Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

prot warriors taking more damage after the patch?

as the title says i belive i take more damage than before the patch. is there someone who feels the same way? any sugestions?

i was doing LK on tuesday and healers said i was taking alot of dmg :S

I did some heroics yesterday, and healers had a lot of trouble keeping well geared tanks up. Seen it with Pala's and warriors, not sure about DK's.

Deleted
    I had actually expected that because the bosses arnt changed to cata mode in this patch but the players are :-/

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you take more damage because you only gain the random "you block this much now!" rather than the static "you block 2000 damage each time". You can no longer outright block any attack, you only block a percent.

The way I see it though, this will be awesome come 85 with improved mastery ratings and such.

Deleted
    It may be that they upped NPC damage to keep up with the increasing healthpools. I've been noticing this alot when doing dailies etc.

Plus, I think armor was reduced slightly overall. Not too sure about it, but I know my guild's tanks were saying something about it. It may have just been about the trinkets; for a while armor trinkets were glitched and lost their armor. Anyways, yes, you will be taking more damage right now due to mechanic and gear changes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mob damage seems to be upped a bit. Regardless, I suggest tanking heroics in dps gear, it's still easy to heal and you will have almost as good aggro as prepatch.

---------- Post added 2010-10-14 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kimirik View Post
    Plus, I think armor was reduced slightly overall. Not too sure about it, but I know my guild's tanks were saying something about it. It may have just been about the trinkets; for a while armor trinkets were glitched and lost their armor. Anyways, yes, you will be taking more damage right now due to mechanic and gear changes.
    Ah yeah, extra armor from gear is gone/reduced. And blocks are percentage based now.

They had a slight armor nerf that changed a lot of our armor values, however they also increased the health pools of dps gear.

My solution was to pack on DPS gear (57.5kHP) reforge the highest stat of the gear (crit or haste) into mastery. I also am now wearing an armor trinket, since they hotfixed the armor values back on.

I currently have a 90% chance to not take full damage. (mitigation)

The dumbest part about vengeance is that it's based on taking damage, which is why I went this route with all of our dps doing ridiculous numbers (30k fire mage ugh)

So, High health + compliments ICC, armor trinket compliments the health, taking a lot less damage on physical fights now. Doing a magic fight? Theres a glyph for that (paladin atleast)

Armor on items was reduced but your overall mitigation from it did not drop by much. I lost several thousand Armor on my DK but only lost less then 2% damage reduction. The biggest change is with Warriors and Paladins due to the changes with Shield Block. It's more RNG based now like others have said and you are no longer always blocking a certain amount of damage from every attack. Avoidence was also nerfed, u get slightly less Dodge and Parry per point now. Add all the stuff up, especailly the changes to Shield Block, and you are going to be taking more damage.

They got rid of the Chill of the Throne debuff due to all of the changes so don't be afraid to pick up some Dodge to help fight off that incoming damage. There are alot of Dodge trinkets out there that tanks have ignored for the last year because of that Chill of the Throne debuff combined with the stat buff in ICC. We all have more health then we did before the patch so try swapping out a Health trinket for a Dodge Trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    Armor on items was reduced but your overall mitigation from it did not drop by much. I lost several thousand Armor on my DK but only lost less then 2% damage reduction. The biggest change is with Warriors and Paladins due to the changes with Shield Block. It's more RNG based now like others have said and you are no longer always blocking a certain amount of damage from every attack. Avoidence was also nerfed, u get slightly less Dodge and Parry per point now. Add all the stuff up, especailly the changes to Shield Block, and you are going to be taking more damage.

They got rid of the Chill of the Throne debuff due to all of the changes so don't be afraid to pick up some Dodge to help fight off that incoming damage. There are alot of Dodge trinkets out there that tanks have ignored for the last year because of that Chill of the Throne debuff combined with the stat buff in ICC. We all have more health then we did before the patch so try swapping out a Health trinket for a ARMOR" Trinket.
    From 72% physical damage reduction to 64%, that's where people are getting hit harder, not the rng. The new blocking is better. Blocking Sindragosas attacks down from 40k to 28k, is pretty damn sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelcalypse View Post
    I did some heroics yesterday, and healers had a lot of trouble keeping well geared tanks up. Seen it with Pala's and warriors, not sure about DK's.
    This is just wrong!

