Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    No, you can max it with an overclocked high-end dual core.

WoW BARELY takes advantage of the 3rd and 4th cores. They specifically say that their multi-core support is experimental, and it really isn't all that great.

The reason the new processors (i7s etc) outperform the high-end dual cores in terms of WoW is almost entirely because of processor improvements like increased cache size.
    That just seems unlikely to me. If I upped my 3.0 GHz to 3.8 then switched all settings to ultra, I don't see myself going from ~40 fps at half high half ultra to 60 fps at full ultra (as in shadows and water, which are usually the toughest on hardware).

12GB of ram but im running more heavy programs than wow, for wow 4 is ENOUGH, especially on quad/i7

Deleted
    why is everyone being trolled by the 1-terrabyte-RAM guy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SadisticChipmunk View Post
    WoW's biggest hardware resource is the CPU. Even changing out graphics cards within hundreds of dollars of each other will result in little performance upgrade if your bottleneck is your CPU.

With that said, WoW does support several cores now, and you must change an INI file to allow for it. However even a quad core running at a low clock speed per core will be out performed by a dual core running at a higher clock speed (significantly higher, not 100).

I myself run an i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66ghz processor, Overclocked to 4ghz on Air. With Liquid cooling or even a better air cooler (like a megahelims), the i5 750 can overclock to 4.4ghz (more with Liquid). Prior to upgrading to this processor, i was getting seriously low FPS in Dal, 25man raids, etc... running on a 9800GTX videocard. The moment I changed to this set up and maintained that video card, I get over 200 frames in Dal, raids etc... peaking over 400 in other zones. However I have since limited my Frames to 60 across the board.

I also run 4Gb DDR3.
    Little offtopic:
    What's this INI file you are talking about? I don't think wow is using more than 1 of my core's atm, wouldb awesome if it did.

so is
    Processor::Intel® Core™ i7 970 Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
    Memory::12 GB [4 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card::ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards)
    overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Aqir View Post
    Well everyone in the thread say 4 gig is enough blah blah, see, the major thing about ram is the speed of it, and what kind of ddr it is, 1 gig ddr3 ram is better then 4 gig of ddr ram. And if you have an old motherboard and running on 400 mhz ddr ram, then 4 gig might not be enough.

Hope that helped
    Didn't help at all. If you have 1 GB RAM on vista or 7, while running wow you will be forced to use the swap file. At that point, your speed will be hindered by your HDD. This is going to be a much greater performance hit then using slower RAM. The most important thing is to have enough, then worry about the quality and speed of it. Furthermore, the mhz of RAM is only relevant in regards to the rest of the system. The types of proccessors that support 400mhz RAM are already slow, and the RAM itself isn't really the one doing the harm. In regards to RAM speed, the only real relevant numbers are the timings, mostly the CAS latency. Again, if you don't have enough, all these minuscule gains are moot if you do not have enough RAM, because you will be forced to use the much slower hard drive.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

you don't need quad core for wow or overclock dual core. who are these trolls? it barely stresses one if you have an even moderate graphics card by modern standards. gtx260 for example. its still the same old engine with a bit of shiny added. I'm on 32 bit; 3 gig RAM and athlon 2 something and a gtx 260 from when they first came out and run on ultra with no slowdown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    you don't need quad core for wow or overclock dual core. who are these trolls? it barely stresses one if you have an even moderate graphics card by modern standards. gtx260 for example. its still the same old engine with a bit of shiny added. I'm on 32 bit; 3 gig RAM and athlon 2 something and a gtx 260 from when they first came out and run on ultra with no slowdown.
    And what resolution are you using? I have 32 bit Win7, 3gb RAM, 3 GHz core 2 duo and a 1gb 5770 at 1920x1080. Using ultra will put me at ~35 fps and probably lower in large groups. The new water and HQ shadows can really hit fps hard.

Deleted
    I have 2GB's and everything except shadow quality on Ultra. Can't see why people need so many resoruces for a game like wow, I have a constant 60 FPS while not in a raid and not going under 40 FPS during boss fights wich is over the ~30 FPS you need to see for fluid motion.

2GB's RAM, Dual Core x2GHz, 512 graph card \o/.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Over 9000!

Hmm, I have only 3. Vista does not support more I think. Does 7 (non 64) support more?
    It is not about Windows version... it is about bits. 32-bit systems cannot use more than 3GBs of RAM, though x64 can use more (not sure about limits).

OT: 4GBs is more then enough. I would check your CPU (it is crucial for raiding, I would suggest Core 2 Quad [or if you are feeling rich go for i7 => new Motherboard, new RAMS = DDR3]) and GPU (check your PSU and power recommendations before you buy one).

My specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 (2.66GHz)
    Apacer 2x 2GB DDR2
    nVidia GeForce GTX460 (overclocked)

With this I am getting 60FPS (my display's max with VSync enabled; 1920x1080) outside raids and 40-50 inside. Only Uldum cut my FPS to 20-30... but helll that zone is awesome. :P
    Last edited by mmoc5986446218; 2010-11-26 at 04:49 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR!!!

With my old PC & 2 GB, I experienced a LOT of swapping. Upgraded it to 4GB and the swapping was gone pretty much altogether. 4 is enough unless you have multiple memory-hogging apps running on background.
    What comes to multicore CPUs, take a peek at your cpu loads while running the game. At least on my system (i7), it's only loading 3 cores, and even they aren't running on 100%.

would this be able to run wow at max??
    remove the space

ASUS G73JW-XA1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
    google it i cant post links yet srry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    Try multisampling x8 and Texture Filtering on x16 Anisotropic and we can discuss after this again.

kinda off topic if you have a 1000wat power supply will i need something extra to run it from a normal household outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zando View Post
    4 gig is enough... but I have 1 terra at the moment. Runs as smooth as silk.
    I lol'd. 1TB of RAM. Good one.

@OP: 4 gigs is plenty. I have 8 gigs on my machine but that's mainly because I do a lot of things simultaneously so the extra memory helps.

I have the 8GB of RAM, a GTX 285, and an AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU (3.0GHz quad core) and I run the game on all ultra settings at 60+ FPS no matter where I am.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgenius View Post
    kinda off topic if you have a 1000wat power supply will i need something extra to run it from a normal household outlet?
    No, it should be fine.

Just don't run too much off the same electrical socket (although this applies with any computer). Having 3 powerbars linked together with 15 things plugged in WILL overload that socket.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I'd go with 6gb if your graphics card takes up 2gb like mine does :P

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    No, it should be fine.

Just don't run too much off the same electrical socket (although this applies with any computer). Having 3 powerbars linked together with 15 things plugged in WILL overload that socket.
    lol ok thanx i will be sure not to do that

Deleted
    ONLY 4 gigs?! You serious? Spoiled guy is spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gielnik View Post
    ONLY 4 gigs?! You serious? Spoiled guy is spoiled.
    Hehe I kinda thought the same thing. Most people I know run with like 1GB, and some even as little as 512mb.