Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka View Post
    MF is an interesting spell in that only the first tick can miss, meaning that hit doesn't affect 2/3 of that source of damage.
    Not really sure what you're saying here - are you saying that the first tick of a MF cast can miss but it will continue to channel and the 2nd and 3rd ticks can hit? If that's what you're saying, that's incorrect.

If a MF misses, the whole spell misses, not just the first tick - the mana is spent, as well as a GCD, but the spell does not continue to channel if it's a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePhan1234 View Post
    What's everyone's DPS like on Nefarian? Im struggling to top 14k, I'm always hovering at 13.8ish.
    10 or 25 man? 25 man I am doing 18kish, the top priest on WOL who has like 500 more sp than me is pulling 22k

Edit - Got a SS for ya, **** hunters :P
    Last edited by zenkai; 2011-01-08 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    If the first tick lands however, all 3 ticks will land.
    In addition, if it misses you lose out on 1 GCD of a 2 GCD duration spell, unlike a nuke which spends its entire time for a miss... its not like fireball magically reduces its cast time by 50% each miss.

15+ Year Old Account
    With the changes to Shadow Orbs, does anyone think it will increase mastery's stat weight?

I doubt it, considering they didn't do anything to change the RNG-ness of orb generation. It may be closer to crit now, but that probably just means I won't really be reforging mastery -> crit anymore

Mind Sear base damage has been increased by 60%, from [ 91 - 98 ] to [ 146 - 158 ]

/bow

At least now the other half of our 2-set bonus (5% crit to mind sear) will be worth it.

If I mind control a player from another faction and then auto-attack a player of my own faction in a quest area with guards that kill people who initiate combat, and let's say I'm in a spot where they won't aggro on me, will the guards kill my mind controlled target?
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    If I mind control a player from another faction and then auto-attack a player of my own faction in a quest area with guards that kill people who initiate combat, and let's say I'm in a spot where they won't aggro on me, will the guards kill my mind controlled target?
    When you mind control a person of the opposing faction they are classified as your faction and is a friendly target to you and your allies. So you can't auto attack a player of your own faction.

And before you ask, if you MC someone of the opposing faction and send him into his own city the guards will attack him but they stop if MC runs out and they will go after you.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lufia View Post
    Mind Sear base damage has been increased by 60%, from [ 91 - 98 ] to [ 146 - 158 ]

/bow

At least now the other half of our 2-set bonus (5% crit to mind sear) will be worth it.
    Perhaps you should read the official patch notes instead of the datamined ones. It's 15% + we can now channel Mind Sear on a friendly target.

Mind Blast damage been increased to a value that's 50% greater than Mind Spike, This means that it will do around 15k dmg non crit (Mind Spike does 10k).

This will most likely mean that it will be cast on CD again since its DPET will now be at least 3 times as high as Mind Flay itself (although this is not certain).

On a side note its DPET is around half of VT (at my current haste level). However if it is cast on CD, its DPCD (damage per cooldown) will in fact be greater than VT since VT (on my current gear with emp shadows and evangelism and also accounting for the upcoming mastery change) is approximately (4000 x 1.1 x [(0.16 x 0.14)+1.14] x 6) / (15 + 1.2)sec = 1894 DPCD, whereas MB will have approximately 15000 / (6.5 + 1.2) sec = 1948 DPCD...
    This effectively puts MB on a higher priority than even VT.

Now another question is: is it better to cast MB on CD? or wait for 3 orbs? The answer depends on your mastery rating.

Using my current mastery rating in the calculation:
    The chance of an orb proc is 10% base + 8% talent = 18% for each MF/SW:P tick (not counting being critically struck by enemy).
    This means an average of 100/18 = 5.56 ticks is required to get 1 orb. So in order to get 3 orbs you must do an average of 16.67 ticks, lets round up to 17 ticks, shared between MF and SWP
    Assuming MF ticks 3 times as fast as a SWP (this is quite a bold assumption atm), therefore:
    17 = 3*MFticks + 1*SWPticks
    This gives us 12.75 MF ticks and 4.25 SWP ticks on average is required to get 3 orbs.

(12.75 MF ticks / 3) = 4.25 MF casts. Therefore an average 4.25 MF casts is required to gain 3 orbs (assuming swp is on target)

The time required to do 4.25 casts (using my current haste profile) is 4.25 x 2.4 = 10.2 seconds.

Using my current mastery profile, with 3 orbs up, MB will do an additional 34% damage... with the changes in mastery bonus, it will do an additional 34 x 1.16 = 39.44% damage.
    15000 x 1.3944 = 20916 damage with 3 orbs.
    New DPCD = 20916 / (10.2+1.2) = 1835 DPCD.

As you can see this is in fact lower DPCD compared to the DPCD i calculated for casting MB on CD with no orbs...Also the 10.2 seconds used in the calculation still did not factor the time spent casting other spells such as VT and DP in between, so in reality it will be even longer. Plus, I also assumed that if I didn't wait for 3 shadow orbs, I wouldn't get any orbs at all, when in reality theres a very good chance I get at least 1 orb before the CD of MB is up. However higher mastery rating will definitely favour casting MB with 3 orbs.

In order for casting MB on 3 orbs to be the better option you will need to exceed 1948 DPCD. This means (given my current haste rating) I will need:
    1948 x 11.4 = 22207 MB damage
    22207 / 15000 = 1.48 This means that at 3 orbs my MB must hit at least 48% harder for casting MB with 3 orbs to be the better option (on average). However this 48% value is not static. It will change depending on your other stats such as haste rating.

However I still don't recommend waiting for 3 orbs because it takes too much time to gather it up and you are VERY likely to lose out on emp shadows buff. This is just a simple analysis comparing the two casting options on its own

This MB change, plus the improved mastery changes, will definitely provide a heavy boost to the already awesome shadow PvE single target damage. Look forward to see if this changes mastery stat weight.
    Last edited by zsun; 2011-01-16 at 04:21 AM.

Edit: seems to be working now

At zsunnie:

Wouldn't waiting for 3 orbs be a dps loss because you can proc more wasting orbs.

And if the opener is still Dots - mind blast for 1 orb - mind flay we can use mind blast right after we apply our dots because 1 our dots are already on the target and obtaining empowered shadows at that time would be pointless and 2 casting mind blast will do more damage then mind flay.

After we get SW:P rolling we should all have atleast 1 orb for every mind blast from now on.

Tdlr: We should be casting mind blast on cooldown from now on
    Last edited by zito; 2011-01-15 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Edit: seems to be working now

At zsunnie:

Wouldn't waiting for 3 orbs be a dps loss because you can proc more wasting orbs.
    Yes what I said above is purely based on my current gear setup, and that is to cast MB on CD no matter what since it provides a higher DPCD. What you just said further reinforces my point. However, I also said that after a certain level of mastery rating, waiting for 3 orbs will be the better theoretical option. This is purely theoretical and certain practicalities such as wasting orb procs and losing Emp shadows can certainly offset this by a lot. With that said I am still looking into whether if casting an orbless mind blast twice in a row and losing emp shadow buff will cause a concern. But considering its priority is higher than VT itself (even WITH emp shadows) the concern shouldn't be that big.

EDIT: I have made a post here that compares the dps lost by delaying Mind Blast and losing out Emp shadows:

As for your opener, I'm not sure about DoTs but if you open with an orbless MB you already did 50% damage of an entire VT in just 1.2 seconds...

EDIT: I believe it's time to officially start "State of Shadow 4.0.6"
    Last edited by zsun; 2011-01-16 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post

Quoted for truth

Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    I agree.
    Thread closed.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~