7+ Year Old Account
    Aliens (1986) - 8/10

Great production. Solid acting. Great story except for the whole mother/newt bullshit. I'd give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the "motherhood" aspect of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Aliens (1986) - 8/10

Great production. Solid acting. Great story except for the whole mother/newt bullshit. I'd give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the "motherhood" aspect of the story.
    One of the better parts of the movie tbh.

You Were Never Really Here 9/10

A great exploration and inversion of the vigilante action film. Nuanced in ways I did not expect to be so affecting. Great performances and fantastic cinematography.

Rampage 6/10

Pretty fun 'popcorn' flick. I dug the Rock's performance a lot- he's pretty darn good at comedy. The CGI is great too. Kudos to the filmmakers in actually giving a somewhat accurate downtown Chicago destruction sequence.

Blockers 2/10

Funny in a few scenes but overall tries to hard. Far more groans than chuckles.

Blumhouse's Truth or Dare 5/10

Somewhat disappointing from Blumhouse. Borrowed a lot of elements from better horror films and failed to do any of them elements better. The acting is pretty decent actually- which was surprising.

I'm watching the maze runner movies now and I have made it through almost all of the second one. Just horrible. The story is one long chain of dumb plot devices and cliches, the acting is as good as it can be, and the visuals and art direction are meh. It's not the black guy that dies first it's the arab guy, the zombies are not sluggish they actually run fast! They don't groan the pitch is high! Bonus points for Littlefinger screaming "oh my fucking god" though. I am always amazed that so many millions get thrown at essentially nothing in the film industry. I get it is a business, but I see no reason to suck any and all art out of it.

2/10

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    One of the better parts of the movie tbh.
    You forgot the /sarcasm tag after your comment.

not sure if this goes here or in another post, but I watched the Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling, 2 part documentary by Judd Apatow. I was little young to catch on with Garry Shandling in his prime or when he was doing the Garry Shandling show. but I did catch an episode here and there and see some of his other material. The show was a good dissection of his life and his story and was touching and entertaining and made with a lot of love. hard to rate a documentary but ill give it a 9/10.

Wildling - 5/10

Original premise so props for taking a risk. However no one is buying liv tyler as a sheriff, shes more soft spoken than ben affleck trying to hit on a 21 year old. And the story is an interesting one but doesnt really go anywhere or explore the themes in an interesting way.

17 Again 7.5/10

A well known story shown in different ways over the years - Big, 13 going on 30 etc. The typical "do over" and age swap. However as silly as the premise is, I actually found this movie funny, and making me laugh. Which hasnt happened for awhile. Its silly and cliche, but I cant lie, its simplicity and charm is more than enough when you're in the mood to watch some shit.

Children of Men - 9/10

Fantastic sci fi. Clever, well acted, realistic. If you like futuristic films this is a must watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm thinking about going to the movie theaters to see Black Panther. But the shows get sold out (except the front row)...why the fuck are people still watching this movie so avidly over a month after it's release? !I'd have to pay $15/year to reserve tickets online at AMC theaters, which is a fucking scam. (There's a $1.75 convenience fee per ticket if you don't pay the yearly thing.)

*rubs chin* I really want to tear this movie down like the h8r I am, but I hate going to the theater...If I could just show up and get any seats I'd be fine, but committing to a yearly fee just to reserve the seats online is...overrated.
    I ended up paying the $15 for the membership. It waives the $1.75 convenience fee (each) for buying tickets online.

But actually, it turns out that AMC has a "$5 ticket Tuesday" deal where tickets cost $5 all day. (Or $9 for 3D movies.) That's a pretttttttttttttttty good deal. I might go to see more movies at the theater now...(Normally, it costs like...$10.99 or $13.99 depending on the movie popularity. Matten-A (movies before noon) cost $6.99. So by comparison, it's much cheaper.)

I mean, I hate going to the movie theater but...the streaming sites I use take so long and are pretty low quality...(It's not like I even have much time to watch movies on second monitor while doing work. I either have the free time to watch a movie, or I don't.)

Just saying, since I complained before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to the movie theater last night to see A Quiet Place.

As a movie, the story was very by-the-books. It was nothing that new, and it was predictable. (It was told well though. It's not like it was boring.)

As a horror movie, the uhhh....It wasn't that new of a concept.

As for the sound quality, that was pretty new, and it was done extremely well. No other movie I know of mastered audio so impactfully. That said...it was used for a lot of jump scares, even though it was a bit obvious what was going to happen.

