Grey Owl - 7/10

I could see a lot of people not enjoying this one, but first of all it's based on a true story. Secondly it has very cute baby beavers (kits) in this movie and they are just too adorable to ignore and made the movie an instant 5 for me. Yes, yes it did.

Had this whole obsession with beavers going lately due to the "full moon beaver" that happened recently. It got that nickname because beavers have a lot of activity this time of year in preparation for winter. So this was prime season for setting traps. Of course in those times people wanted them for their little pelts. The movie actually has a trapper in it.

I have a local beaver on the outskirts of where I live. So my curiosity has been piqued again with these furry little creatures. I went digging for some beaver movies and by golly I found one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Crypto (2019) - 7/10

This is, most likely, not something most people will like. But, I did. The acting is solid; a few of my favorites in there. I liked the over all story even if it was more than a little predictable and maybe a little clunky. Regardless, I liked the little story that the movie told.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trial of the Chicago 7 (8/10)

A Netflix movie, i do like political movies of this nature. Sacha Baron Cohen surprised me with his performance more so that i am used to his goofball acts of comedy, so a bit more of a serious role was not what i expected of him but the man can act. Joseph Gordon Levitt remains one of my favourite actors who appears to be at home in all markets from romcoms like 500 days of summer to action movies like Inception and now a more political court room movie. In short casting is well done on all fronts.

Not sure how accurate this is but it does show how fragile the notion of democracy was during the Vietnam War and drawing parallels to two different times. I didn't have any real knowledge of these events before this and found it entertaining and informative, while not overly dramatizing the events that took place.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Brimstone - 9/10. Unapologetically bleak and violent in its themes that, sadly, aren't all that outlandish when looking at history and women's role in it. Guy Pearce gives his best performance in my book. He's played evil characters before, but not to this level. Dakota Fanning is amazing, but I already knew that from The Alienist on Netflix.

Not for people wanting a happy-go-lucky movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

A Netflix movie, i do like political movies of this nature. Sacha Baron Cohen surprised me with his performance more so that i am used to his goofball acts of comedy, so a bit more of a serious role was not what i expected of him but the man can act. Joseph Gordon Levitt remains one of my favourite actors who appears to be at home in all markets from romcoms like 500 days of summer to action movies like Inception and now a more political court room movie. In short casting is well done on all fronts.

Not sure how accurate this is but it does show how fragile the notion of democracy was during the Vietnam War and drawing parallels to two different times. I didn't have any real knowledge of these events before this and found it entertaining and informative, while not overly dramatizing the events that took place.
    Really liked that movie. A lawyer "lawyered" it and it's apparently very accurate, most scenes in court simply going by the transcript.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

Really liked that movie. A lawyer "lawyered" it and it's apparently very accurate, most scenes in court simply going by the transcript.

Aha good to know thanks, well it didn't feel like it was overly dramatized so it came across rather believable for that era.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

In case you haven't already seen it, if you like Sascha in a serious role, check out The Spy (2019) - Solid story, a true story, and Sascha was exceptional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    In case you haven't already seen it, if you like Sascha in a serious role, check out The Spy (2019) - Solid story, a true story, and Sascha was exceptional.
    Ah yes forgot about that one, watched only half of that series and forgot about it for some reason, thanks for reminding me
    ― Anthony Hopkins

The dark water
    9/10

5+ Year Old Account
    Monsters of Man (2020), so predictable, but the animation was really good, robots looked like I'd expect them to look irl

3/10

kinda a failure when Boller, the bully military guy was the only one i was rooting for, everyone else was way more annoying..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-12-09 at 05:55 PM.

The trial of the Chicago 7 is the most over hyped film ive seen since black panthar.

Just because the events of that film is timely does not a good film make. Im sick of films needing to be an event. Why cant a movie just be a movie and be judged on its merit as an entertainment piece.

And I say this as a Aaron Sorkin fan. His writing is top notch as always but the cinematography and structure of the film was all over the place. The relationship between eddie redmaynes and sacha baron cohens character was incredibly contrived so both characters could represent an arch type of the activists of the time but both being on the same side essentially. It was just incredibly formulaic that didnt offer anything new.

