Ready Player One 7.5/10.

Enjoyable movie with several very cool scene, especially a particularly creative one midway through. I do think the real-world plot lacked a bit of substance and believability, and the movie's message is kind of lessened by what the characters actually do in it.

Also it's insanely reference overdosed and goes out of its way to trigger nostalgia. Like, the trailers don't even show half of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cloverfield Paradox 0/10
    So bad I could not finish it. Just a pastiche of better scifi thrillers like Event Horizon and The Thing. The characters were not relatable or really worth getting invested in. They made the macguffin of the particle accelerator totally boring and forgettable. JJ Abrams and his coterie of writers needs to just stop it with all his "mystery boxes". Neat that his fanboys can look up all the minutia and "what ifs" on the internet for hours. But for a self contained movie, they're just distracting dead ends. C3PO can take his red arm and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. It does jack shit for the plot.

American Gods 10/10
    I was dreading this since I just did not like the book. But Brian Fuller elevated the fuck out of it. Great actors that just popped of the screen. Ricky Whittle made Shadow much more compelling and nuanced. Also spending more time with his wife and the historical vignettes greatly improved the pacing of the story.
    The production's cinematography and music was drop dead gorgeous. Makes me miss Hannibal.

Pathfinder 2/10
    Karl Urban and Moon Bloodgood are usually fun to watch. But this retelling of Dances With Wolves ca. 800 AD is just bleh. With marginally worse fight choreography than Highlander. No wonder Kurgan was mad.

Jessica Jones Season 2 9/10
    Top three Netflix Marvel for me. The deep exploration of the emotional cost of having powers, or a relationship with a powered person felt refreshing. Carrie Anne Moss just slayed it. Most compelling antagonist just shy of Killgrave and Kingpin.
    Also the pacing felt much improved over the last 3-4 Defenders series.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

A difficult film to swallow, I'm sure most people here will find it "slow" and "boring" (I hate those words so much)
    Pacific Rim : Uprising - 2/10

The movie would have been fine if there was more action, there was too many attempts at acting which was very boring. John Boyega wasnt like Jason Statham at all, I wanted him for the role because he has a better action face. John was too slow. Same with Scott Eastwood. Very slow and boring actors. Like the movie.

Enemy at the Gates - 6.5/10

In my thirst for war films I thought I would revisit one of my favorite films when I was a 12 year old boy. I can see why 12 year old me enjoyed this film, the action sequences are pretty great, and the sniper duels are among the best seen on film. But really there is a really unneeded love triangle. Some of the action falls flat compared to the higher standards today. You know like the typical head shot where the guy getting shot is clearly acting and the gun shot effect is super slow/exaggerated with their fall. I enjoyed the russian music though, russia is a great backdrop for films

10+ Year Old Account
    The Post - 8/10. Really good movie and performances.
    Would love him to do a followup on the Watergate scandal

Atomic Blonde - 6/10:

A spy romp that starts off a bit dumb / awkward (to the point that we almost turned it off), but then picks up the pace and storyline rather nicely as it progresses. Still, the movie simply tries too hard, from the faux late 80's nostalgia to bad guys who are hilariously impervious to knife wounds.

Not bad, not great. Not sure if being aware of the graphic novel makes the flick better or worse. Watch if you're bored I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    [B]

Jessica Jones Season 2 9/10
    Top three Netflix Marvel for me. The deep exploration of the emotional cost of having powers, or a relationship with a powered person felt refreshing. Carrie Anne Moss just slayed it. Most compelling antagonist just shy of Killgrave and Kingpin.
    Also the pacing felt much improved over the last 3-4 Defenders series.
    so it's worth watching then?

I watched the first 2 episodes and was thoroughly disappointed so I just stopped.

I loved s1 but just couldnt get into s2 at all. the horribly tacky voiceovers, the horrible performance by Rachael Taylor, the plot didnt grab me at all. dont know it all put me off.

Ready Player One

I rate it a solid 8/10.

Pacific Rim 2 - 5/10

The robot vs monster fight scenes were pretty good. Story's pretty thin but good enough. Almost didn't realize John Boyega. Kinda used to him turning a blander performance I guess but he was pretty good here. Yes, I'm disappointed that Rinko Kikuchi was killed early and there was no Ron Perlman in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Quiet Place - 8/10

Loved the concept. Great performances from the whole cast. I think my shoulders were tight the entire film.

They got Black Panther to be on Saturday Night Live Black Jeopardy. (I happened to use an incognito window of youtube and saw it on trending. )

I feel like Black Panther is super popular. I rated it highly and only really saw it because you guys thought it was so good. I'd love to know numbers, but I don't feel like Googling it.

The beginning/middle of the video sucked, but the end was OMEGALUL. Is he even allowed to do that? Goddamn. Black Jeopardy is official MCU canon now.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I posted the video in this thread because it's another case where a movie is so popular, it becomes a pop culture phenomena where everyone expects you to know it. Like I always say about Frozen.

Black Panther was a really good movie, but everyone loved it enough where the actor does shit like this video and the NBA Slam Dunk contest, and everyone just recognizes it. Try to do that with the Superman actor and see how it works out.

Hostiles - 8/10

This movie was a rather interesting one in terms of tone, it has short hectic moments of chaos blended in among a rather slow methodical slow burning western.

