15+ Year Old Account
    Actually the reason is 2 fold.

1. The reason for RAM price increases is because the companies are diverting resources to developing next die shrinks of memory and GDDR6.
    2. The SSD production has increased as well, diverting resources from RAM to NAND FLASH because unlike what people think they actually use the same process and tech.

The rumour that Apple gets first pick is not even remotely true, Samsung gets first pick and the rest it doesn't GAF about.

Now RAM has increased in price stupidly but SSDs not so much since RAM is something you buy once and generally don't often upgrade.
    SSDs however are sold more and more because of new builds, old builds and upgrades.. it's pretty much the hottest item there is and generally is cheaper to manufacture.
    SSDs often (counting mainstream) use 4 to 8 NAND packages where RAM is ALWAYS 8 if they're single sided and 1 if double sided.
    This and if you look at M.2/mSATA format SSDs they tend to use 2 - 4 packages even.

Also Toshiba, which was the 2nd largest NAND FLASH production in the world, hasn't produced anything for a while and SanDisk being in the same boat in that regard has also attributed to increasing SSD prices by a small margin, kinda hilarious if you think about it since they actually developed FLASH NAND technology.

Too bad really... Toshiba's Toggle NAND was regarded as the best MLC memory consumers could get.

But for the reason of RAM ... Samsung has finally realized that there's been a little bit too much diverting of resources (done by all manufacturers) and is building a new factory to drive prices down for both SSDs and RAM.
    The question is whether Micron and Hynix will follow suit or not.

RAM prices are 3 times what they were a year ago.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Yeah, RAM is just way too high right now and I'm glad I don't need to build anything today. In April '16 when I build my i7-6700K system I paid $135 for a 32GB Corsair DDR4 LPX kit and today it costs $390.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Actually the reason is 2 fold.

1. The reason for RAM price increases is because the companies are diverting resources to developing next die shrinks of memory and GDDR6.
    2. The SSD production has increased as well, diverting resources from RAM to NAND FLASH because unlike what people think they actually use the same process and tech.

The rumour that Apple gets first pick is not even remotely true, Samsung gets first pick and the rest it doesn't GAF about.

Now RAM has increased in price stupidly but SSDs not so much since RAM is something you buy once and generally don't often upgrade.
    SSDs however are sold more and more because of new builds, old builds and upgrades.. it's pretty much the hottest item there is and generally is cheaper to manufacture.
    SSDs often (counting mainstream) use 4 to 8 NAND packages where RAM is ALWAYS 8 if they're single sided and 1 if double sided.
    This and if you look at M.2/mSATA format SSDs they tend to use 2 - 4 packages even.

Also Toshiba, which was the 2nd largest NAND FLASH production in the world, hasn't produced anything for a while and SanDisk being in the same boat in that regard has also attributed to increasing SSD prices by a small margin, kinda hilarious if you think about it since they actually developed FLASH NAND technology.

Too bad really... Toshiba's Toggle NAND was regarded as the best MLC memory consumers could get.

But for the reason of RAM ... Samsung has finally realized that there's been a little bit too much diverting of resources (done by all manufacturers) and is building a new factory to drive prices down for both SSDs and RAM.
    The question is whether Micron and Hynix will follow suit or not.

RAM prices are 3 times what they were a year ago.
    make that 3 fold according to this news post https://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...ll-DRAM-memory

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    make that 3 fold according to this news post https://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...ll-DRAM-memory
    Fair point... however the article exaggerates with the amount taken by smartphones.

Yes smartphones do sell a lot and they're popular, they however (in general) only take 1 NAND FLASH and 1 RAM package per phone.
    In terms of physical amount they simply do not match the prior mentions.

In a pure comparison of RAM.. most 16GB kits (and larger) are generally dual sided and have 16 RAM packages on it.
    And then counting the vast majority of that being 2 sticks of ram, making 1 person have 32 packages.

There are the single sided Samsung B-die RAM sticks which still have 8 packages on them and 16 for a dual channel kit in total.
    So there would literally have to be at minimum 16 to an average of 32 smartphones sold to 1 kit of RAM, and I'm talking consumer kits here .. not the server RAM which is even more.

But again that said, yes... Smartphones are another good reason.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Fair point... however the article exaggerates with the amount taken by smartphones.

Yes smartphones do sell a lot and they're popular, they however (in general) only take 1 NAND FLASH and 1 RAM package per phone.
    In terms of physical amount they simply do not match the prior mentions.

In a pure comparison of RAM.. most 16GB kits (and larger) are generally dual sided and have 16 RAM packages on it.
    And then counting the vast majority of that being 2 sticks of ram, making 1 person have 32 packages.

There are the single sided Samsung B-die RAM sticks which still have 8 packages on them and 16 for a dual channel kit in total.
    So there would literally have to be at minimum 16 to an average of 32 smartphones sold to 1 kit of RAM, and I'm talking consumer kits here .. not the server RAM which is even more.

But again that said, yes... Smartphones are another good reason.
    Should be more than that, internal storage is also RAM no? The 64 GB storage or however much they come with these days are also using RAM chips like SSD's I would assume.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Should be more than that, internal storage is also RAM no? The 64 GB storage or however much they come with these days are also using RAM chips like SSD's I would assume.
    The NAND FLASH is the internal storage, which is always 1 package.
    And it's the little brother of SSD packages, not nearly as fast etc. but in the same (and cheaper) family.

