Question What is the character of the class of Shaman in Warcraft really?

For the longest time I only thought of "Totems"; I didn't give it much thought and I wasn't playing it; but I wonder what's the gameplay philosophy of it that makes it unique among the classes and irreplaceable among the others (if it is irreplaceable).

Is it its ability to do complex synergies; is it a blunt combo of melee and spells; or is it just "totems"?

The original vanilla design intent of shaman was to fully embody "jack of all trades, master of none". I know I read that phrase explicitly somewhere in a vanilla-era official class description somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    The original vanilla design intent of shaman was to fully embody "jack of all trades, master of none". I know I read that phrase explicitly somewhere in a vanilla-era official class description somewhere.
    Wasn't it druid though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Wasn't it druid though?
    You'd think so, but the whole philosophy of "hybrid tax" they had then was not equally applied. Any one thing the shaman could do, another class could do it more effectively (which is why they also had threat generating spells and totems for the bare minimum of tanking) for the game's early life span, which is not something you could really say as much for druids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    You'd think so, but the whole philosophy of "hybrid tax" they had then was not equally applied. Any one thing the shaman could do, another class could do it more effectively (which is why they also had threat generating spells and totems for the bare minimum of tanking) for the game's early life span, which is not something you could really say as much for druids.
    What other class could give windfury?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baraden View Post
    Windfuryman
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Baraden View Post
    Speaking more generally in terms of the damage/healing/tanking roles here. Of course there was Windfury Totem and later Bloodlust as unique support buffs for a time. Oh, and water walking (until death knights came along and brought a better group version I think?).

Shaman was a Support character originally. Tons of utility through those totems.

Today, they're just another class. I mean, what reason is there to play any class these days? It's different flavours of the same Tanking, DPS or Healer roles we've all played over and over again. The reasons are subjective, and mostly superficial depending on what you're looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enhancement is still my favorite melee spec in the game. It does a rather excellent job of offering "battlemage" gameplay, and maelstrom weapon is probably one of the best mechanics in WoW. Still a brilliant design all these years later.