Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machior View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster... but I felt this topic interesting enough to give some input for once
    - The Deathgate Cycle by Weiss & Hickman Another series of books, 7 in total, about a world shattered into 4 worlds based on the 4 basic elements by a race of half-godlike wizards hundreds of years ago. The series focus mainly on the character Haplo who is a descendant of another race of wizards who were the opponents of the ones who shattered the world. The first half of the series focuses mostly on his exploration of the 4 worlds and their own intricate societies and later on it turns into a battle between good and evil that will determine the fate of all 4 of the separate worlds.
    Agreed these were some of the ones i was going to mention i need to read the rest before i recommend/agree with any others.

---------- Post added 2010-12-16 at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    Haha, remember those Never got to read the end actually : /
    You didn't miss much trust me was a real cliffhanger.

---------- Post added 2010-12-16 at 02:00 AM ----------

Okay now that i've read the raming posts here goes and will probably be incomplete.

The enchanted forest books(i don't even know if this quartet has an official name) it starts with Dealing With dragons can't remeber the author but very funnny fantasy series.

The Sovereign Stone Trilogy by margaret weiss and tracy hickman

I don't think this one has a name but it's a series by an author named gordon R. dickson about a man teleported back to the middle ages wella fantasy version wh can turn intoa dragon. The first one is called The Dragon and The George

The Dragon Riders of Pern series. I'm gonna be frank you all must be NUTS not to mention this one.

That's all i can think of for now and to be frank i'm not including graphic novels/manga on purpose if i included em this list would be FAR to long.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2010-12-16 at 02:00 AM.

Deleted
    The Divine Comedy, I read the first and second part, act or w/e u call it, and started the third. (first: Inferno, second: purgatorio, third: paradiso) (sorry if i made some errors in there).

Also have to agree with Stephen King. I liked a lot of his books (Dark Tower serie the most) but then again, some aren't that good.

For Medical thrillers:
    I quite liked Tess Gerittsen, and Robin Cook is nice to, especially if u follow the books in chronological order. (for both of these)

10+ Year Old Account
    1984. Very appealing

10+ Year Old Account
    first off epic /love for having Dark Tower as the first series on your list EPIC series easily in my top three, if not number 1 fantasy series of all time, I cannot WAIT for the movie/TV series that's currently in the works.

then echoing many before me:

Sword of Truth: Truely epic, just a shame the TV show was unadulterated shite, and was cancelled after butchering the second book, thank god and good riddance, because this outstand series deserved SO much better, amazing characters, amazing story and a gripping arc that will take you from the first page of the first book to the last page of the last book and leave you hungry for more. This has become the benchmark I measure all fantasy against, and most come away wanting

A Song of Ice and Fire: just...WOW, there's only one reason not to read these books, and that's the VERY real chance that the author may die before finishing them :S (or do an RJ as it now must be known) worth the read none the less as they're simple fantastic and the upcoming HBO drama based of the first book looks to be outstanding too (described by one of the actors as 'The Sopranos set in Middle Earth, who can resist?)

Farseer Trilogy et al: Robin hobb is infact an incredibly annoying author her style isn't amazing, her characters not likeable, her storylines have been read before.... but there's just....something about her that has made me read everything she's ever written... but of all of them I would recommend the Trilogy trilogy :P known singularly as the Farseer Trilogy, the Liveship Traders and the Tawny Man trilogy, an excellent trilogy of trilogies, all based in the same world VERY good reading

the Belgariad and the Malorean et al: Old School fantasy at it's BEST, the good guys are very very good, the bad guys are very very bad, nothing goes wrong and everyone lives happily ever after, the very first fantasy series I read back when I was a lil kiddlet, and although I've read better since (MUCH better) I still recommend these to everyone whose looking for a little light reading.

Malazan book of the Fallen: EPIC series, just started book 9 of 10 about a two days ago and I'm already about 25% through(this is a book of 1k+ pages), if you can get past some shakey early books ( 1 is good, 2 is TERRIBLE three is average and 4 is acceptable) they REALLY pick up from ~book 5 and by the time you hit 6+ you know you're into something GOOD

Harry Potter : Brilliant series, loved every book, HATED every movie (cept Goblet of Fire, that one was okay) if for no other reason you have to love them, because they got a whole generation of kids into reading again.

His Dark Materials: as far as 'Childrens' fantasy goes (and I use this term VERY lightly, these 'kids' books are rather more adult than you'd think) these books are superior to Harry Potter in every way except number, a truely great series from a truely great author, I just wish there was more, the ending of book three brings tears to my eyes every time (and I'm a 25y.o. dude) I just wish the movie hadn't been such a clusterfuck...

