10+ Year Old Account
    What a catch on the keyboard. Just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goddamn I hate those tiny backspace keys >_<
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

hmm am i the only one here who actually prefers quality notebook-style scissor switches keyboards for their short travel and slim keys both for daily usage and gaming? Mostly for shoft travel as it actually decreases your input lag
    Last edited by anb; 2015-03-28 at 09:55 PM.

Deleted
    Shouldn't make any difference unless you bottom out keys

Quote Originally Posted by anb View Post
    hmm am i the only one here who actually prefers quality notebook-style scissor switches keyboards for their short travel and slim keys both for daily usage and gaming? Mostly for shoft travel as it actually decreases your input lag
    On the whole of the Internet? In the entire world? Yes, probably the only one, yeah.
    In seriousness, I have a real life friend for whom I've built a few setups that still insist on keyboards like that. They are not for me - I loathe any kind of the sort. But I was brought up in the olden days of olden mechanical boards.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Goddamn I hate those tiny backspace keys >_<
    I got used to it pretty quick. That said, I'm almost 30 and grew up with this type of layout. The only real beef I have with the thing is that the space bar is slightly shorter on the right than it should be because of the delete key placement.

EDIT: Looks like the seller finally got wise and bumped the price to $100. I guess it was fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by glo; 2015-03-29 at 01:58 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I mean, personally I don't really have an issue with actually using one, but I do greatly prefer a mechanical keyboard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    On the whole of the Internet? In the entire world? Yes, probably the only one, yeah.
    In seriousness, I have a real life friend for whom I've built a few setups that still insist on keyboards like that. They are not for me - I loathe any kind of the sort. But I was brought up in the olden days of olden mechanical boards.
    I more on the line of not really giving a crap myself. I just wanted a wireless illuminated keyboard myself, they had none in mechanical.

Also membrane is a bit quieter.

I decided to pick one of these up just for fun though, maybe ill keep it at my desk an dill put my wireless one at my bed.

We are putting a lot of faith in you glo!

In the ebay post it says that it is coming from unitech, looks like all the things this dude sells is from unitech.

And btw the real model is K258CM, not k258 like it says on the back. The k258 is a membrane keyboard, but they might just not label the cm part on the back of it, that is how the guy fucked up. Looks like an easy mistake to me, if he actually never picked up one of the key boards himself and just looked at the model number.
    Last edited by apepi; 2015-03-29 at 08:06 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    It works fine but I would personally never go back to membrane/scissor switches if I had the choice, after using one with cherry mx black for nearly a year now.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-03-29 at 10:48 AM.

Here is my build its the first one I 100% built myself. Sorry for the pic quailty it was taken via a shitty phone lol.

The build is as falllows...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    HardDrive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card
    Case: Rosewill RISE ATX Full Tower Case
    PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    DVD Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Like I said this is my first build I have done 100% myself. I normally only switched out parts if needed or moved them from one case to another. Putting the heatsink on had me nervous and I didn't screw it all the way so it ran hot and I fixed it lol.

The cords in the pic look like its a mess but it isn't I just hate how I got to run the Power Cord for the video card in the frount so it looks like a mess. When it just idles with chrome and some other stuff open it sits around 28c-30c and on a full load "Running Bioshock Infinite ultra 1080p" it runs around 40c. Also the video card looks bent but it came that way and seems made that way as well. Its long as hell and is working just fine.

Once again sorry for the blurry pics my phone sucks for taking pics. Thanks to everyone who helped me pick the parts and woot I can finally post in this thread lol.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-03-29 at 11:00 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted

White LED Strip, Side off

White LED Strip, Side on

Green CCFL's, Side on.

