Advertising isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-11-25 at 07:51 PM.

Ford v Ferrari (Le Mans '66) 7/10. Nothing revolutionary, but a decent racing movie.

Creed II 7/10

Finally got around to seeing this. Mind you, I didn't see Creed 1, but II was on Hulu and my Hulu expires this week, thought I'd see it before it does. Loved it. A very good movie honoring Rocky IV, and in particular, Apollo Creed's legacy. Viktor Drago was made a sympathetic antagonist, unlike his father Ivan, who in the original is presented as a machine, but here finds further character development. It's a tale of two sons trying to live up to their father's legacies, and also trying to redeem their failures, but learning to fight for themselves. Just very well done. Rocky plays the role of Mickey well. The fights are wonderfully choreographed, the training montages intense, and the end heartwarming. If this is the final movie of the Rocky universe, it's a beautiful sendoff they would be hard pressed to top for the characters of both generations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 7/10

This movie didn't have a plot and imo it was also around 20-30 min to long. But I still enjoyed it. Tarantino just have a way of writing dialogue about nothing but it is fun to watch. Both The last 20 min was Tarantino at his best, both DiCaprio and Pitt gave great performances. If you are someone that enjoy Tarantino films I would say this is still worth a watch.

Ready or Not: 8/10

Short, compact enjoyment. A dark comedy horror movie with easy rewatchability. I had a blast watching this and the second it was over I could watch it again. Just pure entertaintment, nothing drags and the performances were good.

Dolemite Is My Name (2019) - 7/10 (B)

This reminds me a bit of The Disaster Artist, but in a more feel-good, African-American version. Eddie Murphy is really good in it. It's tripping the line between a 7/10 and an 8/10.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rambo Last Blood

This one caught me by surprise and if it had a theatrical release I can't imagine it was widely distributed.

Was a real big fan of Stallone coming back to direct Rambo, Rocky Balboa and The Expendables. Two mindless action movies with gratuitous violence and another which was created from the heart to reinvigorate their respective genres and a become great additions to their franchises without feeling forced especially in a time where reboots and sequels no one asked for gained more and more traction.

So I am a bit upset with how Rambo Last Blood feels like a sequel no one asked for and how even for a franchise which isn't built on depth is as shallow as it is. The story itself is pretty on the nose when it comes to the negative commentary you often hear towards Mexico but the series has never been shy about manipulating cultural influences and conflict to drive the story and yet this just felt a little bit much. As soon as the girl says she needs to go to Mexico, John Rambo immediately goes in to PTSD and it got kind silly how immediately triggered he gets just by hearing that word especially without any context.

The film doesn't use its time well when it comes to creating a credible threat and takes too much time trying to build up forgettable characters to feel attached to so it hurts the end product especially since this is the shortest Rambo movie which ultimately creates a very short, underwhelming Rambo vs. showdown with little to no payoff.

There's something about Stallone which made the film seem off too. Not that he's too old or kind of looks like he has a plastic sheen but it seemed like he was contractually obligated to like the movie rather than provide a performance you expect from him as John Rambo which likely could be attributed to the story and how it more or less hinged on the fact that Rambo had to do some uncharacteristically stupid things in order to push forward.

Easily the weakest movie in the series and I don't think I'll rewatch it any time soon.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-11-24 at 04:10 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

The Hole in the Ground (2019) - 3/10

I saw it because it was highly recommended by Red Letter Media and I was desperate for something new to watch. The story is very simple to the point of being boring. The characters were boring. Fell asleep part way through and I honestly felt I missed nothing. There were interesting ideas but those were discarded in favor of being as boring as possible.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Brick (2005) - 7/10 (B)

Film noir, but high school! A match made in anime-heaven. Even though it's a low-budget American movie. Decided to give it a watch because it was mentioned in a review I saw of Knives Out, which I'll watching in the coming week. The concept is fun, although I don't think the movie rises much further above it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jojo Rabbit: 9/10 Funny. Sad. Wonderful.

Ralph Breaks the Internet: 6.5/10 It was an OK way to waste an afternoon.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Le Mans 66

A solid 8/10, great performance by both Matt Damon and Christian Beale

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post

Attack of the Clones: A shit film with an even shittier plot. I still have no idea why they made Yoda a Light Saber gymnast. He's a Jedi master because of the Force, NOT BECAUSE OF THE DAMN LIGHT SABER! FUCK! 3/10 though, because there's no Jar Jar.
    Well to be honest...the force was why he was jumping around...he wasn't that spry naturally or else he probably wouldn't need a cane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally got around to watching Blade Runner 2049. I'd give it at least an 8/10. I enjoyed the original Blade Runner, but I thought it had pacing issues. 2049 is a much longer movie, but it zipped by without issue for me.

Hereditary
    9.5/10
    It's meant to be a horror movie, and it definitely succeeds in that regard, but I think what is so great about Hereditary is how it plays with your emotions and leaves them completely messed up/disturbed. There is a particular scene/sequence in the movie that packs such an emotional punch that I think it will be drilled into your mind for several days (for those who have seen the movie, I'm talking about the scene where the son takes the daughter to the party, and the events that follow, and especially the reaction from the mother). By far the stand out is actress Toni Collette (the mother), she is amazing in this movie, in fact I think I became a fan of hers immediately after watching this movie, so much so that I am interested in seeing the movie Knives Out (which comes out this week) purely because she is in it!