Neuromancer et al: not a true trilogy, but three loosely connected books, Neuromancer, Count Zero and Monalisa Overdrive (BEST book name ever ) are Cyberpunk Sci Fi at it's absolute finest, William Gibson is quite simply a legend

Snow Crash: the only book that could potentially knock Neuromancer from it's perch I mean come on, how can you not love a series where the main character is called Hiro Protagonist self described 'Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest swordfighter in the world'?

Name of the Wind: I actually really hate this author, because to write a book THIS good, and then not have a sequal ready for me to read RIGHT STAT NOW, is a fucking crime against literature, serously, this is a big book, and I burnt through it in a matter of days, because I simple could NOT put it down.

Windup Bird Chronicle: Haruki Murukami is a strange, strange man and although he's written many many fine books, for me the finest is Windup bird chronicle, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Shantaram: reading this you wont believe it's a true story, that one man can actually have a life like this, you WILL need to put it down every so often and gently remind yourself, this is a BIOGRAPHY. But believe it or not this is how the guy lived....and man it makes me feel bad, all I do is sit around and play WoW

The Wandering Samurai: the life of Miyamoto Musashi, one of the greatest samurai to ever live and my hero

Musashi: a fictionalised account of the life of Miyamoto Musashi, one of, if not the, best selling Japanese book of all time

Fight Club: Makes the movie seem like a dull reflection, Chuck Palahniuk is a seriously messed up individual, but man what an author You'll be unable to watch the film in QUITE the same way ever again

Neverwhere: Niel Gaiman is my hero, and this is one of his finest novels, about a man lost in a world where Tubestops are people, and angels walk the earth. and speaking of neil Gaiman....

The Sandman: Techically yes, this is a graphic novel series, but I challenge you to find a writen novel series that packs in as much as Niel Gaiman manages to fit into this 10, relatively short works (well, except Kindly ones, that thing is a fucking DOORSTOP) Dream is one of the most beleiveable protaganists of all time, and he's not even really a person

and if we're mentioning Graphic novels, you can't not bring up...
    AKIRA: to all fans of the movie, I cannot urge you enough to read the original Manga, Katsuhiro Otomo's work is quite simply breathtaking in it's scope 6 volumes of some of the finest written Sci Fi/fantasy/action/drama you'll ever read, topped off with some outstanding art, I only wish they could remake the movie to include more than the story of 1/2 of one of the smallest of the 6 books...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    @Rachel: Neil Gaman is a superb author and writer (writes for films too)! I've never read an author who is so versatile. He can do fantasy, sci-fi, comedy, horror, gothic/darkness, quite often all at the same time! I loved his American Gods book and The Sandman is frequently recommended, though I have yet to read it.

@Azalu+Grimbold21: I was forced to read many fiction books in school. 1984 is definitely a classic and a "book must read before you die".

@Gallahadd: your list is full of enjoyable books! Heard many good things about A Song of Ice and Fire. Loved Belgariad and the Malorean books as a child. I also remember reading Farseer Trilogy and it was definitely fun enough to finish the series. Musashi is a very cool read. It is very short but has many lessons and insights about mental strength+will, fun fight stories and uniqueness of feudal Japan. If you've ever played the Warrior class in WoW, you'll LOVE it!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-12-16 at 12:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the warcraft series

Revalation (Seriously, it is awesome)

Also, most books by Stephen King, Great Author .....
    Last edited by Crush; 2010-12-17 at 03:45 PM.

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Deleted
    I'm not really a fantasy fan but I've read few fantasy books.
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Even tho movie was bad, i must say I really enjoyed reading those books. They're on my top list. You should really read it.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I also enjoyed reading the books, story is great and it's also funny. Can't wait for the prequel.

Soon I'll start reading Hobbit and LotR trilogy, but I'll read it in english. I wish there was more good books translated in slovene language. Oh and maybe I'll give A Song of Ice and Fire series another chance, first time i wanted to read it, I just couldn't find it enjoyable enough to keep on reading it :P

Anything by Bukowski (Post Office, Women, ...), Palahniuk (Choke, Fight Club,...), H. Murakami (Kafka on the shore, Norwegian wood,...), Kafka himself, Camus's Stranger and, of course, D. Adams' Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy!
    I'd also suggest Henry Miller, but he might be too rough for some tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    All the warcraft series

Revalation (Seriously, it is awesome)

Also, most books by Stephen King, Great Author .....
    What is this Revalation about? =)

Stephen King is indeed a great author Even his debut book was epic (Carrie).