The American true crime tv series of OJ simpson did the same thing but much better in my opinion and expanded on the information around the case and told us more about the key characters. This was just a "remember this thing happened and its happening again!!!"
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-12-10 at 07:55 AM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mile 22: 5/10 Mediocre action thriller. Choppy editing really wastes Iko Uwais' sweet moves. Bonus point for a line of dialogue that re-called an SNL sketch.

Never Been Kissed: 7/10 I'm a sucker for a Drew Barrymore rom-com. She's so disarmingly sweet that I don't mind the cliches and predictable plots. Josie Geller is so adorkable. Gah! I just want to hug her! But... stop trying to make 'rufus' a thing, movie. That's so not fetch.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Monster Hunter 6/10
    I got what I expected. Mindless entertainment.

Next; Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Love and Monsters: 8/10
    Pretty fun movie. The ending was a bit weird but still good.
    I liked this a lot too. It was a real surprise for me along with Fatman. Both films I had low expectations for but found them amusing and charming to varying degrees.

Richard Jewell - 7/10 - good flick, not much to say about it really. Jon Hamm is a bit out of place in this one for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hereditary - 7/10

Would have been a 6 if not for Toni's performance. I have to stop watching these 'horror' movies that just aren't for me. Maybe I just don't like Ari Aster's vision. His visuals are great, stories not so much. His characters are annoying. This one is not as offensive as Midsommar with some of the insane decisions characters make. Had the family just gone to counseling, which was very needed after what happened, everything would have worked out fine. Maybe outsider privilege but my first thought when the spirit was summoned was why it was assumed that the spirit wasn't lying - why trust it. You really don't know what you are communicating with. I stopped really caring after that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Bad Boys for Life - 5/10

Loved the first two so I was hoping it would be a bit better than I heard but, meh.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The New Mutants - 6/10
    It tried, but seemed to fail even though it should have been much better considering how long it was in production and post production.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Run - 7.7/10

Run is a thriller inspired by real life stories involving Munchausen syndrome by proxy starring thriller queen Sara Paulson. The overall is simple, no need to really break it down. Crazy overbearing mother and a child who wants out. Pacing, on point. A story like this can be allowed to cook too long, becoming dry and boring. This movie sticks to the highs without losing focus. It doesn't linger on details that are repeated in every movie. The performances are great.

Safety (Disney+) - 6.5/10

I saw this movie by mistake. Allowed the next movie to play and was about to turn it off. Most sports movies are the same. How many times can you retell Remember the Titans, Rudy, Marshall, Blindside, etc? What drew me in about this movie was its faults. It's awkward at parts because it plays just like real life football culture, still not wholly authentic but more so than stuff dressed up for Hollywood like Remember the Titans. The nailed some of the ways coaches and players behave. The protagonist is a freshman who comes from a rough background. He isn't someone particularly special (based on a true story but you could say stories as well). It basically trying to reconcile his two worlds. A lot of people don't know some of the hardships student-athletes go through, and why some people advocate that the players should receive better forms of compensation - this movie is another reason why. The performances are slightly above a Disney made for TV movie. The story is good if you like 'human' stories.

Tenet - 5/10

Oh boy......Christoper Nolan you mad genius. This movie only gets a 5 and that is for techical aspects like how it looks on screen, locations, the ways it shot as always top notch from Mr Nolan. Not for sound though, sound is a mixed bag for this movie.

But damn this movie had no heart, no coherent flow, no interesting characters. The lead is literally named "protagonist" I mean wtf.

Its an incredibly high concept film like much of Nolans work but it doesnt really offer anything else outside of that concept. And the concept itself isnt as clever as it thinks it is and is given away pretty much instantly at the start of the film. I mean theres a lot to break down here, you could watch this film dozens of times and still not fully grasp it. But man, where is the heart like in interstella. Or the interesting action set pieces like in inception. Also films of his with high concepts but at least they were fun to watch and follow. The big action set pieces in this looked like high school rehearsals because of the nature of the concept of time manipulation