15+ Year Old Account

Aff stat weights

I took a break so now I am playing catch up. I have found stickies and discussions regarding Demo and Destro but almost nothing on Aff so I have a few questions.
    1. How are stat weights layed out now? If SP=1(even though its gone I'm just using it as a launching point) is haste still = to 1? how much is int? Mastery? and Crit?
    2. Spec, filling out the aff tree for raiding is rather straight forward and pretty much required just to get haunt, however at 80 it is just not possible to get the SB cast reduction and Shadow mastery to full if I want to have the same pre-patch build equivalent. Which one should I sacrifice for now? Shadow mastery is really important to have up but SB also does a large part of overall damage so cast time boosts that part.
    3. Execute, the deaths Embrace talent says all shadow spells now increase damage after 25% and drain soul no longer has the tool-tip saying its increased once the target reaches 35%. So am I to assume there will e no change to rotation at 25% now? Our execute is now passive?

one more thing? Last I heard they were talking about removing the possibility of clipping on Agony and UA, was that put in this patch?
    Last edited by Verzerrung; 2010-10-20 at 11:16 PM.

1)IIRC int is now top stat, followed by mastery, then closely followed by haste. straight spellpower doesn't rank that high now.
    --Unlike before, there is no spellpower difference between 1H and 2H weapons.
    --Spirit is useless. Reforge or swap out every point of it that you can get away with. (Reforgers are with enchanting trainers in all major cities.)

2) 3 points in bane, 2 points in Shadow and Flame. AKA 3 points in sbolt cast time reduction, 2 points in Shadow Mastery. With Aff you're casting Sbolt so much that a 30 sec buff with a 66% chance to proc per Sbolt hit won't ever fall off.
    Use Succubus as pet with Lash of pain, Haunt and BoA glyphs as main.

3) Nah, Drain soul is still execute, ticking every three seconds, down from five. No more 50-60k crits in execute phase though. Demo however gets to ignore their execute.

Personally, unless you're really attached to Affliction, go destro or demo as they've really been nerfing the hell out of aff. Demo does the best dps, but frankly demo is the most fun.

EDIT: dot clipping: You can technically clip both, but clipping BoA also means resetting it's damage modifier, so it's a noticeable dps loss to clip it. UA you can clip though, just recast it so that it lands after the 2nd to last tick is done, it'll refresh and add the extra time before the last tick.
    Last edited by allforone; 2010-10-21 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allforone View Post

2) (...) Use Succubus as pet with Lash of pain, Haunt and BoA glyphs as main.

3) Nah, Drain soul is still execute, ticking every three seconds, down from five. No more 50-60k crits in execute phase though. Demo however gets to ignore their execute.

EDIT: dot clipping: You can technically clip both, but clipping BoA also means resetting it's damage modifier, so it's a noticeable dps loss to clip it. UA you can clip though, just recast it so that it lands after the 2nd to last tick is done, it'll refresh and add the extra time before the last tick.
    BoA? I haven't followed the latest news from EJ, but i thought BoDoom was the one to use now? And I've also read other points of view concerning dot clipping, that you have to let UA fall off before applying again?
    Last edited by Vardjavi; 2010-10-21 at 08:35 AM. Reason: strange sentence

Quote Originally Posted by allforone View Post
    1)
    Demo does the best dps, but frankly demo is the most fun.
    I guess you mean it DOESN'T do the most dps. Fun is subjective. I for instance, HATE the design of the demo tree and playstyle. Too pet centred for my taste.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I guess you mean it DOESN'T do the most dps. Fun is subjective. I for instance, HATE the design of the demo tree and playstyle. Too pet centred for my taste.
    Until we've got some more parses, I'm not going to depend on simcraft entirely for the facts. During 3.3.3-5 simcraft put Destruction only 500DPS behind Affliction, and as second best in the overall scoring. We all know the reality was that it was 2k or more DPS behind Affliction in real terms, and that Demo proved to be a lot closer to Affliction than the sims suggested.

I don't think we have enough data yet (after just 1 week, and considering a massive Destro nerf on the first night), as people are still working out what's best for all three specs. Either way, if Destruction is substantially better than Demo, Afflic, or anyone, don't expect it to remain so for long. There are plenty of things left to be tweaked.

Either way, does this mean that if Demo is shown to do the most DPS you wouldn't switch to it?