The reason I couldn't quite give this movie a 10 was because the ending was just so absurd that it didn't seem like the writer was taking the movie seriously anymore, although I'm not sure if the movie could have been ended in any way that would have done the first half of the movie justice, since the first half is perfection.

Toy Story 4
    7/10
    The first three Toy Story movies I consider to be masterpieces, my gut feeling would be to give all three of them 10/10; every character is just so relateable and the storylines and story arcs just flow so smoothly and convincingly. On the other hand, immediately after watching Toy Story 4, I had no hesitation ranking it as easily the worst movie out of the series, although I find it difficult to pinpoint exactly why.

I guess all the characters seem worse (even the ones that were in previous movies): Bonnie is just annoying (compared to Andy), Bonnie's parents don't have any personality compared to Andy's mother, Buzz is made to look stupid, Woody is made to look inept, the new characters Duck and Bunny seem like assholes (in fact the rest of the gang of toys from the previous movies borderline fit that criteria too near the end of the movie when they are trying to buy time for Woody), however, probably the worst are Forky and Bo Peep, the central characters of the movie. The whole plot of the movie surrounds Forky, and it just felt extremely contrived; the whole Bonnie's favourite toy immediately becoming Forky, then the whole Forky constantly trying to escape, and then the whole Woody finding his sole purpose in life being keeping Forky safe and sound, and eventually having both jump out the back of the van while it's speeding away. Bo Peep I found somewhat unlikeable, although that's obviously very subjective; I find it hard to pinpoint the exact reason other than the fact that it just feels like she is 'forced' onto us, she doesn't seem like a very realistic or relateable character, and is just an exaggerated caricature of a 'strong female character'. A 'strong female character' done right, in my opinion, would be Jessie in both Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3; she is very likeable as a character, while being very assertive and capable, in fact she is probably my favourite character in the Toy Story series.

Fighting With My Family - 7/10. True story about a wrestler from Norwich making it big in the WWE. Quite funny and quite touching in places. Recommended.

Joker 0/10

Boring movie where nothing unexpected happens. I don't get the big deal.

Fighting With My Family - 7½/10. True story about a wrestler from Norwich making it big in the WWE. Quite funny and quite touching in places. Recommended.

Chinatown (1974) - 8/10 (A-)

I like noir, and this is classic film noir (or neo-noir if you wanna be entirely correct). Lovely screenplay.

The Irishman (2019) - 7/10 (B)

It was good, the craft was good, but I didn't find it completely riveting sadly. It's a long, somber movie, and while I appreciate what they were trying to do, I believe you are supposed to feel a strong sense of tragedy at the end, and I didn't.

Knives Out (2019) - 8/10 (A-)

A whodunnit movie that feels both classic and fresh. Really liked the writing, it is sharp and witty with some entertaining characters.

Joker - 4/10
    Painful watch that actually made me cringe several times. It's devoid of any meaning or message. Visuals were good. Acting seemed forced same goes for the dialogue. I'd probably have to rewatch it for a more detailed take but I really don't want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 7.5/10

A lot of jank and probably Tarantino's most nonsensical film, but the setpieces are great, the acting is fantastic and there is a lot of love put into emulating the late 60's. However, everything just seems kinda meandering and inconsequential, there is nothing of real substance there, just unadulterated, high quality jank only Tarantino knows how to make.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2019-11-30 at 10:54 PM.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 5/10 - It has no story, it's a lazy attempt at another Inglorious Basterds, and the only redeeming factor was the final fight scene with the dog. Lots of arbitrary barefoot scenes, masculine driving and drawn out scenes that still don't offer any form of story-progressing dialogue.

Easily the worst I've seen from Tarantino, and I'm usually a fangirl. I'm also very VERY familiar with the Manson story, whilst I've seen many wonder wtf is going on since they're NOT going in with that knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    What's wrong with masculine driving? And what does that even mean lol. How's that blog coming?
    Thanks for a useless quote that derails the thread to boot.

If you don't know what it means, perhaps get a grasp before asking why it's "bad". It being "bad" was an assumption on your part, to me it's sexy when done right. That's that. As for the "blog" question, I have no idea what you're talking about. Neither do you, I'd wager, seeing as how I don't know you.

Edit: Had to clarify for the chap unable to draw conclusions based on full sentences rather than triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    I still don't get what "masculine driving" means. And why it's a bad thing. Sounds like you have some personal insecurities.
    The only one with insecurities here, would be the guy assuming that "masculine driving" meant a negative thing in a sentence describing a lack of story-progression. Then you ignored my clearly stated opinion that it can be sexy.

Get help. /Ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by denn69 View Post
    The Irishman - wow, 3.5 hours can fly by when you are transfixed! This was a pretty intense story that just kept on going, I didn't feel that the de-aging particularly added or subtracted from the film so just went with it (it was a bit odd when they were younger but still moved like older folk and everyone had big ears!). 4/5
    Must admit, I'm excited for Tuesday when I finally get to see it. Seen so many with about the same takeaway as you, even down to the big ears on de-aged actors. XD
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-12-01 at 11:09 PM.