The internal struggles of the main characters ethos and relationships with native americans stained from years of conflict are the main focus and the events of the film force a rather tasteful and non tacky/cliche arc from christian bale to examine his prejudices

The ending of the film heightened it to above average film, it was quite a poetic and beautiful ending I felt. Rare and difficult to do these days.

The Death of Stalin - 9/10

A pitch-black comedy movie about how deranged a world surrounding a cult of personality can become. And how deranged the people in it have to be to stick around. This movie depicts the events following Stalin dying, with powerhungry ministers trying their darndest to do the one thing that really matter when you are in charge of governing a superpower that just lost its glorious leader: staying alive.

The movie is hardly factual, and doesn't even try to hide that it's distorting what actually happened for the sake of a carricaturized story. Events are reshuffled, invented and emphasized. If you want a history lesson, this movie is not the right starting point. BUT - the mentality it shows is extremely on-point, and gives a brilliant insight into just how crazy the world can become under the wrong leadership. Stalin's great purges really took place, and the terror in his reign was real. The events depicted are rooted in reality, even if they did not happen for exactly as shown. The movie inspired me to read up on the actual history afterwards. And as such it wasn't a bad starting point for history after all, maybe.

But most importantly, this is a movie to uncomfortably entertain first, afterthought second. Anyone finding the antics of Cave Johnson from Portal 2 entertaining will find this movie to be worthwhile for all the same reasons. I really have to give it to the actors for going all out here. Rupert Friend's Stalin is just as dangerous as you expect him to have been in real life. Jeffrey Tambor makes an unforgettable impression as Stalin's successor, Malenkov, undergoing a transformation that is worth the movie ticket alone. Jason Isaacs portrayal as General Zhukov steals every scene he appears in. And Michael Palin of Monty Python fame makes everything you want out of "the grand old man" Molotov. Still, it is the two main characters Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev and Simon Russell Beale as Beria that really lifts the show to the grade I want to give it. Both are desperate men in their own way, and both actors really drive that point home making the movie as good as it is.

If you are remotely interested in politics, this movie is a must-see.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

A Quiet Place (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

A very well done thriller/horror. Reminds me a bit of 10 Cloverfield Lane, in some ways. I'm not a big fan of most horror stuff, but the concept of a world where you have to be extremely quiet is a cool concept that is executed really well here. I liked the fact that the characters were mostly pretty clever. The use of sound was awesome and really makes it a "theater-movie", it made even the smallest sounds feel intense and I found myself being careful with not chewing my popcorn too loudly. It is not a big story with a lot to say, it is merely an engaging, well crafted piece of audiovisual storytelling.

I think I'm gonna go to the movie theater to see A Quiet Place within the next seven days. I was ambivalent but Arrowstormen's rating pushed it over the top.

That Truth or Dare horror movie looks like a typical "omg dumb kids play dumb games" horror movie, but it looks like it has good production quality. I kinda wanna wait to stream it at home though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    A Quiet Place (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

A very well done thriller/horror. Reminds me a bit of 10 Cloverfield Lane, in some ways. I'm not a big fan of most horror stuff, but the concept of a world where you have to be extremely quiet is a cool concept that is executed really well here. I liked the fact that the characters were mostly pretty clever. The use of sound was awesome and really makes it a "theater-movie", it made even the smallest sounds feel intense and I found myself being careful with not chewing my popcorn too loudly. It is not a big story with a lot to say, it is merely an engaging, well crafted piece of audiovisual storytelling.

I agree with almost all that. It was a pretty solid movie except one part to me but it was an important part.

The stair nail..... Growing up with stairs very similar where there is a huge chance for nail pop (and crazy enough, never in the direction the movie had it) When she caught the bag on it but never checked to fix the nail. Huge moment of bad writing for me on top of nails are never driver that direction on stairs.

Have her twist her ankle on the stairs. Have her stub her toe while having a contraction but the nail thing was bothersome to me.

Other than that, very solid movie.
    Last edited by quras; 2018-04-13 at 12:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Alien (1979) - 10/10

Insomnia leads to watching old favorites. I haven't watched this movie in at least a decade, probably closer to two.

The production value was great. The acting is top notch. The cast of characters are entertaining. The story is fantastic: I love how the story develops.

The only issue I ever really had, and still have, with the movie is how quickly the alien develops to full size. Otherwise, unlike several of the other movies in the series, I can't find fault in anything else in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Alien (1979) - 10/10

Insomnia leads to watching old favorites. I haven't watched this movie in at least a decade, probably closer to two.

The production value was great. The acting is top notch. The cast of characters are entertaining. The story is fantastic: I love how the story develops.

The only issue I ever really had, and still have, with the movie is how quickly the alien develops to full size. Otherwise, unlike several of the other movies in the series, I can't find fault in anything else in the story.
    When you rewatch the first alien, you realise quickly how much they achieved with just clever camera angles and shots and never really revealing too much. Movie is like creep cam 2000

Titan 6/10 - It was okay.

Ready Player one 7.75/10 - I enjoyed it even though it was a rather huge departure from the book.

A Quiet Place 9.5/10 - This was a really well done and enjoyable movie. I dinged it half a point only because it made me feel uncomfortable trying to eat popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Alien (1979) - 10/10

Give the Directors cut a watch, it has some deleted scenes re-added to the film and still manages to be 8 minutes shorter than the original cut.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Brigsby Bear - 7/10

quite the awkward movie yet simple sweet and genuine in its delivery. felt good at 90min maybe could have been serviced by another 15-20min