Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Yo, any block buster movies coming out soon? I feel like nothing good has come out for months and I've had no reason to go to the movie theaters. I'm not getting my value out of my $15/year membership.
    The big one coming in a couple of weeks is Alita; Battle Angel.

Yo, any block buster movies coming out soon? I feel like nothing good has come out for months and I've had no reason to go to the movie theaters. I'm not getting my value out of my $15/year membership.
    Alita

10 char

Warrior - 7/10

The MMA bit was very far fetched but the story behind was played out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The big one coming in a couple of weeks is Alita; Battle Angel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Alita
    Ya I saw the commercial for that from the previews when seeing some other movie and wasn't impressed. I'm personally biased against movies where teenage kids are supposed to show me that they have feelings. Combine that with some overused robot/cyborg troupe or w/e it is they're trying to do, and I don't think it's going to have a compelling story.

Ya I saw the commercial for that from the previews when seeing some other movie and wasn't impressed. I'm personally biased against movies where teenage kids are supposed to show me that they have feelings.
    I hope that's not where the movie is going, because it really wasn't what the manga was about. Not even about cyborgs showing they have feelings. Also I don't think she was a teenager, canonically, even accounting for the time she spent "inactive" (I mean she's technically two hundred years old or so at least). More like mid-20s.

Aaaanyway.

Last movie I watched was Solo, when it came out on Netflix. Do not regret not seeing it in the theater. 5/10.

Ya I saw the commercial for that from the previews when seeing some other movie and wasn't impressed. I'm personally biased against movies where teenage kids are supposed to show me that they have feelings. Combine that with some overused robot/cyborg troupe or w/e it is they're trying to do, and I don't think it's going to have a compelling story.
    Well, 'Alita: Battle Angel' First Reactions Surface Online

Taking to Twitter, a slew of reporters shared their thoughts on Alita: Battle Angel after a screening was made for critics. Hector Navarro, an LA-based writer, was one of the first to share their praise for the film and its 3D aesthetic.

“Just saw Alita: Battle Angel and it kinda blew my mind. Can’t wait for everyone to see it! More anime/manga adaptations like this please,” the writer admitted.

Navarro’s sentiments were followed by Chris Sylvia, a writer for Regal Movies. “Alita kicks serious hardcore butt,” he shared online. “Must be experienced in 3D.”

For fans wanting a more in-depth reaction, Paul Shirey came in clutch with his take. The editor-in-chief at JoBlo shared a thread giving his impression, and the writer admits he left the screening pleasantly surprised with what he saw.

“Alita: Battle Angel is a wild, visceral ride that offers kick-ass action, an immersive virtual world and a surprising amount of emotional weight. Everything rests on you loving the character of Alita and she is fully fleshed out; strong, flawed, endearing and rebellious,” Shirey wrote.

“There are a lot of surprises in #AlitaBattleAngel with some dark turns and violent bursts of action, as well as characters that break free of being humdrum digital beings and emerge as fully rounded individuals. Spectacle is aplenty, but it’s not without investment,” he continued.

“I do have a few issues with #AlitaBattleAngel which ultimately end up being a desire to see more, which is a good problem to have. More later.”

----------------------

Seems promising to me.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 8/10

Another solid Star Wars story film IMHO. Really enjoyed it, was expecting a dumpster fire from what I had read online.

A Star is Born, and Exit Through the Gift Shop

Vice - 6/10

Sadly this movie was average. No where near as efficient as the big short or anchorman who had the same director.

Great performance from Bale but thats all it is, an acting show piece. The information told was interesting enough but the jokes fell flat and it didnt have a flow or cohesion to it at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who thinks Alita looks creepy and is a prime example of uncanny valley animation?
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

15+ Year Old Account
    The Twilight Saga 8/10

Finally watched it and the hopeless romantic living somewhere inside me was pleased. Enjoyed it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Velvet Buzzsaw - 8/10

The trailer really did spoil nearly the entire movie (nearly all the deaths and ending), and any surprises were easily guessed and handed to you via foreshadowing. I can't let that factor into my rating though.

This is the trailer I'm talking about, I really recommend you don't watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAR-lK43YU
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Velvet Buzzsaw - 8/10

The trailer really did spoil nearly the entire movie (nearly all the deaths and ending), and any surprises were easily guessed and handed to you via foreshadowing. I can't let that factor into my rating though.
    good to know, the only thing I remember about the trailer is Jake freaking out "something very weird is happening?!?!?!"

Watched Birdbox because Netflix wouldn't stop spamming me about it

Would rate it 3/10, and that's only for the premise. It was incredibly shoddily done, the script was infuriatingly stupid. These people just lost their wives, husbands, parents, and siblings, and two days later, all they can think of are getting drunk or having sex. There was no gravitas, no weight of the 'end of the world'. It felt more like a bunch of people stuck in a delayed flight

A Quiet Place had a similar premise and was so much superior. You could feel that this was truly the end of the world

Caught the early showing of how to train your dragon 3 with my wife whos a big fan. Would give it a solid 7 or 7.5.

The animation anymore is getting really well done. Story felt a little similar to the last one but was fine. Would say it was better then 2. The ending was a good emotional note that some more serious movies fail to achieve.

Birdbox - 7/10. The movie does suffer from a lack of character development (as pointed out by kabsniper20202, the lack of grief / panic is a bit odd), but the premise is rather excellent. It's sort of like TWD meets The Village sort of, but better. Worth watching.

Sisters Brothers: 8/10
    Ballad of Buster Scruggs: 8/10
    Spiderverse: 8/10
    Under the Silver Lake: 7/10
    Bad Times at El Royale: 7/10
    Reign of the Supermen: 6.5/10
    Aquaman: 5/10
    Glass: 3/10
    Escape Room: 2/10
    Bumblebee Transformers movie: 2/10
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Kissing booth... 0/10

watching this film made me depressed for an entire day...i had to spend hours rethinking my life choices..it was sickening..

Seriously..if anyone is on the verge of suicide and needs an extra push this will shove you right off the deep end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Aloha 2/10

I can't understand how they can make such a pointless and shitty movie with that cast.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Velvet Buzzsaw: 4/10

Saw a few clips, thought it might be a trippy, surreal horror movie, but it's basically just Final Destination with a modern art theme. The cinematography and performances are good but the plot is shallow as can be and the kills are all fucking lame and had me rolling my eyes. "We sold a crazy dead man's art, and now the modern art is trying to kill us." It could have been so much more interesting.