Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Playing in Windowed mode

As the title suggests, I have almost always played in windowed mode, and now after patch (mind you I play w/ max settings) I have this problem.

My problem is when I have my browser (firefox) open and doing w/e activities your imagination decides, I get huge stuttering in game. Its very annoying when trying to level or do w/e I'm doing and it happens. All of my drivers are update, and of course my UI is still buggy, but I disabled my UI to no avail.

I searched "stuttering" but didn't find a thread with a similar problem, so sorry if this is being discussed else where, thank you in advance for any tips and or guidance.

Worries me...

I play windowed on a 22'' monitor, but havent had access to WoW or my gaming PC for about 3 months due to Uni starting. Hope this doesn't remain a problem for windowed players :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lukkyz View Post
    As the title suggests, I have almost always played in windowed mode, and now after patch (mind you I play w/ max settings) I have this problem.

My problem is when I have my browser (firefox) open and doing w/e activities your imagination decides, I get huge stuttering in game. Its very annoying when trying to level or do w/e I'm doing and it happens. All of my drivers are update, and of course my UI is still buggy, but I disabled my UI to no avail.

I searched "stuttering" but didn't find a thread with a similar problem, so sorry if this is being discussed else where, thank you in advance for any tips and or guidance.
    i've noticed it too and sometimes when i click on a link the game freezes for a few seconds, using chrome.

10+ Year Old Account

Probably want to post this in another part of the forum [edit: unless you meant a Cata beta patch. >.>], but...I have the same exact problem. I play multi-monitor windowed mode on Ultra settings and with firefox open everything just stutters and lags. I have to turn firefox off and re-login to WOW to fix it. Very annoying and only started happening since 4.0.1.
    Last edited by ImNot1337; 2010-10-16 at 08:10 AM.

Deleted
    Now... Stuttering is some sort of a speech disorder according to google so not much help there... But I play in windowed mode since forever and after the patch, from time to time, the game stucks every second for like a milisecond. Seems a bit like I had some FPS drops which is pretty much impossible (I am at 120 in Dala f.e.). Doesnt happen when not in windowed mode.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Now... Stuttering is some sort of a speech disorder according to google so not much help there...
    Hah.

Deleted
    Well not everyone is native english speaker and I dont exactly know what are you referring to by stuttering here :P.

wasn't laughing at that, sorry, I searched mmo-champs not google XD

I've been playing in Windowed for a long time, I cant really say I've noticed any difference in with the new patch. Infact, it just works as it did previously.
    I guess you could try the ususal, like a gfx driver update.

Same thing happening here. Was fine before. they need to optimize better methinks. Using Chrome.

It may have something to do with the packet demand of WoW after the patch. If your browser is actively updating cookies while you are tabbed away looking at WoW, they could be causing a queue on your processor.

Deleted
    I also had problems running WoW in window mode. I have two monitors so in order to be able to use both with ease I need to be in windowed > maximized mode. It didn't stutter and lag, though, I just couldn't have things get focus over WoW. After removing and reapplying the settings it's all fine again.

Quote Originally Posted by Starskee View Post
    It may have something to do with the packet demand of WoW after the patch. If your browser is actively updating cookies while you are tabbed away looking at WoW, they could be causing a queue on your processor.
    Yea, a friend of mine suggested the same thing, but the problem persisted after disabling cookies.

Deleted
    Try checking in video > advanced and play with Max foreground fps and Max Background FPS

wow no ones figured this out yet lol. its the new fps limiter

goto video, advanced, and max background fps on the right, slide that to where ya want
    Used to be:
    (---melee---)(--frost mages--)(---------------ranged---------------)
    Now:
    (---melee---)(----corpses-----)(---------------ranged---------------)
    Frost Nova me now. I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by watupinthebutt View Post
    Try checking in video > advanced and play with Max foreground fps and Max Background FPS
    Thank you, that did help mitigate it, but I can still notice it a lil bit.

Thank you, that did help mitigate it, but I can still notice it a lil bit.
    alright check the other vid settings on the first tab then, when patch went live it messed with a ton of settings. when i logged on everything was on ultra and my system can bearly handle good lol

if that still doesnt fix it then its either your browser causeing the problem or some system update is going on
    Used to be:
    Now:

funny my game actualy got smoother, it auto tweaked some settings (only put some higher weirdly enough).
    always have been running windowed mode aswell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wattsxi View Post
    alright check the other vid settings on the first tab then, when patch went live it messed with a ton of settings. when i logged on everything was on ultra and my system can bearly handle good lol

if that still doesnt fix it then its either your browser causeing the problem or some system update is going on
    Yeah, I did all that as well. I'm beginning to think it's Firefox...going to switch to Chrome for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNot1337 View Post
    Yeah, I did all that as well. I'm beginning to think it's Firefox...going to switch to Chrome for a while.

ctrl shift esc, put wow on the highest priority, thatll give a few extra fps

while in there check if theres any java aps runnin, on my rig thats 100k of resources takein so close it if your not useing it.

if nothin else helps then restart, if that still doesnt fix it ya might have a virus or someone is barrowing your connection
    Used to be:
    Now: