Thread: PvP Disc

PvP Disc

So, i decided to finally try out my priest in 4.0.1. Went into a BG and he got demolished. Unlike all the stories of healers being unkillable, i was definitely able to be killed by almost every class with an interrupt (those with 5 sec or higher lockouts or those with a short cooldown). Does anybody else feel like Disc seems weak in pvp atm. Is it still weak at 85?

Deleted
    We are definitely not holy paladins, but I think we are doing good. I have 1400+ resi and most of the classes can't kill me easily.

Deleted
    What kind of pvp gear do you have? How much resilience?

I have close to 1800 resilience at the moment and the only class that gives me real problems are feral druids. Did alot of bgs yesterday and in most of them i ended up with zero deaths.

If anything Disc priests feel OP right now. Prior to patch 4.0.1, I wasn't be able to tank 4 or 5 dudes beating on me. Now....unless people can get me into a perma-stun chain,(like those bullshit Feral druids) I'm not gonna die. Maybe it would help for you to reforge some mastery on your gear; I feel like it made a big difference for me.

I hear you, I'm having trouble tanking more than 2 melee. Each class has a lockout now, so basically if you get kicked you're done for. You can't heal because you're afraid to get kicked or you heal and get kicked. Shields got nerfed big time to, so getting kicked or stunned with a shield up does little to help you. Disc is weaker than it was pre 4.0, but I'm guessing at 85 it'll even out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayella View Post
    Disc is weaker than it was pre 4.0, but I'm guessing at 85 it'll even out.
    Uh....what? Did you do much PvP as disc pre-patch 4.0.1? How did shields get nerfed big time? I know we lost the part of Borrowed Time which converted % of SP to our shields, but we gained a stat called mastery.

Might also want to look into a mod called Interrupt Bar as well.

Have you tried Holy PvP at all? I was surprised at how viable it really is in BGs. More instant heals, B&S sprint, poison cleanse, and a disorient on a short CD. I actually have come to prefer it to Disc right now in BGs.

With either spec though, a resilience of over 1k, preferably over 1.2k is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenar View Post
    Uh....what? Did you do much PvP as disc pre-patch 4.0.1? How did shields get nerfed big time? I know we lost the part of Borrowed Time which converted % of SP to our shields, but we gained a stat called mastery.
    No more dispel protection, for starters.

Also:
    Old PW:S - 2230 base, 80.5% SP scaling, +75.812% from talents
    New PW:S - 3497 base, 41.8% SP scaling, +10% from talents

So at 4k SP:
    Old: 9,599
    New (~4.6k SP): 5,961

Mastery needed to make up the gap = 24.4 = 752 Rating = 1,882 stats reforged to Mastery

So yes, it's possible to have your shields equal to (or slightly better than) pre-4.0 numbers, but you will need to be fully reforged into Mastery to do it. This will cost you a massive amount of Haste/Crit/Spirit to do.

All the more reason to give holy a try

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    No more dispel protection, for starters.
    ^^ x 1000
    So yes, it's possible to have your shields equal to (or slightly better than) pre-4.0 numbers, but you will need to be fully reforged into Mastery to do it. This will cost you a massive amount of Haste/Crit/Spirit to do.
    With the initial overbuff to resilience, this actually worked out very well as the extreme mitigation from high resilience balanced beautifully with mastery-buffed shields. At 1900 resilience, a shield that absorbed 7-8k took a ton of damage to break through (I lol'd when a warrior couldn't bladestorm through it, and a DK could only barely get through with AotD). Haste wasn't that big a deal as you really only needed to use your instants to stay alive through 6-8 DPS (small heals from chaining glyphed dispel magic did wonders to counter being chain-purged). With the subsequent nerf to resilience (though still stronger than pre 4.0.1), the relative value of strengthening your shields via mastery drops some against haste & crit though. Still good, but not worth reforging everything to it.