* shrugs

I'm with Gigabyte and P55, but I still achieve a reasonable 50% overclock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    * shrugs

I'm with Gigabyte and P55, but I still achieve a reasonable 50% overclock.
    So do i, but i have 8+2 drMOS (p55-gd80).
    I'm still saying 4+1 is the bare minimum you can buy, putting a 3570K on that and expecting to hit high is just silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    My question would be, why have a poor 4+1 phase motherboard in a $2.4k build. Specially since he got a K processor. With that CPU power supply you can forget any kind of decent OC.
    He's lucky it's dual 8x PCI-E, i wonder if he checked it for that.
    I've got exactly that mobo, and i run 4400 :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I've got exactly that mobo, and i run 4400 :/
    Am anxious to know if that'll remain the same in about a year. Neither is 4.4ghz really high.
    Frankly i don't really care that you do, the fact still remains that I find it a wierd purchase.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-02 at 11:10 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You can pull zip-ties... really really really tight.
    Zip-tie gun ftw imo. Use one at work for the wiring harnesses on cranes and boy, never pull a zip-tie by hand again haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    <3 metroid prime

This is my first build, the pic is quite old and I did a lot of cable mangement improvement since I took the pictures, I have a IDE/SATA adapter in the 5.25" case, that's why there is 2 Molex (One for the adapter and one for the HDD). I plan to OC my CPU soon, but nothing extreme, just to learn how.

Interior:

Cable "Management =P "

I don't have a modular PSU so it was a challenge, but I did something acceptable (I think ^^ )

My GC is a 7850, it may seems a bit low, but I was gaming with a 6550, So this card is pretty much overkill for me, and its was a budget build (it cost me around 1100$, but I got some problems with the customs , im living in Canada and ordered the pieces from USA and the case cost me 100 buck instead of 30 )

Tell me what you think about it!
    (Spec are in my sig)
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have never been charged customs for buying computer components. I buy all my stuff from Newegg.ca or NCIX (online and in store). Newegg Canada ships a lot of components from the USA though like graphics cards, monitors and cases. Small components like HDD's come from within Canada.

My uncle was in the USA, so He picked up pieces from a adress he has in New York, but the total price of the pieces was more than the 48h limit (don't know the exact law, but you have a maximum value of things you buy if you are not a permanent resident), so I needed to pay the extras

And Amazon.ca prices are twice those of the usa
    My first build:
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I thought you had ordered it online. Yeah, you are better off paying the shipping fees and buying online then getting the components from across the border.

I didn't bought all the pieces online, only CPU, Mobo, Ram and GPU, (Then shipped it to my Uncle adress in New York) I bought the rest at local stores, but I should have all get it online, I would have save few bucks ^^

Else what do you think of the build?
    My first build:

My question would be, why have a poor 4+1 phase motherboard in a $2.4k build. Specially since he got a K processor. With that CPU power supply you can forget any kind of decent OC.
    He's lucky it's dual 8x PCI-E, i wonder if he checked it for that.
    Can you explain what you mean by the 4+1 phase motherboard? This is the first time I have heard of such a thing, but it is OC'd to 4.7, which I'd call a decent OC. But the OC is restricted by the Vcore and temps, which I am not sure if that problem is related to what you're talking about? Yes I did look for the dual 8x pci-e.

Any other comments on my build?
    Last edited by Kevin38924; 2013-02-02 at 10:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin38924 View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by the 4+1 phase motherboard? This is the first time I have heard of such a thing, but it is OC'd to 4.7, which I'd call a decent OC. But the OC is restricted by the Vcore and temps, which I am not sure if that problem is related to what you're talking about? And yes, when I looked for a PSU, I wanted dual 8 pin pci-e for a possible crossfire later on and fully modular with decent braids as well as 80+ gold rating.

Any other comments on my build?
    The 4+1 etc etc, is all about power phase delivery to the CPU through the motherboard and essentially how many and what types of mosfets are on the motherboard, from what I understand. Higher-end motherboards typically have more and higher quality selections.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Why even bother to mention about dual 8x pci-e lanes...... the difference between 8x and 16x is hardly noticeable if anything at all 4+1 phase is more than enough for a decent OC he proved that with 4.7ghz. Not having a go just stating it's not really worth pointing out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Why even bother to mention about dual 8x pci-e lanes...... the difference between 8x and 16x is hardly noticeable if anything at all 4+1 phase is more than enough for a decent OC he proved that with 4.7ghz. Not having a go just stating it's not really worth pointing out.
    Who said anything about a 8x8x vs 16x16x. Not every motherboard has 8x8x or 16x16x, most cheaper models have only 4x on the second slot (16x4x) which is shit for SLI/CF. And next time if you say someone is giving false statements, get some facts, not just flatout tell them they're wrong like you're doing now. Also, besides the 4+1, the VRM cooling is very basic.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...board_review/7

Here's what can go wrong on a 4+1 phase board. You say he proved it's stable, but i haven't heard any stability tests (12hr). And the board is brand new, it's not going to immediatly fail.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-02 at 10:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who said anything about a 8x8x vs 16x16x. Not every motherboard has 8x8x or 16x16x, most cheaper models have only 4x on the second slot (16x4x) which is shit for SLI/CF.
    Hell mine can only manage 16x1x. I wish I could just make it 8x8x instead. lol
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Well I assume you said it judging by the negativity on the comment ..... not looking for an argument I cba and power phases have never been a problem in the past and I doubt they are now...it's something the avg user turns a blind eye too imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Well I assume you said it judging by the negativity on the comment ..... not looking for an argument I cba and power phases have never been a problem in the past and I doubt they are now...it's something the avg user turns a blind eye too imo.
    If you're not bothered with it, or have no constructive arguments, then i suggest you don't criticise.

About the VRM cooling. You be the judge which gets you the best milage.
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...gd80/gd802.jpg
    vs
    http://limages.vr-zone.net/body/1570...vlk_1.jpg.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hell mine can only manage 16x1x. I wish I could just make it 8x8x instead. lol
    My first board P7P55D had 16x4x. I didn't look at it when i bought it.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-02 at 10:13 PM.

most cheaper models have only 4x on the second slot (16x4x) which is shit for SLI/CF.
    Far from the truth. Performance loss is within 5%

Here's a good read. http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/2...16x16_vs_x8x8/
    &nbsp;