10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, love the new sniper board, i have a model older of it and yours is even less tacky than mine and actually looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    Nice, love the new sniper board, i have a model older of it and yours is even less tacky than mine and actually looks great!
    Thank you very much. Yeah it looks really good, and so far I'm very happy with it.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    Static, what temperatures are you getting on that 4.4ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Static, what temperatures are you getting on that 4.4ghz
    A bit hard to tell, to be honest. It's jumping between 20-35c when idling and under heavy load(Aida64), I've seen it jumping to around 76c.

Also, the highest I've seen while, for example, playing WoW, was at 46c. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Static; 2013-08-12 at 08:13 PM.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Deleted
    My temporary setup, a laptop prone to overheating. :P

Deleted
    Amg this post came as i just orderd my new pc parts DDD what a cool chance to brag DD

Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black 8 gig sticks x4 = 32 gigs of ram!

Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

3TB WD WD30EZRX Caviar Green SATA 6GB/s IntelliPower 64Mb Cache 8ms NCQ

XFX HD 7970 GHz DD Edition AMD Radeon Graphics Card with Ghost Thermal & Hydrocell- 3GB (will be using crossfire at a later date)

OCZ Agility 3 2.5" SATA III 240GB SSD Factory

Razer Naga Molten

Coolermaster Case HAF922
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...2-review/1.jpg

Intel CPU Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge

Asus motherboard P8H77-V LGA1155 ATX

Bitfenix 200 x 200 x 20mm Spectre Black Red LED Case Fan

wow collectors edition mouse mat i have a few but using this one.

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Gaming Keyboard

Motherboard i got from a friend for £40 because his old one broke bought this then got his other board back because it was under warranty otherwise i was getting a nvidia gfx card. Something i can upgrade at a later date.

Also windows 7 pro 64 bit
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-08-12 at 10:28 PM.

Deleted
    What a cluttersome post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    <snip>
    Gratz on the parts arriving, but I think you got the wrong idea when people said "post pics!". We meant your own pics, not ones taken from product websites because we can look those up any time :P

Curious selection of parts. How much did you pay for the XFX 7970 Ghz?
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-12 at 10:05 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Is that 1.3v for 4.4ghz or just adaptive voltage being overly eager? If it is 1.3v then damn those temps are great.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    <insert google images>
    er yeah, would be nice to see your build rather than just a google image shopping list, that said your setup seems a little odd. Did you have something in particular in mind when you decided on it?

Deleted
    all i have atm is the case motherboard and tp link network adapter rest is inc here is a pic + of it so far rest will be here soon i hope...

That laptop in the pic is just a crap old one i got for free from work but i use the external hardrive on it because it has all my films on while i play on my dell xps in bed:P
    But ye its a 42" hd tv my desk is a shit hole

will post it finished in a week
    Last edited by mmocfaf99010a6; 2013-08-12 at 11:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    52" O_O

We have some 52" plasmas at work and they are absolutely GIGANTIC, I can't even imagine sitting closer than ~3-4 meters away from one.

Deleted
    I'm assuming the 5 is a simple typo.

Because unless that's a ~24" laptop that TV is at the absolute max 44". My guess is 42". Actually, using the Xbox controller as a reference I get the TV to 41.73".
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-08-12 at 11:41 PM.

Deleted
    ye 42 sorry

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i went the opposite route, the near silence and higher block heat transfer efficiency are why i went back to air cooling
    Wait, air is quieter then water? (never done a water build, tho I will eventually
    I cbf caring about noise for the gaming rig, but with my DAW it was a simple choice, get longer cords and put the fucking box OUTSIDE the recording room.
    Still, I been thinking of doing a serious UC (that's under clock) on an old mini atx cube pc for a media only computer (watchin movies ect), and since it'll just run videos and such, underclock it until the fan stops spinning more or less.

