Quote Originally Posted by Tealgod View Post
    The vid you linked was part 2 of 4 it seems, I understood most of it, besides a few minor details (zouken talks about the different types of bugs he spots, couldn't keep with them all), but part 2 was about him learning to control the bugs, by "understanding each other", and to help he gave him a "costume?". Ended up talking about how its just sexual harrassment at that point. zouken also put up his "ill just use sakura if I cant teach you then" threat when he said he wouldn't do the training

note: was watchign vid between pulls in wow so I might've forgot parts already by the time I posted lol
    Thanks, that's more helpful than not knowing at all what's going on. I want to see Kariya's costume. ;_;

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe with him in it...the costume alone well...
    [CENTER]

Deleted
    Welp, just watched the batch of new episodes we got, so here goes:

GJ Bu - The scenes are so random, it's hard to keep up with what they're actually doing there, oh well it's fun so np. D: Drunk cat chick kissing other chicks, lol'd.

Kotoura - I have one thing to say about this episode, that redhead is a fucking bitch. Seriously, you're seen as an odd bean yourself, but then judge her for being weird aswell? And how does she exactly think doing these things is going to help her get closer to Manabe? I might be quick to judge, but it looks like she'll be the most annoying thing in this anime.

Tamako Market - I like the whole random stuff with the Valentine's day shenanigans, bunny suits yay! But there's one thing Anko said that I have to agree with.

The only thing he does for me is annoy me, I can't stand him, not one bit.
    I'll watch it for cute Tamako though.

Zetsuen no Tempest - Lots of stuff going on in this one, not sure who really is the Mage of Exodus. The plot unfolds! Also lol @ Hakaze asking about Aika's boyfriend.

Psycho Pass - Tomomi is Ginoza's father? o.O, Guess I could have seen it coming but no wonder he takes his job so seriously. I feel like this is an important part in the plot, since they just discovered that Makashima isn't the only one who can't be judged by Sibyl. Will they side with the government or try to change the system? Props to Ginoza for slapping Akane out of her shock though, manmode. Excited for the next episode as always.

10+ Year Old Account

for those who enjoyed steins;gate....though its not subbed

finished listening....DARU BROKE THE FOURTH WALL
    Last edited by Suicidal Panda; 2013-01-18 at 01:27 AM.
    [CENTER]

I finished Kara no Kyoukai. It was decent overall. The OST was great, and I share the common opinion that movie 5 was the highlight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psycho-Pass - Really cool finding out that that older guy is the detectives dad. Never would have guessed that. I was expecting a bit more trauma from the scene where she was reliving her memories, but she handled that fairly well.

Sasami-san - I love this show. The second episode was stranger then the first. I'd hate it too if people where getting grease and shit all over my stuff and ruining everything I owned. Her facial expressions where great too.

Kotura-san awesome ep and yeah moritani was a bitch but i am fairly sure she will join the ESP society soon and u i saw the bully action coming from a mile away
    zetsuen no tempest i have 3 theory about that one first hakaze is the mage of exodus and yoshino is the one that decides what she is (i mean like he influences her from genesis to exodus or not depends on him) 2nd yoshino is actually something not told yet like a 3rd party but also awesome ^^ and the 3rd is that aika is actually the mage of exodus and still alive
    psycho-pass didnt expect him to be his dad lol. but good wake up slap from ginoza like a baws

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Started my Japanese class on Monday. As I was expecting, it's going to be quite an effort to learn lol. I'm enjoying it though, so I'm actually looking forward to the many hours of daily studying to come lol.
    What book are you using, btw? And some tips from someone whose gone through 3 years of college-level Japanese and watched many years of anime:

General vocab like nouns are fine to pick up from anime, but you have to watch it with the phrasing. They're going to start out teaching you the polite/neutral way of saying things first, most likely. And a lot of what comes up in anime is either casual or rude. And there are masculine/feminine ways of speaking, that unless you do your research on how they work ... you could end up sounding quite silly to your professor and come across as a "weeaboo"

One of the nice things about using anime as a supplement to classes, is it can help immensely in your listening comprehension and pronunciation skills. Same with reading manga -- having practice reading in Japanese will help a lot with your reading speed. That's not to say you can't still learn phrases from anime/manga, but that you want to look them up online or ask your teacher about how exactly they're used. Just try not to make it obvious to them where you got it from and avoid the ones that some initial research point to being very rude. Also, maybe don't use them in class, because then you come across as a know-it-all when the teacher has to translate your responses to the rest of the class.

