Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    ok, managed to down Attumen and baron Gedon today.
    I can't seem to get past Garr though. Tried nuking him down, but then adds killed me after MI. Tried AoE'ing down the adds while using MI, but that didn't work either as I couldn't down them in time.

Anyone has an idea on how to tackle this one as frost?

[edit]

I managed to down Garr as well.

Tacts:
    Put up Mana shield, slow fall, mage ward and ice barrier and refresh them as soon as they run out due to damage or the dispel aura.
    Put pet on Garr. Pop MI and IV. Start killing the firesworn with single target dps. Piercing chill, CoC and frost armour will allow for quite a few FoF or BF procs to help to get them down fast. After I think 4 or 5, MI ran out so I tanked the firesworn while my pet was still on Garr. After I killed all the adds, I healed with evocation and started attacking Garr.
    I popped invis as soon as I took agro of my pet, but regained before he went down. So I tanked about 40-50% of him which wasn't that hard considering he hits quite soft while mana shield and ice barrier helped negating the damage.
    Last edited by takolin; 2010-10-17 at 03:05 PM.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    I can't seem to get past Garr though. Tried nuking him down, but then adds killed me after MI. Tried AoE'ing down the adds while using MI, but that didn't work either as I couldn't down them in time.

Anyone has an idea on how to tackle this one as frost?
    let the pet tank the adds and you/your mirror images tank the boss.
    pull them with your pet's Frost Nova and start nuking the boss, forget the adds at all, he doesn't hit that hard and by the time MI ends, the boss is almost dead (depending on your gear). when the boss die, then you kill his adds.
    that worked for me

When trying to redirect agro to your pet, can you go fully invisible or should you take it off right before you go fully invisible?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Soloing with fun is although silghtly harder, way more fun in 4.0.1. The basic idea is to keep loving bomb up, and keep scorching your enemy while kiteing away, abuse blink and mirror images to keep ahead (on most bosses you can get a few casts off while your images are up aswell). Abuse cauterize + iceblock to get yourself healed up another 50%. You can also use a glyphed evocation to heal up during mirror images.

Managed to solo the mount and tome bosses in zg and anzu (quite hard) this way so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    When trying to redirect agro to your pet, can you go fully invisible or should you take it off right before you go fully invisible?
    going fully invisible doesn't evade the boss, if that's what you are wondering, it will attack the pet instead and wipe just YOUR threat.

what seems to be the best way to keep your water ele alive while not pulling off what ever you trying to kill I seemed to pull off after 1 frostbolt
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

May be a bit off topic, but tiger boss in ZG is easier as fire tbh.

Went in there this evening with both frost and fire. fire did it much faster and much safer than frost.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tried Mandokir four or five times but could hardly take him down to 60%. Is there some trick I'm missing here? What do you do when he is watching you - just stop attacking? And at what point do you pop your MI? Do you just ignore the raptor or take it down while your pet holds aggro on him?
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    I tried Mandokir four or five times but could hardly take him down to 60%. Is there some trick I'm missing here? What do you do when he is watching you - just stop attacking? And at what point do you pop your MI? Do you just ignore the raptor or take it down while your pet holds aggro on him?
    I've done it twice now.

1st go: clear the whole room. Kill the speaker, send pet to bloodlord while dps'ing down the raptor with MI. Popped invis after I pulled of my pet. Tanked bloodlord after I regained agro. Keeping up ice barrier and mana shield as much as I could.

2nd go: killed speaker and ran upstairs. Started to nuke bloodlord while pet was on the raptor. Used invis when I needed the evo heal, but tanked him for the bigger part barring the 1st 30 seconds under MI.

2nd way seems to go faster and ice barrier + mana shield tends to keep you alive long enough.

I just tried solo'ing Anzu, it took me like 1.30hour of attempts. A learning curve of trying out how to solo an elite boss with phases and no real aggro reset.

Also my mage is new to lvl 80, so only has some T10 (3/5) i could of used the 18% extra dmg from 4pt10. Some pvp gear would make it alot easier, but i'm working on pve stuff atm.

What i did for Anzu was;

Get the pet to stand by the door and pull aggro as i stand in the middle of the room. As soon as Anzu gets to my elemental, i nuke with no cooldowns (just ice barrier, and mana shield) by the time Anzu got to me he would be going into his inmune phase.

I'd nova and freeze the birds while blizzard ontop.

As soon as the 2nd dps phase happens, i pop mirror image. And nuke hard without using any other CD. I would wait a moment before nuking so he'd go for one of the 3 images instead. He then would cycle through them untill their dead. He'd usually be almost at 33% by the time the 3rd image was dead.

Once his at 33% he went back into his inmune phase, i just nova and blizzard them down.

3rd DPS phase was the tricky one. I used both shields and got at max range, nukked Anzu, and let him come upto me, dps on me till i was getting hurt and both shields were in CD. I would blink then invish as soon as i invish i used Evocation (60% health recovered) i would then nuke, he managed to kill my elemental so i summoned another one and just nuked and ice blocked when it got too much with health, my elemental was able to gain aggro and take him down to 4% (was on about 8% when i IB), i just finished him off. No mount though, was a fun experience learning it though.