When the Green is on, it is not as bright as that picture, Quite a subdued Green rather than what is seen in the picture there,

Hardware
    Mobo : Gigabyte FXA990-UD3
    CPU : AMD 6350
    RAM : Generic 8 GB DDR3
    GPU : Radeon XFX6950 Double Dissipation
    PSU : Hiper Type M 670W PSU
    Case : Cool Master 935 Stacker

Cooling (push Pull)
    Pump : Phobya DC12-400
    Res : Alphacool Cape Fusion Core 30 Reservoir
    CPU Block :XSPC Raystorm
    Rad : Generic Radiator 2x120mm
    Fittings : Mixture of Alphacool and Barrow Fittings

There is a couple of things I am not totally happy with,
    Cable management could be a lot better, will have to get PSU extender cables before I can sort that though.
    There is literally no one on the net selling a compatible GPU waterblock for the card I have. Guess the next major investment will be GPU + Water block
    The Fans are just some Generic 120mm Case fans I had knocking around, want to change them for some quiet but High air flow fans.

On the whole though I am happy enough with it, For the time being. Think the next major upgrade will be switching to a Intel system or GPU + water block.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2015-03-29 at 12:29 PM.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will hopefully add a new cooler to my 980 tomorrow, I'll post pictures of it and my system if it goes well.

- - - Updated - - -

So I got my new cooler onto my card and all went well. No pictures for the time being though, as I still have some cable management to do. Totally not worth it either looks-wise. But my temperatures are insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alextrasza: http://youtu.be/a3TZ9zBvQVQ my signature is no longer accurate
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my sons new set up. It took 2 months to pay it off, so he just got it a couple days ago. We are still looking for a cheap but nice monitor, keyboard and mouse.

i5 3.2 GHz
    8GB Ram
    1 TB HD
    Windows 8.1
    Gigabyte GI.Sniper B6 motherboard
    MSI gtx 960 graphics card.
    NZXT Razer Ed. Steel mid-tower case

Last edited by Laraven; 2015-04-06 at 05:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Browsing ebay the other day, I randomly stumbled across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unitech-Clas...item3aa5075146

Did a little research and found out that it has original ALPS white switches, seemed like the guy pulled the wrong product description for his listing and I figured I'd give it a shot. Obviously he (or she) had no clue to what these things are worth if the model number was correct. Sure enough, they were brand new in the box after 20+ years, probably sitting in some random closet or warehouse. Can't beat $20 for a quality mechanical board, especially orginal ALPS! I grabbed two of them.

I swapped the numlock and delete key for more convenient delete placement. Also, gonna add a sound byte in case anyone ends up wanting to buy one off of this seller and is hesitant due to his own product description: https://clyp.it/wsilvcri

Without further ado, the glorious vintage mechanical keyboardness:
    Yeah, update here. I did receive it and it does have white alps. It is loud but is a nice sound. Layout is bad though, would not be so bad if I the backspace button would be bigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got mine back on Friday.

Is nice.

(The Keyboard-brand keyboard that comes in a box with KEYBOARD written all over it. lol)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Got mine back on Friday.

Is nice.

(The Keyboard-brand keyboard that comes in a box with KEYBOARD written all over it. lol)
    Funny, mine came in a brown cardboard box. I would have gotten it on Friday but mail lady just left a note for me to come pick it up.

It is nice and everything but I make way too much mistakes in this layout. I might just use my non-mechanical one and use this one for a back up. I will try it for a whole day and see if I get better.

Yeah, many older boards have a small backspace key, it used to be the standard. That said, if other keys are causing you issues, you can just pop caps off, swap stuff wherever and remap the keys.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yeah, many older boards have a small backspace key, it used to be the standard. That said, if other keys are causing you issues, you can just pop caps off, swap stuff wherever and remap the keys.
    It is honestly not long enough, my other keyboard has two or three inches on it. It feels way too compact. I don't care how good that mechonal feel is, if I have to spend time to go over and make sure that my spelling is wrong and everything, that is hurting efficient.

I think one of the reason is that the keyboards I have always used have been square, this one isn't. I have never really used one like this. The keys are also a bit taller than I am used too. The fucking enter key does not need one fucking random key cap space, because of this the \ key is in the wrong place. The addition to the delete key at the bottom was a nice touch though. I might just use this one for back up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That keyboard layout really minds me of like... 15~ years or so back. Man were those old. I never really had issues with keyboard layouts in particular, mostly cause I just keep using it and get used to it.