5+ Year Old Account
    Matrix Resurrections

0/10

terrible

The Tender Bar - 7.5/10. Very well done coming of age story, Affleck does a fantastic job in this all the way through. The pacing of the movie starts to fizz a bit in the second half in a way that's hard to explain. I wish they had either wrapped things up with how he did moving to NY, or spent more time with him as a kid / teenager. .

Worth your time for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zwartboek: 8/10

A bit too high paced for my tastes, but Carice is a goddess and the plot twists/conclusion was good.

Spoorloos: 8/10

Other movies about sociopaths should take notes, this was absolutely skin-crawling. I had to deduct points because it made me feel terrible, which is a good thing in its own right, because that means the movie fulfilled its purpose. I fucking hated that purpose though. Terrific film, if I was mentally stronger this would have been a 10/10.

The Good Night - 5/10 : I didn't really love this one, it comes across as quite undeveloped, and gets really dumb in spots ,primarily when the main character meets his dream girl and starts giving her shit about what she's wearing . The score would be lower if it weren't for the very last scene.

Watch if you're bored I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Operation Finale 7/10
    Munich 8/10
    The Forgotten Battle 7.5/10
    Eternals 6.5/10
    -K

Try Harder! 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Operation Finale 7/10
    Munich 8/10
    The Forgotten Battle 7.5/10
    Eternals 6.5/10
    Munich is such an underrated film. So well-made and a great cast.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Encanto, I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. The songs were catchy, the animation was great, the characters were enjoyable and had depth to them, and the world was fairly simple but fun. A very solid family film. It was a little too short though, and they didn't explore the village or the world outside at all.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2022-02-07 at 06:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Munich is such an underrated film. So well-made and a great cast.
    Indeed, loved the cinematography. Also watched The Forgotten Battle the other day which was nice, not as suspensful as Munich tho.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    ghostbusters AL - 9/10 loved it from start to finish
    Cheers for the recommendation loved it. Paul Rudd is a G, goals for my fatherhood in 3901239 years.
    -K

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) 6/10

I loved it! Terrific final girl, some really clever ways of getting Leatherface kills, and good tension sequences. Sarah Yarkin is great. Elsie Fisher is, as expected, utterly phenomenal. What an actress. Editing was not as tight as it could have been but I dug the high contrast cinematograph; it was subtle enough to nod to the 1970s without going full X or Mandy.

Honestly would have liked a higher body count and more gruesome kills but overall it was a fun ride without disgracing Hooper's classic. FANTASTIC ENDING.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022, 4/10

The gore was fun and quite comical at times with some laugh-out-loud moments. All of the characters were annoying and unsympathetic, so you end up rooting for Leatherface. Ruined by a bad script.

The Power Of The Dog 9/10

Virtually everything about this is extremely well done. Slow burn, tense, and a satisfying ending. Cumberbatch can't quite pull off a convincing American accent but it's passable enough not to be an issue.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

2/10

Jfc this film throws in every known horror cliché to the point of infuriating you with its incompetent characters, with silly social commentaries thrown into the mix.

It's like those mobile game ADs with the intentionally stupid player playing it getting things wrong.

That's how annoying the film is.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2022-02-19 at 09:03 PM.

Marry Me, was kind of fun SO is a big fan of the webcomic so she was more into it than me but we had peacock for the Olympics so watched it on Vday was a 6.5/10 for me but she really liked it so was probably an 8 or 9 if you like the webcomic.

Green Knight. Solid 8/10, need to watch it on a bigger screen and I’m sure it’d bump up to a 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2/10

Calling yourself the true sequel to the original but being actually worse then some of the previous sequels is quite an achievement. Not a single moment they come close to that feeling Tobe Hooper's film gives you. Annoying characters.
    The only scene worth mentioning is when the enter the orphanage and he just walks by Leatherface sitting in a corner, without even noticing him.
    It was almost like they wrote a script with a checklist with every single horror movie cliché. Avoid this thing like the plague.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-02-20 at 06:20 AM.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) - 5/10

Very in-the-middle movie from the TCM franchise, we've had way better but also way worse. I didn't find this movie that cringe compared to the last 3 but it sure has its flaws. All the characters are unlikeable and I ended up rooting only for Leatherface. The kills are actually for most part solid with some gruesome gore, only wish they didn't use that much CGI for the blood. The characters are downright stupid and annoying, there was one moment where they were with at least 10 people just waiting to get slaughtered instead of trying to fight back Leatherface.... because otherwise how could you escape? Then again these were dumbass teens who were glue'd to their phone so w/e. They also brought back the protagonist from the first movie and insultingly underutilised her character.