Soloing Anzu and Thekal without many difficulties. Just time MI correctly as well as other CDs, it's not too hard. Did both in full wrathful and please know that i used absolutely no bugs.

I invis'd (glyphed)and imp. blinked my way through to anzu room pretty easily; only needed 1 pause at the stealth detect boss whilst waiting for invis cd to refresh.
    At anzu I started at the corner of the room, arcane explosion'd til I proc'd missiles, threw 'em and blasted all of 4 times for anzu to banish. Bird phase: popped MIs and just AEd them. Just gotta watch for the self harm casting debuff (but u have ample nuf time). Then I just popped CDs (speed pot, AP, mana gem) n spammed ABs. Anzu died b4 a 2nd banish. Lolol.
    Also managed to solo tiger boss (got the mount! GG) n raptor. Arcane blasts are srsly messed up dmg ATM.
    Would have bn fine with garr n baron except somehow I kept pulling mobs which were like 100 yards away. Got a dk mate to come along n we pewpewd our way to success. Yay.
    Cool trick: bring 5 mages to togc + shaman n zerg every boss for super cheev b4 nerf n togc cheevs get taken away.

Soloing is DANG fun.
    solo'd Thekal in roughly 45 seconds(didn't check).
    Solo'd The raptor boss in 29 seconds. of course he dropped the raptor mount....that i already got back in febuary.
    Solo'd MgT. I already have the ugly chicken, but i was seeing if i could anyway(Still want the orb and maybe the pet)

Tried anzu as fire. used images phase 1, was cake, end of phase 2 was trouble....i couldn't do it alone. but i read how frost mages are doing it, and im going to have to try again as frost or maybe even arcane. Thank you guys . now if only i could solo Garr and get my second binding, but i run it with a shammy friend who is in it for the rep.

i hope somebody finds these numbers even slightly useful

~~~
    Kael'Thas in MgT
    ~Fire: 33 seconds(44 with death speech)
    ~Frost: 26 seconds(37 with death speech)

~~~~
    Attumen:
    ~fire: n/a
    ~Frost: 1:06

Thekal:
    ~Fire: 1:01

Bloodlord(raptor boss)
    ~Fire: 29 sec
    Last edited by cfeuer1; 2010-10-18 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added into
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifer2005
    Turning Off Experience has ruined BGs!

Anzu, Raptor mount guy and Tiger mount guy soloed with fire. Having all those stuns really helps.

+Evocation glyph on Anzu does save ur butt,

Nothing *new* has been soloed in 4.0.1 though. A lot of already soloable stuff became a pushover, however. Frost is generally not needed or even always optimal, mind you

Plenty of bosses where you can just run in, pop mirrors and CD's and spam Arcane Blast. It's neat.

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Nothing *new* has been soloed in 4.0.1 though. A lot of already soloable stuff became a pushover, however. Frost is generally not needed or even always optimal, mind you

Plenty of bosses where you can just run in, pop mirrors and CD's and spam Arcane Blast. It's neat.
    Even though nothing new has been solo'ed, it's made considerably easier with an increase in damage output and/or higher survivability and pet tanking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    Just wondering, do you happen to have any advice on how to take down Baron Geddon? Tried killing him after killing Garr, but I seem to died when Baron gets to around 50-100k hp.

Living Bomb seems to be what kills me mostly, as I sometimes get crit for 14-15k.
    Last edited by Spellweaver; 2010-10-21 at 01:46 AM.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

I came to this thread with the sole purpose of deciding the spec to solo. Well, I didn't come even close to my goal ;_;

So, Arcane mages can solo classic raids and BC heroics as easily as frost?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    Just wondering, do you happen to have any advice on how to take down Baron Geddon? Tried killing him after killing Garr, but I seem to died when Baron gets to around 50-100k hp.

Living Bomb seems to be what kills me mostly, as I sometimes get crit for 14-15k.
    Use Ice Barrier, Mage Ward and Mana shield, as well as slow fall and try to get him down as fast as possible. You don't want him casting Inferno too many times. First one or two should be soaked by images and your pet and the other two ice blocked, otherwise you get too much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post

Use mage armor.
    Put pet on passive for a bit.
    Keep up mana shield, slow fall, ice barrier and mage ward during the whole fight even when you're not tanking him to negate any damage.

Pull him from his room down in the tunnel while the pet is on passive.
    As soon as he's positioned, put the pet on him, pop MI and IV and start nuking him down.
    After MI ends, you tank Gedon, while moving out of inferno, until your HP is getting to low. Only then pop invis. Use evocation to heal, but beware of living bomb so you get everything out of LB.

After that just burn him down. You should be able to kill him that way. And don't forget to cold snap DF and IV for maximum pewpew.

If needed you can IB 1 living bomb as well (and a 2nd if you have coldsnap not used on damage), but I never saw the need. I just move out of inferno as he stop moving during it so a quick blink suffices.