Deleted
    I have to say Ash773, that is a nice setup indeed. And is that a beer stein I see? Awesome. The only thing I could potentially comment on is that your rear right speaker is very misplaced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I have to say Ash773, that is a nice setup indeed. And is that a beer stein I see? Awesome. The only thing I could potentially comment on is that your rear right speaker is very misplaced.
    Thanks Marest, yeah the stein is from Taverncraft and has a Warhammer online design, i love it. Yeah iv'e been meaning to address that problem with my speakers, iv'e just got to find a good spot for it to go. Was maybe thinking about putting it up on the wall somewhere lol.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am contemplating putting a couple extra fans in my Fractal Define Mini tower, however doing so would force me to remove the big pads that cover two of the fan slots and would increase the noise. I might at least put a fan in the bottom slot since that one doesn't have a noise reducer pad on it. Great case, I gotta admit. With my Twin Frozr fan speeds at 75% they are not all that loud, and it runs sub 50 degrees on load as well.

I need to replace my stock CPU cooler though, any suggestions? I was thinking about getting a Corsair H80 or similar, needs to be a 120mm fan and something that isn't overly loud either, I want to be able to overclock my i7 2600k a bit.

Well, if you can fit the NH-D14 in then that'll be interesting. But the H80 isn't a bad one to put in either.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do not find the Corsair H series to be "quiet" at all....

I'd suggest the Thermal Right Silver Arrow, Noctua NH-D14, Zalman CNPS 9900ALED, or Corsair A70. All of those have 120mm+ fans I believe, and are all pretty decent heatsinks, not sure if the first two would fit in your case, the third definitely should (I own it) and the 4th maybe. I'm pretty sure all of these would do better than the H80 too.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I remember when I was 6 years old and obsessed with reading books about safety and police officers and fire fighters, it was always the cables or register or something near/under/behind the bed that caused fires.

For the love of God please get that fixed soon, now you got me all worried. =/[COLOR="red"]
    Does my mass of cables scare you as well?

red panda red panda red panda!

I do not find the Corsair H series to be "quiet" at all....
    They are. Though they have an odd thing where they begin, after booting, by flying up to max up until the BIOS begins showing. I never figured out why, but my Define case came with a manual fan controller, so I'll be able to fix that anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dearest Asera,

Why dost thou torment me with graphical images that thou wouldst know would bother me so? Thy cruelty is so harsh, as it is pressured down onto thy greatest admirer, who wouldst only wish to see thou in a safe habitat, away from any potential fire hazards.

Yours truly and lovingly,

Deltrus

TL;DR: Please clean that, I don't want to hear you died. =/
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Does my mass of cables scare you as well?
    I love that pink cable!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    They are. Though they have an odd thing where they begin, after booting, by flying up to max up until the BIOS begins showing. I never figured out why, but my Define case came with a manual fan controller, so I'll be able to fix that anyway.
    Temperature sensors don't kick in until the the BIOS starts and since it has no idea on temps, the mobo does the safest thing and blows all it's fan pins (CPU and Chassis) at 100%.
    Can't avoid it unless you use an independent fan controller

Do fan speeds really make a huge difference in temps with closed-loop coolers like H100? Just the rad surface and low/med fan speeds should be enough to normalize the water temps.
    I'd plug it to my fan controller and keep everything quiet >_>
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-11-06 at 02:27 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Aha. So by default, if no interaction occurs, it just hits everything to 11. Nice to know.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should see under and behind my desk, I have cables galore too. Pictures are terrible due to lack of a quality camera, but my web cam works just as well I guess. 56k warning!!!

I doubt I could fit a Noctua NH-D14 in that case though, it's pretty small. I don't even think the Thermaltake Frio I used to have could fit in that thing.

---------- Post added 2011-11-06 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Mine came with a controller too, but I had to buy a Silverstone 3 fan controller to add to it since the stock one, which apparently breaks easily, only can control 3 of the 6 fans, although I only have 4 fans mounted at the moment.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-11-06 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got some gear there I'm not familiar with. Are those pedals for a guitar/keyboard? And some kind of a receiver/converter beside them?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Rennadrel, just wondering, but I think I see your RAM sticks improperly placed in your RAM slots.... It just looks like via that picture that the 2 matching ones from whichever styles/brands they are are let's say...

Slot A and C have different RAM sticks, however they should be matching, same with slots B and D.