Like I said... the amount of smartphones aren't close to the amount of packages used in RAM, SSDs, GDDR etc.

Not currently at home, so can't post up to date pics. 1440p/144hz/Freesync/27 inch Acer monitor on the left, 1080p/ultrawide/75hz/29 inch/Freesync LG monitor on the right, standard 1080p/60hz asus monitor on top. I've since upgraded the case and keyboard to a Rosewill Cullinan and Logitech G910.

Rosewill Cullinan Red with NZXT Hue+ Lighting.

Specs
    i7-7700k at 4.5Ghz (will delid in a few months and try to push 5ghz)
    Deepcool Captain 240EX AiO cooler with red LED
    Asus Z170-P motherboard (had to update bios to run kaby lake)
    Sapphire Reference Vega 56
    32GB DDR4-3000
    500GB Samsung Evo SSD + 128GB Samsung Evo SSD + 1TB WD Blue HDD
    Rosewill Cullinan Case
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80+ Gold PSU

I dont have it yet but ordered today:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w96DD8

All the lights will look the same with asus aura, should look pretty cool behind that tinted glass

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I dont have it yet but ordered today:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w96DD8

All the lights will look the same with asus aura, should look pretty cool behind that tinted glass
    Weren't you all hyped about your AMD system mere weeks ago?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Weren't you all hyped about your AMD system mere weeks ago?
    Dont forget his thread about a 80$ Intel CPU that normal should cost 60$ and suggest to avoid Intel and now he orders a 420$ I7 8700k ^^.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Dont forget his thread about a 80$ Intel CPU that normal should cost 60$ and suggest to avoid Intel and now he orders a 420$ I7 8700k ^^.
    Right? Sigh. Some people get away with anything and everything. How much you want to bet he didn't buy this setup anyways?
    "A flower.

Right? Sigh. Some people get away with anything and everything. How much you want to bet he didn't buy this setup anyways?
    I wont bet on this i just believe he ordered it, there is no reason to lie on a small build like that. When i would use fake hardware setups i would go with fancy shit like two 1TB 960s in a raid or Intels Optane or 6 new Noctua Chromax fans and a overpriced LED nightmare of a tower.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just bought these fans at BF. I got really tired of the red theme i have now, so now i will try a purple theme. RGB fans cost to much, so it was MUCH cheaper to just buy purple LED fans and Corsair air series Qedition was on sale.

2x Corsair air series SP120mm purple
    1x Corsair air series AF120mm purple
    3x Corsair air series AF140mm purple

Will post pics, when i get them and get them installed
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Welp, Intel finally has a generation in Coffee Lake that has impressed me enough to upgrade away from my 2500K. Pics aren't great, I took them hastily after I finished the build last night.

Last post here.

CPU: Intel Core i5 8600K @4.6GHz
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 (not pictured)
    Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A
    Memory: 16GB EVGA SuperSC
    SSD1: 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
    SSD2: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4
    SSD3: 256GB OCZ Agility 4
    Video Card: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    Wireless PCIE Card: TP-LINK AC1300
    Case: Corsair 400C
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550W
    Primary Monitor: 27" QNIX QX2710
    Secondary Monitor: 23" Acer S231HL
    Mouse: Corsair Scimitar
    Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended
    Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG MX Silent
    Headset: HyperX Cloud II
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2018-09-06 at 12:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    SSD2: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4
    SSD3: 256GB OCZ Agility 4
    Primary Monitor: 27" QNIX QX2710
    Secondary Monitor: 23" Acer S231HL
    WELL WELL WELL WELL WELLLLLLL.

Look who it is! A long lost buddy!

I must admit, I'm damned impressed that:

A) You're STILL using a pair of OCZ SSDs from the elden days.
    B) Still has a QNIX.
    C) When did you get that Acer? That's the 23" version of the same type I had a 21.5" version of for a while, which I ultimately sold to my old job.
    "A flower.

A) You're STILL using a pair of OCZ SSDs from the elden days.
    B) Still has a QNIX.
    C) When did you get that Acer? That's the 23" version of the same type I had a 21.5" version of for a while, which I ultimately sold to my old job.
    Yeah, they still work, so they stay haha. The Agility 4 is actually a repurposed drive that a client no longer wanted. I flashed the firmware and it's been running like a champ for several years now! The Acer also came from a client who no longer wanted it!

I thought about replacing the QNIX this year actually, but I'm hoping the price on 144Hz 1440p monitors will come down soon.

Welp, Intel finally has a generation in Coffee Lake that has impressed me enough to upgrade away from my 2500K. Pics aren't great, I took them hastily after I finished the build last night.

Last post here.

Nice setup reminds me on mine. ^^

Last edited by Miyagie; 2017-12-06 at 12:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Miyagie you broke his quote?
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    <info clipped due to size>
    WTF Note.... I was expecting to see at least a Police Phone Booth TARDIS build.

I am disappointed!

@Miyagie you broke his quote?
    Ups deleted tomuch.