I took a 5 year break from college classes and came back to take 6th semester of Japanese, and I was surprised at how bad many of the people still were in class at reading speed and pronunciation. It was hard at times to finish our paired conversations in the alotted time, because their reading speed was so slow and it took them a long time to formulate a response, etc.

There are numerous kanji OCR apps available on Android and iOS as well to help you look up kanji. As well as I recommend these dictionary resources:

http://www.gokanji.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict -- Jeffreys Japanese-English Dictionary. I prefer this one for looking up general words, or using the SKIP code lookup under searchable kanji database.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwjdic.cgi?1R -- Jim Breen's J-E Dict. This is usually one of the favorites of people. I find it great for the multi-radical kanji lookup, but general word lookup is formatted rather poorly, so I prefer Jeffreys for that as I said.

www.jisho.org -- another good one for kanji lookup by radical, etc. I haven't used this one much, but its been recommended to me in the past and looks nice.

And if you want some more general immersion, there are various sites online for language exchange partners, or just watching Japanese TV streams. KeyholeTV has become kinda crippleware sadly, but there are usually people on like www.justin.tv or livestream etc. that stream various Japanese TV shows. And the nice thing about Japanese TV is that the variety shows etc. usually provide JP subtitles for what people are saying and lots of onscreen text, so it makes it easier to follow along then when people talk fast or slur their speech.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 02:03 AM ----------

Valynvin: About Psycho Pass -- Uhh... I thought it was pretty obvious quite awhile ago that that was the case. Many of us speculated exactly that by like Ep6 at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    Oh man that Rika science girl without ponytail and glasses. Love that new look.
    Just hnnng http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SouNJ6p0u9...5BVexed%5D.png
    http://i.imgur.com/zdLUS.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wzunV.jpg
    She looks awesome. I love loose ponytails.
    It was nice to see Yozora being so cute and uke in this episode (http://i.imgur.com/MJNAM.jpg). A rare role reversal. I also loved how blatantly obvious it was that Sena chose the route of the girl that looked most like Kobato in her eroge! x'D

I liked Kate, in spite of (or perhaps because of) her vulgarity, and her introduction adds a new layer to Maria which fleshes out her character a bit (needed it) and actually makes her kind of sympathetic.

Haganai episodes fly by too damn fast! Need to watch Sasami-san when I've woken up properly. Not a show to watch half-asleep, I think.

@Tenhou: If you're willing to cave on waiting for the last 2 episodes of Jormungand, I'd recommend Asenshi. They're releases seemed good.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Valynvin: About Psycho Pass -- Uhh... I thought it was pretty obvious quite awhile ago that that was the case. Many of us speculated exactly that by like Ep6 at least.
    cant remeber anybody spoilerin it ;X
    also vividred operation nice ep but whats with the naked rang and naked impacto xD and who is bow scarf girl! also how can u not like tomatos aoi :<

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Deleted
    OshiriOperation was nice, although I couldn't help but laugh at some of gratuitous english.

Also, I finally got what I wanted...
    Sonata(AKB0048)'s election poster:

Deleted
    Bet she's fine because she's the same as the murderer when it comes to the psycho-pass scan thing. He'll most likely try to turn her into one of the baddies later on. I guess.