As a pala you can reforge all your doge to mastery and you can get 102,4% combined doge, parry and block which makes you unhitable (you cant get a hit that eigther blocked doged or parryed).

Thanks to the block change (block reduces damage by 30%) this gives a flat 30% dmg reduce.

So you actually take a lot less dmg then before!

Same goes for a Warri, you might have to use 1 or 2 reforged doge trinkets to get unhittable but you should get it and take a lot less dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by elira View Post
    This is just wrong!

As a pala you can reforge all your doge to mastery and you can get 102,4% combined doge, parry and block which makes you unhitable (you cant get a hit that eigther blocked doged or parryed).

Thanks to the block change (block reduces damage by 30%) this gives a flat 30% dmg reduce.

So you actually take a lot less dmg then before!

Same goes for a Warri, you might have to use 1 or 2 reforged doge trinkets to get unhittable but you should get it and take a lot less dmg.
    That isn't how math works...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakosa View Post
    Welcome to how the game was always and is supposed to be played. Have fun not being able to be an autistic shit anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmageddon View Post
    He's correct, and there's no math in his post, what are you talking about?

One could add the word "physical" after "30%", but other than that, reaching for unhittable is not a bad idea.

---------- Post added 2010-10-14 at 02:09 PM ----------

We take more damage in heroic dungeons because our shield used to block a static value of damage, and because we lost a lot of armor. In raids we should take less damage than before, the Chill of the Throne is removed, we block higher amounts of damage, our armor is lower but the health has also gone up somewhat.

It's most likely just the healers not doing their job as well as they're used to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmageddon View Post
    2 bad, math is old enough to solve it's own problems

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    It's most likely just the healers not doing their job as well as they're used to.
    wondered how long it would be until someone blamed the healers...

not sure about warriors but you mentioned dks, well they are pretty good right now. me and some friends were spamming some heroics, our dk tank went to his dps spec so i had something to do.

you know you arent needed when your dps is higher than your hps
    medicus quercum, venit.
    One's soldiers should not yell abuse at the enemy. "Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the ferocity of a dragon." - Takeda Nobushige

Not sure what you guys on about but with the build I have on my Warrior Alt with 264 Average iLevel I'm receiving barely any damage, and I'm healing like a truck! had arround 200k self healing after Draktharon Keep Heroic.

https://eu.wowarmory.com/character-s...ppes&cn=Aellai

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    In raids we should take less damage than before, the Chill of the Throne is removed, we block higher amounts of damage, our armor is lower but the health has also gone up somewhat.
    while the general statement is correct and I don't critique that, but we also lost defense, which was a flat 18,6% loss of block dodge and parry (6,2% each for me at least). I don't know if the additional dodge/parry we gained from the removal of defense is completely backing this up (I doubt that)... we aren't worse, that's for sure, but we didn't gain a flat 20% avoid from the removal of CotT either. On the other side, we gained quite a big chunk of block, which also helps a lot (as mentioned before )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    Not sure what you guys on about but with the build I have on my Warrior Alt with 264 Average iLevel I'm receiving barely any damage, and I'm healing like a truck! had arround 200k self healing after Draktharon Keep Heroic.

https://eu.wowarmory.com/character-s...ppes&cn=Aellai
    You got insanely much crit gems

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

I'm taking SLIGHTLY more damage in heroic 5 mans than I was previously. I reforged dodge to mastery and have like 43 or greater chance to block, though, so I expect to take the same or maybe less damage in raid. I'm still trying to get out of a years long habit of queing HS with every gcd. I never macro'd it because I wanted to control my rage usage, so now I'm trying to break the habit.