Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Dropping Mastery for leveling ?

Assuming your leveling as MM which i believe is faster than BM dropping all mastery and picking up either your haste or crit again may work out to be faster for leveling because of not much up time on mobs for wild quiver to proc on

Anyone agree / disagree

Trying to prepare for cata leveling wanna try realm first need some tips and theory crafting !

ya thats i was thinking about

15+ Year Old Account
    Is MM really better though? I heard 83-85 mobs hit alot harder etc, wouldn't having BM better compensate for this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidmage View Post
    Is MM really better though? I heard 83-85 mobs hit alot harder etc, wouldn't having BM better compensate for this?
    I totally agree with that

MM doesn't do that much more damage than BM

Quote Originally Posted by Eironn View Post
    Trying to prepare for cata leveling wanna try realm first need some tips and theory crafting !
    Dont even bother.
    Those that are going to get server firsts have bunch of people supporting them, have already roadmap of quests, will have buddies ready to summon them almost anywhere. Or most likely they have spent already some time in beta in new dungeons and now they will be just rolling through them repeatedly over and over.
    Lone rider like you, much more someone asking for tips rather that searching for them, is only going to get frustrated because he rushed too much just to find that he lost and didnt enjoy the game. What is the point in it?

You will want to be BM because the mobs in the first zone ( I went to hyjal never touched more than 4-5 quests in vashir ) will have ~30k hp and quest bosses have ~80k. With kill command your pet will always have threat and as BM you will want to keep your mastery as well as replace your gear with all mastery gear from quests that have more rating than your current,
    Also, reforging crit is not good at all. after you level once you lose a good portion of your crit ( 25% ish )

End of the day you either get realm first 85 or you get 85 and you start getting into content and gearing its a win win situation

As for MM vs BM pets are pretty tank as MM as well if u need to spec BM just to kill a mob then theres sumthing definetly wrong with the game considering ive played 5 and half years

Edit for above

Threat is not a issue with the MD glyph
    Tenacity pet can easily take a beating as MM try it

BM > MM imo, 10% mount speed increase is a big gain.

Also there is little difference between MM and BM due to you'll just be spamming arcane shot to kill the mob as chimera wont be worth it..

and ofc when the mob has 100k hp its nice to be able to keep it on your pet with kill command.

There is very little DPS difference between the 2 specs when leveling. The only difference will be the focus regen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junlee View Post
    You can't even post in the proper forum. If Blizzard employees functioned as you do, your character would queue up for a BG and end up in Molten Core.

How many quests in cata have you killing 1 mob then going to hand it in pretty sure most of the quests you kill multiple mobs for drops / kills bm has way 2 much down time u cant spam arcane shot non stop u run out of focus and then u need stand there and cast steady to get it bak up you also need to wait for pets to attack grab agro etc or use md which is same for MM

The easiest way to see the difference is go icecrown as bm leveling spec go try to kill 10 - 15 things time your self after that respec the MM spec with rapid recuperation for the 50 foucs on kill then kill 10 - 15 time ur self see which 1 was faster

Heh, that's not too good of an example. You'll have to spend a bit of time on each mob when going 80-85. It won't just be Chimera -> Dead -> Arcane x2 -> Dead and so on. No Hunter spec has any 'down time' if you spend more than 6 seconds per mob, which you will be doing as mobs have 30-90k health when leveling to 85. Going SV, or Marks for leveling does work, but it's significantly slower. Especially having to MD constantly, which gets old very quickly.

BM > SV > Marks when going 80-85. Keep an SV spec for instance and go to it. Marks is left in the dust after 81.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since BM really doesn't have any big pet talents anymore, for reducing damage and such, Tenacity + MM will be easier, with less steady shots due to Rapid Killing, just glyph for mend pet and Misdirection.

MM with a ferocity pet seemed fastest for me. Bloodfury keeps the pet healed enough. Mend pet keeps it alive through any elite

Deleted
    Mm 80-82/83
    bm 83-85

why do you guys assume bm is better? how many of you making this statement actually leveled as both?

the reason im asking is even in twilight highlands, mobs would be 50% hp before the pet got to it, devaluing pet dmg by 50% is a huge deal. the pet tanking the mobs is a nonsense argument -- pets of any spec tank them just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just planned on using a kitty for the agility buff when doing normal quests, and then whipping out a turtle for the occasional elite, but that would just be taking it safe.

the only quest i couldnt tank with my cat was the ring of blood quests -- which required using my level 82 bear to solo (still as marks)

I'm pretty sure BM will be the spec to level as, but if you are going to go MM, dropping mastery probably would be a good idea.

in beta I did 80 to 85 in MM with a ferocity pet. Little to no effort involved. However the differences between beta and live are still yet to be determined when it comes to leveling. We will see then.
    Fanboy (Fanboi): A Term used when someone disagrees with you on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate your counterpoint back so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming you into silence and thus them winning through dominance.

I would also advise against dropping mastery for MM.

what does mastery give you? a chance to do an extra attack -- kinda like a chance to do extra damage... like crit?

in fact, if you are going marks, it may be a good idea to drop crit as you will not be using steady shot at all and will not be receiving the full benefit of crit as modeled by dps calculators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kripparrian View Post
    the only quest i couldnt tank with my cat was the ring of blood quests -- which required using my level 82 bear to solo (still as marks)
    What spec were you running with on your cat?