Kate is probably the weirdest one so far. Every other character kinda represents a fetish (maid, blonde + big tit + masochist, black hair + femdom, nerdy girl + perv, brocon + goth lolita clothes, loli nun etc) and Kate is the... vulgar burping-farting-big-tit-nun. I dunno if they are supposed to represent fetishes or if I'm just overthinking it but Kate is pretty weird. Still hope she'll get more screen time and becomes more interesting.

And yeah, yaoi loving Yozora was cute.
    I'd say that's definitely a good assessment of the character inspiration. It's a harem after all. It's like they've taken classic archetypes refined them and unapologetically put them into overdrive and unfortunately I have seen plenty of evidence (Randy's preferences in South Park are a good example) across the internet of Kate fulfilling a tangible 'niche interest', still I can see her being a fun character and her interaction with Maria being lulzy.

Uncomfortable blushing Yozora, now in gif form! \o/

I'm really liking Sasami-san so far. It's starting to get a very Haruhi feel in terms of the need to appease and suppress an unwitting deity. Still absolutely loving the visuals. It looks great. I love the murky atmosphere of the scenes set in Sasami's lair.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-01-18 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    I am rewatching Baccano, but this time in english dub because my boyfriend wanted to. I am really surprised how good it is with english dubs. They captured tons of different accents perfectly(in my ears), specially the new york accents. I am normally against english dubs, but Baccano is better in english due to the accents.

Just wanted to share how pleasantly surprised I was.

Deleted
    Time to watch new Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit sure is hitting the fan in Robotics;Notes, I want moooore
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Bet she's fine because she's the same as the murderer when it comes to the psycho-pass scan thing. He'll most likely try to turn her into one of the baddies later on.
    I really hope it's something like that and not just that Akane's out look on life blah blah blah horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    snip
    We're using Genki. From what I've read about learning Japanese before I started the class a lot of people were recommending that book. Yeah, I noticed that. My professor has been going over both the formal and informal variations of vocab she's been teaching us. English is certainly vastly different from Japanese. Fortunately I'm already somewhat familiar with that concept from taking Spanish and French.

One thing I've noticed with anime versus say, some random Japanese person speaking, is that anime dialogue is generally a lot easier to follow and differentiate the words than if you were to listen to a Japanese person speaking on tv or someone you meet on the street. It's certainly has helped though. A lot of the vocab we went over the first two days I already knew. I just wasn't completely aware of the formal/informal variations like you mentioned.

I don't remember the site, but it was similar to what you're describing. You basically have a pen pal that you help with their English and they help you with your Japanese and you just communicate with each other. The Japanese tv idea is probably something I'll do. Like I mentioned before about the anime dialogue/versus actual, it will probably help more with my listening comprehension. I also plan to supplement in the Rosetta Stone program as well, so that should certainly be of some help.

Thanks for all the various websites, I'll definitely add those to my favorites and I appreciate the information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Genki is decent, there are some issues with it, but it's not like glaring bad issues. Just some could've been taught a bit faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bet she's fine because she's the same as the murderer when it comes to the psycho-pass scan thing. He'll most likely try to turn her into one of the baddies later on. I guess.
    If anyone can do it, Urobuchi can.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I really hope it's something like that and not just that Akane's out look on life blah blah blah horseshit.
    What I said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Yeah, this. Every book would be different for people with different learning styles, Genki is a good book to start with but if it doesn't suit you don't think you have to stick with it (well you will in a class but I mean for personal use ) I'm a fan of genki and I would recommend that but I haven't tried out a lot of resources for Japanese
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Genki is decent, there are some issues with it, but it's not like glaring bad issues. Just some could've been taught a bit faster.
    Good to know. As long as it gets the job done and does it well lol.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 10:30 PM ----------

Saw this on reddit and thought it might be interesting to do here. Make a 3x3 mosaic using pictures of your top 9 anime. If you're interested, this site makes the process pretty easy http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php

Mine's not really set in stone, but it's the general idea of my favorites.

Here's mine http://i.imgur.com/J0syD.jpg