Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fan of Knives change

From the latest beta build:
    Fan of Knives now costs 35 Energy, down from 50 Energy. Now deals 80% of thrown weapon damage.

So it looks like we'll have to carry around two ranged weapons, one random ranged for stats and one thrown ranged for some occasional aoe.

Whats your opinion on it?

Deleted
    The reduced energy cost is the way I see it only a way to compensate the lacking damage FoK does on beta since it's depending on the thrown and not the melee weapons you have.

The dmg FoK does atm is so low compared to other classes AE attacks. Now I know that it's only beta and it's not tweaked yet etc. But I think it's an easier way to adjust the lacking dmg - to make us able to spam FoK more times instead, hopefully applying more poisons to the targets - instead of starting to tweak the %-wep dmg FoK is gonna have until a reasonable number is reached.

Ermmm.

what are these thrown ranged you speak about?

I thought ranged weapons like throwing stars already had built in stats so you wouldnt need to switch for aoe? :S

Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    Ermmm.

what are these thrown ranged you speak about?

I thought ranged weapons like throwing stars already had built in stats so you wouldnt need to switch for aoe? :S
    I think what he might have meant was that you will always need to have ONE thrown weapon on you, even if it's a tier below you.

Currently, a rogue can use a thrown, gun, bow or crossbow, depending on which one in our bags have the best stats. If you get a nice bow in the first raid in cata, you'd still need to keep your 5-man thrown so you could do AoE damage, even though the stats on the bow are far superior.
    "There is a fly in the ointment. Shit has hit the fan. The lion will speak!" - Saul Silver

At least I hope they give is proper thrown weapons since our BIS ranged are not thrown.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the change so we can spam FoK a little faster. FoK for 50 energy...or waiting 5 seconds between fans...always felt a little long to me, especially when other aoes are ticking much, much faster meaning they get more because they're dpsing right up until the point that the mobs die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I like the change so we can spam FoK a little faster. FoK for 50 energy...or waiting 5 seconds between fans...always felt a little long to me, especially when other aoes are ticking much, much faster meaning they get more because they're dpsing right up until the point that the mobs die.
    Well it's not actually 5 seconds because of all the energy-regen-talents and CDs we have now, the larger pack of mobs you're AoEing the shorter period of time you've gotta wait due to Focused Attacks. But that talent is long gone in cataclysm as well, so this change is needed if we're gonna be able to help at all during AoE-sessions.

But ye I can also imagine that it's not as much fun with huge AoE-packs for a combat rogue, unless the mobs dies fairly quickly and you can have BF and AR up, but you won't have that for every pack.
    Last edited by mmoc898f6b28e8; 2010-09-27 at 07:40 AM.

I like this change, Ive always used thrown over gun/bows even if it was lower ilvl, I just like to be able to use deadly throw even in pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninji View Post
    At least I hope they give is proper thrown weapons since our BIS ranged are not thrown.
    if its not thrown its not "your" Bis. so, rogues gotta use thrown. i like it. it makes alot more sense than a rogue usin a gun or something.

It will probably also mean, that they'll (finally) itemize good throwing weapons. Yay for pve abuse in pvp
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    if its not thrown its not "your" Bis. so, rogues gotta use thrown. i like it. it makes alot more sense than a rogue usin a gun or something.
    This makes no sence. Since we never do ranged attacks that matter and our weapons effect our melee attacks then the ranged weapon for BiS is based only on stats not type.

Deleted
    Imo we should be able to have fan of guns and fan of bows. We could throw a bunch of guns everywhere

Yeah but if they dont itemize properly then that might lead to rogues taking guns to use for singletarget fights. Ofc itemization will matter a bit less now in cata when we have reforging.

But the bigger problem might be that blizz feels like thrown will be like relics and buyable with emblems, and that might lead to that bows and guns will have much higher ilvl than thrown weapons like how its now.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't really a bad thing as long as they itemize thrown weapons properly

But... What about poisons? =P Vile Poisons still increases the chance of applying poison by 100%... From our melee weapons... According to the tooltip ofc ^^

How about a small passive bonus to stats on a range item for rogues if the range item is a throw weapon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noldi View Post
    I think what he might have meant was that you will always need to have ONE thrown weapon on you, even if it's a tier below you.

Currently, a rogue can use a thrown, gun, bow or crossbow, depending on which one in our bags have the best stats. If you get a nice bow in the first raid in cata, you'd still need to keep your 5-man thrown so you could do AoE damage, even though the stats on the bow are far superior.
    Yea but with the stat change its only Rogues and Hunters using those items.
    So they will make Bows/guns/XB for hunters and Throwing for rogues. But leave it as it is so rogues can use the others if a hunter doesn't need. But really rogues should be using thrown in cata.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Yea but with the stat change its only Rogues and Hunters using those items.
    So they will make Bows/guns/XB for hunters and Throwing for rogues. But leave it as it is so rogues can use the others if a hunter doesn't need. But really rogues should be using thrown in cata.
    Or just use both as stated above... There will be fights where aoe isn't needed, and on those fights the items with the best stats wins, and can thus be needed... Period.

Most boss fights don't require FoK thus far, and I doubt that changes too much. Deadly throw is pretty much useless on bosses without the interupt talent, which you probably won't have, and even if you did its very very situational. If a gun/bow is even a tiny bit better for dps then I will be using one. Also you can't reforge all the secondary stats, only part of them. So no, reforging won't stop something thats better itemized for us from being better.

Why dont they fix the stats on thrown weapons so rogues will use them instead since thrown weapons seem to be the lowest dps weapons atm and i know i have a crossbow for my ranged weapon because the thrown weapon doesnt have the stats or damage to support my needs and how will we apply poison if it does thrown weapon damage now.
    The spirit of the alliance will never die even when all is lost