The best TCM movies are still the first 2 from Tobe Hooper and the 2003 remake, the rest just aren't worth it.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2022-02-20 at 07:35 PM.

Bigbug - 8/10

Jean-Pierre Jeunet is rilly good at making movies.

Watched the Gamera Heisei trilogy last night. Overall good special effects, meh music.

Gamera 1: Guardian of the Universe - 6/10 (fine)

Probably has the most likeable cast of the trilogy but that's not saying much. The movie is slow, though. There is a hamfisted environmentalist message shoved in there where a character literally says "if we pollute the earth, we're evil!".

Gamera 2: Advent of Legion - 7/10

Has better pacing than the last movie. The cast of characters is almost entirely made up of soldiers and lacks the variety of perspectives like in the first film, but the soldiers were okay. They don't come across as utter morons like in the Heisei era Godzilla movies. The monster is also a little more unique than usual, as it is actually a swarm of small bugs (about the size of a car), and they don't straight up go around eating people. Instead, they're drawn to eating silicon, so people incidentally get eaten by the bug monsters if they're carrying pocket radios or pagers or something. Also another hamfisted enviornmentalist message shoved in there. "Gamera protects the earth. If we pollute the earth, we might become his enemy!". Overall the best of the trilogy.

Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris - 6/10 (fine)

Apparently this is a critically acclaimed movie. I found it to be grossly overrated.

Probably the best part of the movie is the first half. The protagonist, Ayana, lost her parents when Gamera was accidentally shoved onto their house during his battle with the monster of the first movie. Ayana then develops a seething hatred for Gamera, and moves with her little brother to live with her extended family in the boonies. She and her brother and bullied by the girls at school. Then Ayana enters a cave and finds an alien egg. She finds out that the egg is prophesized to destroy Gamera and must never be hatched. Naturally she runs back to the cave and hatches it, names it Iris, raises it, and makes love to it. Then the monster goes around killing everyone who was mean to her before proceeding to wipe out cities as Ayana stands on a rooftop encouraging Iris.

It's a Japanese story with a girl and a tentacle monster. I think we all know where this is going.

Otherwise, the rest of the movie was meh. The pacing is abysmally slow, especially in the second half, and Gamera only shows up in 2 scenes for a grand total of about 5 minutes of screentime. The movie instead spends most of its screentime following the boring girls. I also disliked how Gamera was depicted as being more evil in this movie. Yes Gamera did kill bystanders in the first film but he didn't do so with reckless abandon, and I don't think he killed anyone in the second film, so seeing him indiscriminately blast cities felt out of character. There is also a subplot about this undersecretary who apparently wants Gamera to lose to the monster and thinks Gamera is an evil spirit, and it's not explained what her motivations where or how she got her info (the first film establishes that Gamera was created 12,000 years ago... so that woman is descended from a bloodline that has passed down info on Gamera for 12 millennia?). There is also another man who suddenly shows up and has way too much knowledge of Gamera. The climax feels nonsensical. Ayana spent the second half of the movie wanting to be absorbed by Iris, and when she finally is absorbed, suddenly decides that he is evil for killing people (when she had no qualms about him going on a rampage for the past week) and wants out.

5+ Year Old Account
    They don't make movies like this anymore... 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    They don't make movies like this anymore... 10/10

I remember buying the soundtrack for this after I read about it in the Tom Clancy book called, "Red Storm Rising." A great book about a fictional world war 3 with the soviet union. Two characters in the CIA were tracking soviet television broadcasts. This movie was being shown on the soviet tv station to get the populace worked up.