Gemming for hit?

I'm not trying to troll on blizzard, just trying to figure out why I can not find any hit. Last night a guildy (S prieat) was showing of his heroic gear and I couldn't help but notice that he was gemming for hit? What are blizzards intentions for this or is this just a mistake.
    *this is my first expansion, so if this is typical than I appologize for my lack of experience.

There's not really anything else which is ever going to be more of a DPS increase than hit until you are capped, so you should gem it if you are not capped, for casters at least. I am afraid that without knowing your class or spec there's not much more I can say.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

if you're a caster you want to gem hit and reforge hit till you are capped. when you aren't hit capped, hit is the biggest dps increase. Once you get hit capped you want to reforge/gem out of any hit that puts you over cap.

At the beginning of an expansion getting hit capped takes a little work. Gemming for hit isn't all that unusual. Until you reach the hit cap, hit is the most important stat for DPS. Later in the expansion you will be able to reach the hit cap with just the native hit on gear so you can gem for other DPS stats, like Intellect or haste.

Any hit over the cap is an absolute waste though.

Ahh, sorry guys. Guess I didn't phrase it right. I am aware of the hit cap (17%) and understand that it is number one priority. What I don't understand is I can't find it on all this amazing gear that im getting. Also, is it blizzards intention to make us gem/reforge hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Furgg View Post
    Ahh, sorry guys. Guess I didn't phrase it right. I am aware of the hit cap (17%) and understand that it is number one priority. What I don't understand is I can't find it on all this amazing gear that im getting. Also, is it blizzards intention to make us gem/reforge hit?
    yes they want you to reforge and gem hit until you are capped (or close to cap). the gem you are looking for is http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/73404/rigid-chimeras-eye/ you might not find many because not everyone that has JC has it maxed yet

Its just like how it was in early wotlk, your goal should be to get hit cap asap. It is a massive dps increase when u get it, but remember our gear will eventually get us capped, so gems will change at that point.