Quote Originally Posted by ennui View Post
    Anything by Bukowski (Post Office, Women, ...), Palahniuk (Choke, Fight Club,...), H. Murakami (Kafka on the shore, Norwegian wood,...), Kafka himself, Camus's Stranger and, of course, D. Adams' Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy!
    I'd also suggest Henry Miller, but he might be too rough for some tastes.
    I think I only read one book by Bukowski (pulp). I've heard it was his worst, but anyways, it didn't really catch me...

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    I think I only read one book by Bukowski (pulp). I've heard it was his worst, but anyways, it didn't really catch me...
    That's quite alright if Chinaski isn't up your ally.
    My girlfriend, for example, hates his writing (whereas my ex loved him).
    To me, Bukowski is more of a poet than a writer anyway:

FOR JANE

225 days under grass
    and you know more than I.
    they have long taken your blood,
    you are a dry stick in a basket.
    is this how it works?
    in this room
    the hours of love
    still make shadows.

when you left
    you took almost
    everything.
    I kneel in the nights
    before tigers
    that will not let me be.

what you were
    will not happen again.
    the tigers have found me
    and I do not care.

I'd still give him another chance: Factotum would be a good first book.

1984 - George Orwell
    Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb (and anything else, really)
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Three very different books, but my top 3 recommendations. Love them.
    Generally, I'm a fantasy freak, but I'll read almost anything (scratch romance, crime, thriller.. ).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaedia View Post
    1984 - George Orwell
    Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb (and anything else, really)
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Three very different books, but my top 3 recommendations. Love them.
    Generally, I'm a fantasy freak, but I'll read almost anything (scratch romance, crime, thriller.. ).
    Good taste.
    I've only met one person who didn't like the Book Thief. She owns a book shop and doesn't stock books she doesn't like .
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I recommend The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. It is a fantastic series about a wizard private investigator. Dune is also recommended as is the Niteside series by Simon R. Green.

Wow~ many nice books, thx for sharing~

Deleted
    anything classic should do the tric, avoid cheap fantasy tho :P

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

Actual book titles are A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and coming soon(tm) Dances With Dragons.

These books are awesome epic fantasy novels. Hundreds of characters, thousands of plots and subplots, but it really feels like an entire world, unlike some other limited fantasy. Martin is often regarded as one of the best fantasy writers out there (he has won record numbers of nebula and hugo awards for a reason) but I must warn you, he is horribly slow. The publishers were saying DwD would be out in 2007, and he is still working on it as he feels like. The wait is horrible but the end product is always orgasmically amazing.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

I didn't read through the whole thread, so maybe someone mentioned it already, but I wanted to throw out House of Leaves.

Unlike any book I'd read before, it will blow your mind and scare the shit out of you at the same time - easily my favorite book ever. Check it out!
    Profanity is the inevitable linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother%$#@er.
    -
    Jamboro: 110 SPriest, Jamb: 110 Blood DK, Jambori: 110 Prot. Warrior,Jambro: 110 Frost Mage, etc.

For anyone interested in ancient Japanese culture I'd suggest novels by Eiji Yoshikawa - "Musashi" and some others. The best was the novel about Toyotomi Hideyoshi(real historical person). I've read them(3 novels) in Japanese to Russian translation, so don't know, if any English versions exist.
    Also, "Peony lantern" by San'yūtei Enchō(not sure about English spelling).

I have a feeling that many people have a wrong perseption of Asian culture after watching a shitload of animes, so suggest to read something serious.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2010-12-22 at 08:54 PM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renagade Raven View Post

I read World War Z and would definitely recommend it for zombie fans. Add to that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which is well written, engaging, funny, and works well - the delicate kind of style used in Pride and Prejudice gets a shock when introduced to a zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately I left it at home before coming to Uni so I haven't had the chance to finish, but the Chapters I read were great.
    I attempted Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and I couldn't get into it. This may be because I don't really care for Pride and Prejudice, and so even bringing in zombies, I couldn't really stand reading the story.

A couple of others that I haven't seen mentioned: The Wanting Seed and the Doctor is Sick by Anthony Burgess. Actually, most of the books I've read by him have been excellent. Also Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is also very great as well.
    Last edited by JustTed; 2010-12-22 at 10:55 PM.
    This passion is a plagiarism.

I'm suprised to see a few series not mentioned so far and i will add these at the end of the post but lets go with some that have been covered first.

The Wheel of Time: Exclent series of books which in my opinion blew tolkien out of the watter with the sheer depth of story verity of charecters and the thought that went into the stories world.
    I actualy avoided this series for a fair while because of the book art :P but luckily i was bored enough to get it from the library though they typicaly only had the second book at the time i was so taken with it i went and bought the series to date at the tiem and started from the begining.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings: The origonal fantasy book for many readers and epic if hard to follow story which luckily had very good movie adaptions for Lord of the Rings...lets hope The Hobbit fares as well for its movie adaption.