Current DAW is a macbook pro, cd drive removed and extra ssd installed there. Currently I use an ipad with touchOsc and Lemur to echo ableton live's ui and use my adhoc network so no noise at ALL in the room when recording

Gaming computer is a core 2 duo e8500 oc'd to 4g, ddr2 1066ram, sata drives. Diamond (I know...blah) 7770, 450watt pwr sup, can't remember brand, 3 screens, eyefinity setup, runs wow gw2 ect without issues in 25's, np.
    Yes I need a new gaming computer, but budgets and bills bros, budgets and bills
    Eventually
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2013-08-12 at 11:59 PM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Wait, air is quieter then water?
    yes, when you use a large heatsink like a NH-D14, that means you can use larger fans that operate slower, my NH-D14 will keep my CPU cool (60c max) at only 700 RPM on the fans, while you can do with with a radiator, generally fans on a rad need to operate a bit faster to overcome the backpressure

heatsinks also have flat fins, while radiators have zig-zag patterns, while the zig-zag increases the surface area, it creates much more wind turbulence, which increases noise, so even with a perfect theoretical fan that makes 0 noise, a radiator is going to produce more noise than a heatsink

the other thing to consider is that a heatsink is located in the core of your case, not on an external edge, this means that most of the sound is going to bounce around inside the case before making it to an exit, with a radiator, they are most commonly mounted on an vent

all of these combined mean that modern aircooling is much quieter than even some of the quietest water systems, there are some cases that will help, like the Cosmos RC1000 and the Ravens and FT02 that either have sound deflection or internal rad mounting, but these are neither cheap and with the cosmos, not available anymore

people often associate air cooling with noise because of older 80mm fans, and poorly designed cases like the HAF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Wait, air is quieter then water?
    Yes. Typically you will see just as many fans being used in watercooling builds as air builds, if not more. Ultimately a WC build still relies on airflow to work. Adding a pump to the build (although there are several near-silent pumps) and the fact that air has to be pushed through dense/thick radiators isn't exactly going to help things in the silence department.

Water was once quieter than air back when PC components weren't really built with silence in mind, it was all about performance. Graphics cards especially were notorious for being as loud as goddamn vacuum cleaners (8800GTX anyone?) with blower-style coolers dominating most designs and high-RPM fans everywhere.

But now air cooling is really been pushed to new limits of efficiency & silence thanks to companies like Noctua (fans/coolers), Asus & Gigabyte (aftermarket GPU cooling), Corsair & Fractal Design (cases), etc.

Nowadays you only go for water if you:
    > Love the idea of it and love seeing low temperatures, i.e. for giggles
    > Are an absolute performance-whore seeking brutal CPU & GPU overclocks by overvolting the shit out everything
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-13 at 12:55 AM.

With watercooling such as H100i you also have to keep an eye on your water temp as well. The max temp for a typical pump is 50°, so you don't really want to kill your pump especially when manually controlling the rad fans with a fan controller..

If you are having less noise with an air cooled system, you obviously don't know how to watercool. Being cursed with Cronic Fatigue Syndrom for the last 5 years has made me a silent-freak, wanting near silent computers. Saying a radiator is more noisy than a cpu heatsink is ignorant at best. Sure, if you choose random radiators with an extreme count of FPI then yes, you will need a higher static pressure to blow air through this effectively. If you are looking for silent performers, a 60mm low FPI rad with silent fans, like the noctua NF-F12's will make your radiator near silent. If you buy anything else than a D5 pump you only have yourself to blame for noise, mine does not make noise at all. The only time I can actually hear my computer is when I start Steam, and that is because my hard drive starts working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    If you are having less noise with an air cooled system, you obviously don't know how to watercool. Being cursed with Cronic Fatigue Syndrom for the last 5 years has made me a silent-freak, wanting near silent computers. Saying a radiator is more noisy than a cpu heatsink is ignorant at best. Sure, if you choose random radiators with an extreme count of FPI then yes, you will need a higher static pressure to blow air through this effectively. If you are looking for silent performers, a 60mm low FPI rad with silent fans, like the noctua NF-F12's will make your radiator near silent. If you buy anything else than a D5 pump you only have yourself to blame for noise, mine does not make noise at all. The only time I can actually hear my computer is when I start Steam, and that is because my hard drive starts working.
    I think the point was that water isn't going to be all that quieter than air since both systems typically use roughly the same number of fans. One system has fans blowing against radiators while the other has fans simply blowing, passing air through.

A Define R2 build using NF-F12's (undervolted) + a D14 would be so silent you would have difficulty telling whether it's turned on or not. Adding a D5 pump + low FPI radiators to that build isn't going to REDUCE that noise any further without violating the laws of physics.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-13 at 06:53 AM.