Just a helpful nod of advice.

Otherwise that's a pretty interesting looking system... is the PSU a Rosewill by chance? ;p
    "A flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's a Thermaltake Comet, 780 watts. The memory pairings aren't an issue, both are G.Skill, one set is the Performance series and the other is the Ripjaws series, both have the exact same timings and everything, and I have only seen one BSOD and that was a graphics card driver issue, so I doubt it matters where these particular sticks are placed. It's a 12GB configuration, 2x2GB and 2x4GB from left to right. I think my PSU is a bit overkill though, but if I want to Crossfire at any point all I need is a new board and another 6870.

And I have a record player plugged into a DVD recorder just so I can Line-In my record player to my onboard audio and through my computer speakers, it's quite convenient for a bedroom setup actually. I keep my guitar pedals under my desk for ease of access while I am playing, plus I was tripping over them trying to get into my closet in the early mornings when it's still dark and I am half asleep getting ready for work. The only thing that is beside my pedals is my computer case on the right, and my subwoofer for my surround sound system behind them.

Shaky hand FTL by the way.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-11-06 at 05:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, it's a Thermaltake Comet, 780 watts. The memory pairings aren't an issue, both are G.Skill, one set is the Performance series and the other is the Ripjaws series, both have the exact same timings and everything, and I have only seen one BSOD and that was a graphics card driver issue, so I doubt it matters where these particular sticks are placed. It's a 12GB configuration, 2x2GB and 2x4GB from left to right. I think my PSU is a bit overkill though, but if I want to Crossfire at any point all I need is a new board and another 6870.
    Then your RAM is running in Single Channel, it is not that it's going to cause BSODs or anything, it's simply that you aren't getting the max intended performance you should be getting... Quad > Triple > Dual > Single. Fix those sticks! ;p

As for the PSU... Yeah, it is overkill, even for Xfire'd 6870s.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then your RAM is running in Single Channel, it is not that it's going to cause BSODs or anything, it's simply that you aren't getting the max intended performance you should be getting... Quad > Triple > Dual > Single. Fix those sticks! ;p

As for the PSU... Yeah, it is overkill, even for Xfire'd 6870s.
    False. He is running in dual channel. Single channel only comes into play if he was running an ODD AMOUNT OF STICKS on a dual channel board. Running mixed sticks won't force them into single channel lol

Running 4 sticks, regardless of the capacity will give dual channel. Proof:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2084678

RAM : 12288 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
    I have 2 4GB Sticks and 2 2GB Sticks. Even if they are mixed and matched, they will be in dual channel as well because the data width doesn't depend on the capacity but the amount of sticks.

The "kits" that are sold are simply sticks manufactured and tested to work together, but that doesn't mean you can't mix and match RAM with the same timings/frequency to get the same end results.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-11-06 at 06:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    False. He is running in dual channel. Single channel only comes into play if he was running an ODD AMOUNT OF STICKS on a dual channel board. Running mixed sticks won't force them into single channel lol

Running 4 sticks, regardless of the capacity will give dual channel. Proof:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2084678

I have 2 4GB Sticks and 2 2GB Sticks. Even if they are mixed and matched, they will be in dual channel as well because the data width doesn't depend on the capacity but the amount of sticks.

The "kits" that are sold are simply sticks manufactured and tested to work together, but that doesn't mean you can't mix and match RAM with the same timings/frequency to get the same end results.
    Hrmmm.... I'm a little reluctant. It looks like you've got yours setup properly though. :P Like 4-2-4-2. O_o His look like 2-2-4-4/4-4-2-2 whichever way they are. I would think it would want to work dual between at least the same amounts like the 4s are matched up and the 2s are matched up, no?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrmmm.... I'm a little reluctant. It looks like you've got yours setup properly though. :P Like 4-2-4-2. O_o His look like 2-2-4-4/4-4-2-2 whichever way they are. I would think it would want to work dual between at least the same amounts like the 4s are matched up and the 2s are matched up, no?
    I can do either or :P Good example is my old server running a 2GB Stick with a 4GB Stick lol The channels don't care about the capacity as I said since it has nothing to do with the capacity but the data width instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    I can do either or :P Good example is my old server running a 2GB Stick with a 4GB Stick lol The channels don't care about the capacity as I said since it has nothing to do with the capacity but the data width instead.
    Mmm, okay.
    "A flower.