Audio issues after fresh windows 10 install

Starting to hate everything about computers...

Convinced myself a fresh install of windows 10 would remove any possibilities of corrupted drivers and now i'm having major issues.

Since the reinstall of windows 10, Both my audio drivers for my headset and microphone are acting up.

I use a Soundblaster ZX sound card for my headset and a Blue Snowball USB microphone so i don't think it's the devices fault, they was both perfectly fine before the reinstallation of windows.

Windows is fully updated too which i suspect is the issue.

Listening to music or talking to mates on Discord and all of a sudden the audio quality drops massively, or it prefers one ear and such, after a short while it'll fix itself, or replugging the device will also fix it. At one point doing the headset test, clicking the ear piece for the software/system to play a noise through, would play the noise through the opposite ear, for example, clicking left ear would play through right, and right played through right still, On one occasion clicking the ear pieces play a very quiet sound that sounded like it was underwater?

Same with the mic, Randomly would stop picking up my voice but the LED is on and it's working, had to disconnect it and reconnect it.

I can't seem to replicate it myself, just happens randomly, changing volume on youtube slider caused it a few times for example but doesn't right now.

Tempted to reinstall windows AGAIN, despite doing it yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uninstall drivers, then install them again. Sounds an awful lot like a problem I was having with some bad drivers for my dac/amp

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Uninstall drivers, then install them again. Sounds an awful lot like a problem I was having with some bad drivers for my dac/amp
    I have several times, I had this issue before i reinstalled once after updating windows, as usual it breaks sound settings. Reinstalling fixed it then but right now it's not doing anything, not long term anyway.

Seems like Windows is auto installing it's own drivers for it, despite me telling it not too and they're conflicting.

You can disable driver updates for a specific device after you install the correct one.
    Google it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Communismo View Post
    You can disable driver updates for a specific device after you install the correct one.
    Google it up.
    Yeah I've disabled automatic driver installations but i uninstalled my drivers, rebooted and a bunch of drivers was already installed for the Soundblaster Zx, making it seem like the disabling did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Yeah I've disabled automatic driver installations but i uninstalled my drivers, rebooted and a bunch of drivers was already installed for the Soundblaster Zx, making it seem like the disabling did nothing.
    That's pretty weird. I had a driver problem on a laptop a couple weeks ago - Windows kept updating a driver that made the touchpad unusable. I had to disable updates for that device and now everything is peachy.

I had an issue where my sound stopped working completely on my daughters laptop after a windows reinstall. I had to go in and take the driver out and then uninstall the device from device manager. I even had to go in and delete a registry entry for upper and lower bound. after that I let windows update the driver on it's own and I got the sound working. I made sure to make a system image backup after all of those issues. I suspect the issue had to do with a failed windows update.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had issues with my Sound Blaster Recon3D which is pretty much the same as the Soundblaster ZX but the ZX has better dacs for higher quality sound. Both use the same sound chip, and both suffer from Creatives shit drivers. That's why I got myself a Asus sound card to replace it cause I got sick of dealing with their drivers. Part of that problem is also Windows 10 cause some of these updates do break sound card drivers. Even the Asus DGX sound card I have may encounter problems in the future from Windows 10 updates as told by the UNi Xonar Drivers. Unfortunately the Creative Sound card does sound better than the Asus but for now I've had no problems with the Asus. Creative needs to step up and fix their drivers.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of motherboard you using? I read there some issues with that card and ASUS motherboards. Also read reports that Creative Labs abandon updating drivers for this card back in 2014.
    Last edited by hawkeyeTA; 2018-12-24 at 03:57 AM.

Updating this, maybe jinxing myself,

I have fixed the audio issue, I used windows media creation to reinstall windows 10 but my current USB lacked the required space to make a bootable device apparently, needed 8gb, i had 7.75gb free, so i did it via windows itself and it seemed to not have fully reformated my device despite me telling it to delete everything.

Found this out by trying to play league, went to reinstall it and it said i already had the file name installed, and it had files from 2016... Reinstalled windows over night via a usb this time and it completely reformated and 0 audio issues right now. Seems like my audio devices were corrupt last time due to that.

currently still having wow issues though.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...t-dx12-update/
    Alright i have had this issue since i upgraded to a 1440p setup and instaled a RTX 2070, i play windowed and the client kept automatically (randomly, sometimes hours after playing) resizing, so would make the window smaller or bigger and then back and freeze, sometimes it dosen't hard freeze but most of the time it does.

I also tried wows fullscreen option too.

I thought it was the RTX card being dodgy, i had a few other issues with it, so i RMA'd it, meanwhile i'm using my old 970 which was perfect for wow.

The same client resize/freeze issue is happening on that too.

I have tried:
    - Full screen and borderless/windowed mode
    - Gsync on and off
    - Reinstalled wow
    - Reinstalled windows
    - Set ram back to stock settings

I'm clueless what to do.

The only things that I've changed before this happened is:
    - Dual 60hz monitor setup -> 144hz+60hz Dual setup (Using acer predator xb271hu as primary)
    - Installed RTX 2070 from a msi 970, but i have since reinstalled windows with the 970 installed and dosen't work
    - Changed DX11 -> DX12
    - Updated Geforce drivers to optimise DX12
    - Since i was 1080p 60hz gaming, i always had Vsync on with 60fps cap, Vsync is now disabled in wow in favor for Gsync

I have a mate who uses a 970 and the same Geforce drivers with the same windows version / update and is fine, or so he says, only difference is, he's using the TN 1080p panel of the acer predator, which doesn't include Gsync.

Anyone having the same issue with wow?
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2018-12-24 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssmart View Post
    Hi,

It looks like you have already tried some of the solutions suggested in this thread. At the same time, we would like to confirm if you have already tried the troubleshooting steps listed in the articles from this resource.
    The only solution is to buy another sound card. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 straight to 1809 and put back in my Sound Blaster Recon3D which is essentially the same as the Sound Blaster Z. Did nothing as sometimes when I resume my PC from sleep there's no sound. I could avoid the issue by putting my PC into hibernate instead of sleep but screw that and instead I installed my Asus Xonar instead.

Windows update fucks things up, and in my case I wanted to reinstall Windows mostly cause at some point I was watching Windows take 5 minutes of doing nothing when booting and I couldn't figure out why. Fresh install of Windows fixed that. Windows update is so bad that right now it does break sound for a lot of people, including Asus Xonar. My best suggestion is the try the PAX drivers and see if that fixes the problem. All the sound card manufacturers have given up on supporting their sound cards except for Realtek.

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/#win10
    Drivers above 1821 v1.71 may cause BSOD when waking system from sleep (#1, #2, #3). It’s unclear if it is a driver issue or a Windows issue that’s triggered in specific conditions that are met when using drivers above 1821 v1.71. Since ASUS/C-media driver support is pretty much dead and most people didn’t have this issue until Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, people having this issue should contact Microsoft support and submit their crash dumps.

The case study you've presented here is a goldmine of practical strategies for tackling [specific problem]. Can't wait to implement these tips. freewarezpc.com

The step-by-step approach outlined in this post makes it so much easier to grasp the complexities of [specific concept]. Thanks for breaking it down. Crackerspc.com

The examples provided in this post make it easy to understand the real-world applications of [specific strategy]. Thanks for the clarity and depth. RealSoftPC.com