The Sword of Truth:I had spoted this a few times in book stores always with a new book being released and i though Goodkind was taking the piss with some cheep chash in but Boy was i wrong, An absoloutly epic set of books that kept me going to the end.

The Death Gate Cycle: By Weis and Hickman.
    A quite good read about with a very large scope, as the story develops you find out that the main char is of a race of demi gods sent from their former prison to scout the mini worlds in search of their old enemy(the creators of the mini worlds and the prision)..i could go on but realy that would be spoiling it.

The Belgariad followed by The Malloreaon: 12 books from this fantasy world by Eddings(2 background books and 10 main books) A very nice set of books following the story of Garion he is transformed from a backwards farm boy thats constantly under his aunts thumb to becoming King and Magician and the only person able to use the Orb (a stone wich contains the power to destroy gods and create the universe)

The Elenium and The Tamuli:Also from Eddings and one i enjoyed a bit more, The first series Being about a Queen who is taken seriously ill and encased in crystal to slow her death long enough for her champion to find the Bhelliom a Jem of great power which incidentaly holds the conciosnes of the troll gods, to heal the Queen.

The second Series starts a bit later on after the previous books events have settled and focuses on the rise of the Zemochs and the subsequent defeat of their god By the queens champion with the aid of the troll gods and the Bhelliom.

Now onto ones i didnt see mentioned.

The Dragon Lance chronicles: by Weis and Hickman
    Covers many story arcs all very old fantasy with loads of dragons both good and evil, just a pity the series were jumping about and didnt focus on one timeframe for more than 3 books...but read as seprate trilogys are realy quite good

The Chronicles of Pern:This series of books needs a bit of sorting through just to get chronological order as there is loads of books set over hundreds of years.
    I realy liked this series of books once i got them sorted...It starts with the colonization of a new world(Pern) and the circumstances which befell the colonists...they find a new lizard species that wasnt listed in the planets survey basicaly a mini dragon they also note strange spots in the great forests where there is nothing native to clear the areas...then the shit hits the fan. an organisim falls to earth in a rain it eats all organic material it comes in contact with and those who have moved out of the colonys center to start their farming are in danger as they have used natural materials to build their homes but luckily for the colonists the little dragonets defend colonists by breathing fire and burning the thread from the sky's above...this then leads the biologists tampering with the dragonete's DNA to make them bigger and smarter and thus perns dragons were born, the series then go's into the years where the colony has been abandoned and city's settled with dragons defending the sky and eventualy ending with the re discovery of the landing site and the re learning of the source of the thread which the then set out to destroy once and for all.

The Deed of Paksenarrion:
    Writen by Elizabeth Moon it follows the Adventures of Paks a girl that runs off to join a military company all the way through her training her first Battles her natural ability and her good nature..she progresses from a mercenary to aprentice knight and through hard trials becoming a Paladin of Gird ending up back where she started with her old company where Her old boss turns out to be an Half Elf prince that the forces of evil are trying to have killed.
    A realy good read, realy satisfying story just a shame that it didnt last longer.

The Serrano Legacy: also by Elizabeth Moon Follows Captin Heris Serrano who has been forced by a Blood thisrty mental case General to resign her comission to save her crew from court marshal(little dose she know that the were court marshaled and sent to prison anyway)She takes a job as a Civilian Yatch captin that transports an ecentric aristocrat to her horsing events on other worlds...the plot thickens with the usual royal back stabery and ends up coming to a head when Heris finds out that her old Crew is being used as prey for the Blood thirsty general who is a true blood sports person and the only true sport is one that can fight back.
    I quite enjoyed this...a bit slow paced to begin with but it picks up as the story moves along and its quite enjoyable to read as the yatch is changed from civi to near military standards as Heris picks up more ex military personell.

Vatta's War: Again by Elizabet Moon and a series that is not yet finished but has been excelent so far.

There is also Aliens books...not the ones that follow ripley but sets that follow Wilks the one of the only survivors of the militarys first contact with the Xenomorphs along with a civilian girl they both escape and return to earth...the story then starts only for you to find out that its years later and wilks has been abusing chemicals to blot out the horror of the events and the girl is in a mental institution...as the series progresses they end up going to the aliens home palnet but whilst in trasit earth is infested... their mission go's tits up and in typical aliens fassion they get their are handed to them, when they eventualy escape the planet they end up in a new military base on some paletiod where the higher ups think they can train the aliens to follow orders and the grand plan being to liberat earth with the obedient aliens...yeah...didnt happen.
    there is also several stand alone stories that are fairly good but the wilks story arc is prety sweet and if they were ever to make a new aliens film they should look to that rather than making some pish like resurection.