percentages are made up numbers, but based on my experience the leveling glyphs, which are shit at the endgame, are selling really well. So there is a big chance that the Cataclysm glyph market will be even more profitable/higher volume than the current one.

In my case I did not bought any new glyphs on level 80 toons for half a year now, all my glyph purchases was for alts. So respecing is not where the glyph money is, it's new glyphs (after a patch) and new alts. Which does not change in Cataclysm at all.

To be honest I'm going to put my glyphs up on the AH for around 120g. You want them forever? You pay the price. If scribes have the glyphs you need and they are ONE-TIME to buy and then you have them forever. I believe glyphs will be put up on the AH for over 100g at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire View Post
    Oh and doubtful that anything crafted will ever be BiS for anyone while there's raids to be done...
    Darkmoon Card:Greatness?

www.Ronin-guild.eu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamwell View Post
    To be honest I'm going to put my glyphs up on the AH for around 120g. You want them forever? You pay the price.
    LOL, I will supply my guild for free, same as many others guild scribers :P as long as guild provides mats.

If scribes have the glyphs you need and they are ONE-TIME to buy and then you have them forever. I believe glyphs will be put up on the AH for over 100g at least.
    Remember, you are not alone, 100 more scribers will compete you so price will drop back to 10g in hours :P