Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Explanation as to low Enh DPS in 4.0.1

Ok, this was posted in another thread and has since been forgotten, but given that apparently 90% of people around here didn't read it and continue to call the end of the world for Enh Shamans, here it is again. For those that don't read EJ, this comes from Rouncer, one of the top Enh Shaman theorycrafters in the world (along with Levva <3).

PS - as an aside that armor DR aspect is why we are doing so badly on the meters in 4.0.1. All melee was low because the armor constant will be changing for 81+ so bosses will have less DR then they do currently but that isn't in effect now. So how low the melee specs ended up was very dependent on their ratio of physical versus magic damage. Problem is that instead of reworking the armor constant to take the Bosses DR to the new lower levels they (for whatever reason) decided to do base damage increases on the classes/specs that they thought were too low. So the buffs are uneven which has thrown us under the bus since we weren't horrible looking initially since we are only about 50% physical so we didn't get any buffs but still our physical is lagging behind because we didn't get any buffs.
    For anyone who is not 100% sure what that means, this essentially means all boss armour values in Cataclysm will be lower than they currently are on live. Now, the reason Blizzard buffed seemingly every melee class except Enh Shaman, was the fact we do 50% magic damage and therefore did not look quite so bad compared to other melee classes (Warriors losing 10k DPS, etc). Yes, some classes/specs now might be considered 'OP' compared to us now, but this is all being balanced out in Beta for level 85. If your biggest complaints are the gaps in the rotation, then this is a separate issue, but personally I find it refreshing not being GCD capped (then again I'm a raid leader so maybe more appreciative of gaps than others).

It would be nice if the above information is not forgotten within the hour and we could see a stop to the "OMFG ENH SHAMAN ARE DEAD RE-ROLL" threads.

Deleted
    Enhancement in beta isn't that good compared to other classes.

Why they buffed all melees when they could nerf bosses armor? Wouldn't it be fair if its just armor DR problem?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylz View Post

It would be nice if the above information is not forgotten within the hour and we could see a stop to the "OMFG ENH SHAMAN ARE DEAD RE-ROLL" threads.
    Use the report button and I should be on it
    Also im struggerling to work out why Blizz just didn't nerf boss armour as well. Doesn't make much sence, especially since arp (as a stackable stat) has been removed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordenrox View Post
    Enhancement in beta isn't that good compared to other classes.

Why they buffed all melees when they could nerf bosses armor? Wouldn't it be fair if its just armor DR problem?
    That is a question for Blizzard my good man! A better approach, in my opinion, would have been to tweak boss armour on Live, however none of us have any idea on what that may have caused.

I'm enjoying Enhancement in Beta mind you though, especially in PvP, which I am genuinely suprised about.

10+ Year Old Account
    That they probably didn't wanted to rework it all completely, knowing this is all stats balanced around the "arp stacking era". As i think it's more then just changing the armor value.

And so the time investment needed to correct it for all classes was too great to deal with with just another 2 months at most, so only the worst classes got buffed and the best got nerfed, as that's the easiest fix, just look what damage the abilities used to do, or seening at the how the buff go applied how much the total dmg of the class was suppose to be at and buff the multipliers.
    Leaving those that were in the middle (us) back to the complete buttom, as for all melee classes i believe we are currently the worst off.

If we aren't competitive enough in cataclysm they'll correct that. Still i believe we atleast deserve a buff to our physical abilities very much so like they did for paladin.

Yep, i posted that quote a few times, still i think those who want to rage blindly will continue to do so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    That they probably didn't wanted to rework it all completely, knowing this is all stats balanced around the "arp stacking era". As i think it's more then just changing the armor value.

And so the time investment needed to correct it for all classes was too great to deal with with just another 2 months at most, so only the worst classes got buffed and the best got nerfed, as that's the easiest fix, just look what damage the abilities used to do, or seening at the how the buff go applied how much the total dmg of the class was suppose to be at and buff the multipliers.
    Leaving those that were in the middle (us) back to the complete buttom, as for all melee classes i believe we are currently the worst off.

If we aren't competitive enough in cataclysm they'll correct that. Still i believe we atleast deserve a buff to our physical abilities very much so like they did for paladin.

Yep, i posted that quote a few times, still i think those who want to rage blindly will continue to do so.
    If worst clases got buffed, and rets were on par with us, why didn't they buff us?
    At least our ret was doing same dps as me before the buff, now he just break the meters. and my alt ret is just too OP comparing that with average 242~~ iLVL gear outdps enhancements with 264~~ ilvl gear...
    People here say that they do 11-13k dps on saurfang. Myself i do 15'5k with my enhancement, but 12k with my ret for such as low gear just feels insanely OP.

Deleted
    I guess that the DMG from melee hasnt only been to low on PvE bosses but on other players aswell. Seeing that a spriest now got 40% reduction against physical where as they had 20% before they would have had to change armor across the board nullifying the changes they had in mind for cataclysm being less differences between plate and cloth for easy melee ballencing!

15+ Year Old Account
    Ret was not performing as well and Enhancement, prior to the buffs they received. Warriors were even worse off, with our Shadowmourne BiS Fury Warrior doing ~3k DPS less on every fight in ICC than myself. The issue is they are now above us again, but it is not that Blizzard have purposefully ignored us, as many people here imagine.

I think it was just a bad move of blizz to make one of our key talents (unleash elements) only available at 81.
    It's pretty obvious it will fill that gap we now experience and I think it will bring a lot more fun in our game play than it is on live atm. I can live with under par dps if it was still fun, but personally i miss the haste and procs we used to have.