I'll give it a 4.25/10. I think the content itself is like a 1.75/10 only, but it gets a bonus 2.5 points for the theme of sound and how well it was done. But it certainly wasn't like, my favorite movie. I got lucky in that the theater I was in only had like 8 other people in it. To be honest, watching it at home, in front of desktop, with headphones on, might have actually made it more intense. MAYBE, the theater had the volume on really high.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually check other people's ratings in this thread after watching a movie. since only three other people saw the movie, I'll make some responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The use of sound was awesome and really makes it a "theater-movie"
    I disagree. I think headphones would make it scarier. Although the theater I was in did a sick job of surround-sounding the audio and making it loud.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I agree with almost all that. It was a pretty solid movie except one part to me but it was an important part.

The stair nail..... Growing up with stairs very similar where there is a huge chance for nail pop (and crazy enough, never in the direction the movie had it) When she caught the bag on it but never checked to fix the nail. Huge moment of bad writing for me on top of nails are never driver that direction on stairs.

Have her twist her ankle on the stairs. Have her stub her toe while having a contraction but the nail thing was bothersome to me.
    I hear what you're saying (get it), but it didn't bother me that much. I was actually worried that the bag was going to burst open and make a lot of noise. You're right, but idk if that's a normal reaction. I'm not sure even I would have acted that way in real life, let alone characters in a horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

I disagree. I think headphones would make it scarier. Although the theater I was in did a sick job of surround-sounding the audio and making it loud.
    I can't see myself ever voluntarily using headphones when watching a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I can't see myself ever voluntarily using headphones when watching a movie.
    Headphones + Foreign substances + good film = immersive.

Good time - 8/10

A rather fun fast paced adrenaline ride all film. The directors did a great job here and even pattinson puts in a great shift with teh acting.

Its like a theme park ride of a movie but with quality.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-04-18 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Alien (1979) - 10/10

Insomnia leads to watching old favorites. I haven't watched this movie in at least a decade, probably closer to two.

The production value was great. The acting is top notch. The cast of characters are entertaining. The story is fantastic: I love how the story develops.

The only issue I ever really had, and still have, with the movie is how quickly the alien develops to full size. Otherwise, unlike several of the other movies in the series, I can't find fault in anything else in the story.
    They sort of try to explain in the other movies (Covenant especially) why they can develop so quickly. Not sure if you'd seen them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I discovered Crypt TV today, so I been watching a lot of those short films... as if I didn't struggle to sleep enough lol. The make up effects are pretty awesome though :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Children of Men - 9/10

Fantastic sci fi. Clever, well acted, realistic. If you like futuristic films this is a must watch.
    I watched that so long ago. The only thing I remember is it was really good and I'd recommend it, but I never want to watch it again.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 8/10
    Really enjoyed this, nice moral to the story as well elevates it above a typical romp and Karen Gillen, yum.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pacific Rim Uprising.

What an awful experience. I enjoyed the first one but this just went completely off the rails even when I knew I had to turn my brain off in order to experience it. Cliches out the ass, terrible writing, terrible actors and enough slow motion sequences to give 300 a run for its money.

Still somehow better than Transformers/10
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Pacific Rim Uprising.

What an awful experience. I enjoyed the first one but this just went completely off the rails even when I knew I had to turn my brain off in order to experience it. Cliches out the ass, terrible writing, terrible actors and enough slow motion sequences to give 300 a run for its money.

Still somehow better than Transformers/10
    John Boyega is hollywoods latest Jai Courtney. They'll stick him in every major franchise until you enjoy him or at least think you do damn it! If only you could swap their self assured smugness for acting ability then it probably wouldnt be so annoying.

7+ Year Old Account
    Turbo Kid (2015) - 8/10

Been aware of the film since it came out but never got around to watching it. On a whim, I did so last night. Very entertaining. A much better production than I was expecting. Laughed out loud at several of the fight scenes, absolutely great stuff in my opinion. Glad I finally took the time to watch it.

Atomic Blonde 7.5 / 10
    Really enjoyed this, far more than I was expecting from reading the general feedback.

I have my Avengers tickets reserved for next week. (I've had them for weeks now.)

Please do remember, before you guys rate Avengers, that you've had 11+ years of Marvel experience, and probably like 8-16 movies that are considered prequels to this movie.

Don't be an old person that rates a movie based on your life experience, rather than the content of the movie itself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Free State of Jones 7/10

An interesting movie about the American Civil War. Matthew McConaughey was brilliant like always. One of my favourite actors. Maybe even the favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.