Anyway, enjoying elemental for now. The rotation is quite fun now with the introduction of earth shock and there are no gaps in their rotation ^^.
    Enhancement is not dead, it just doesn't feel like an end game spec on live and will definitely play it again when i hit lvl81 and can pick up unleash elements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylz View Post
    Ret was not performing as well and Enhancement, prior to the buffs they received. Warriors were even worse off, with our Shadowmourne BiS Fury Warrior doing ~3k DPS less on every fight in ICC than myself. The issue is they are now above us again, but it is not that Blizzard have purposefully ignored us, as many people here imagine.

You raided after the "fixes"?
    Fury warriors are performing good, not 3.3.5 level but on par with casters
    Rets are hitting like trucks.
    Ferals are also doing good
    Enh are not touched at all.

Last night it was like this

1. Boomkin
    2. Unholy DK
    3. Ret
    4. Feral
    5. Firemage
    6. Fury Warr
    7. Afflock
    8. Mut Rogue

That were our top 8 members.

we dont have all variety of classes but...

Deleted
    @ Mordenrox - Where were you on the damage list and where you before the patch?

15+ Year Old Account
    @Mordenrox - I haven't had a chance to raid since their tweaks, will see in the coming reset.

yet again, my concern is nto the damage, but the fact that tremor totem and windshear does not work as intended. and that is not an issure that will have solved itself at lvl 85.

enh shamans are supposed to fail at dps

0/10.

ok I su and I hope it will be all fine in 2 months (85 lvl) though I haven't seen solid facts that will balance our dps with the rest of dps classes
    For anyone who is not 100% sure what that means, this essentially means all boss armour values in Cataclysm will be lower than they currently are on live. Now, the reason Blizzard buffed seemingly every melee class except Enh Shaman, was the fact we do 50% magic damage and therefore did not look quite so bad compared to other melee classes (Warriors losing 10k DPS, etc).
    this will benefit the others aswell so if they are ahead of us now they will be ahead of us then. Explain it better so we less intelligent primitive being can understand it plz.

BUT if it's not nice in cata, I am going to visit you Lylz and steal all ur food supplies, cakes and pies just to make me feel better. I will even have you buy me a cold beer
    /qq end

(ps. get over with qqs and such. It's not qq, it's more of what the hell is going on. Action = reaction. I get a punch I give a punch. What did u expect? Sit back and enjoy? That's for healers
    (ps2. and tbh I will express my opinion however I like as long as it does not offend anyone. If you think it's qq, then don't bother)
    To have something you 've never had, you have to do something you've never done...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pearroc View Post
    @ Mordenrox - Where were you on the damage list and where you before the patch?

It may sound wrong or trolling, but is not, i were last before, and im now last.

Im not bad, since i have a few DPS rankings in World of Logs, but when the guild is good overall, our dps is not on par with others.

Combats like saurfang helps us to finish above others, but movement or AOE bosses kills us totally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PlzpstGearscore View Post
    enh shamans are supposed to fail at dps

0/10.
    Really? Posting a trolling comment like this while a mod is posting in the thread... No words.

@ Mordenrox Thats fair enough, just wondering. It more shows the levels of other hybrid dps anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a raid after the hotfix patch, also a small test right after the patch wednessday and rets were not on par with us so far i've seen.

But yes the classes that got buffed or hotfixed like some like to call it, especially ferals and retribution paladins made me go "w.t.f".

As i mentioned before elsewhere if we compare the ratios pre and post patch 4, the sum of all physical damage dealing abilities (in procentages) is now equal to what we used to get from windfury and white melee hits alone.

The only fight yesterday night where i hit more then 14K+ was BQL where i hit 16K dps, even with having to move reguarly i was bitten there second i believe, that's still down from like i believe my top 18-20K or so when i was bitten there first once.

Everything else going over the log i'm fairly ashamed to be honest, going to ignore council as i had to go afk then mid-fight.

BQL, 8th, 16658.2 DPS. Beaten by several classes that weren't bitten.
    Festergut, 13th, 13090.5 DPS. only managed to beat 2 OS's and 1 new Hunter recruit.
    Rotface, only 10K but ignoring as vile gas in melee wiped out pretty much all melee, can assume otherwise similair numbers as festergut.
    PP, 10,6k, sigh.

General conclusion, unless it's an OS or a fresh person in the raid team, while i don't know where hunters stand now my dps is shit, going over the logs now i do see i'm still stuck in old habits of responding too fast and spammy aswel as using flame shock too often.
    So there are things i personally can do to improve my dps somewhat more, but i don't see myself gaining more then 1K dps let alone if it even is 1K.

Now taking a deeper look into how my damage was split up for that using the festergut fight.
    Melee (white hits) from making up more then 40% of my damage to 22,5%, Stormstrike saw a small increase.
    Windfury lost about a percentage.
    Lightning bolt stayed about the same surprisingly enough, would've assumed it to be less procs now,
    With the exception of Lava lash the ratios stayed more or less the same. 1-2% difference so my conclusion is our major damage loss does not come from damage lost on abilities but damage lost on white swings, but this could indicate why they didn't act as we didn't lose a lot of damage on abilities purely on white swings and how can they really fix that without changing the armor DR of all bosses in WoTLK?

I could be totally wrong on this and feel free to correct me if your findings are completely different,
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2010-10-18 at 01:11 PM.

The main problem for me along with the crappy DPS is also the gaps as was said. I just do not enjoy playing enhancement anymore, its not the fun it used to be. Resto on the other is really fun now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxhoundn View Post
    The main problem for me along with the crappy DPS is also the gaps as was said. I just do not enjoy playing enhancement anymore, its not the fun it used to be. Resto on the other is really fun now.
    Yep
    A 15 sec CD button wont help us either.
    Im enjoying Retadin now more than enhancement (and its just spam CS + TV on 3HP while throwing fillers)
    Want to see some changes, lower CDs or whatever.
    I want to spam buttonz!