Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Holy VS Disc at 85

Hey guys

Im nearly 85 on my priest and i'm wondering about the viability of both these specs at 85 heroics. From what i've read Disc is just not good enough for keep up with AOE healing and holy is the only spec that can keep up?

What are your opinions on both specs?

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    I play disc and I've healed everything so far, except SFK which just hasn't shown up through random heroic yet.
    I didn't play holy yet but I don't think I'd be much better off, I can't see why.

Disc's problem is it relies on predicting damage, but then uses reactive healing to boost efficiency. So as Discipline in Cata's damage model you can't use your heals efficiently and effectively simultaneously as a Discipline Priest. You're balanced around group damage being done through heals which proc shields, but most of the time this doesn't function properly. Instead you will normally heal, then have your shields wasted, or over-heal so that the shields are consumed. Disc does well on fights where there is an AOE pulse of some type, but suffers otherwise. A good example of this would be Rajh, or the last phase of Ashbury where there's a constant stream of damage. On the other hand Discipline has some trouble on fights like Springvale, or Throngus where the damage is unpredictable and not steady.

As far as viability? Both work. Just don't try to heal with Smite and you should be fine. Play what you enjoy more.

Deleted
    Reason for not using smite? I've seen disc priests with and without this and was wondering why, i'm finding it very effective (lv 83 right now)

Holy is fine. I'm on normal content atm and i have no problems (except somebody's stupidity in pugs). I suppose both specs are fine, actually but i really cant adapt to disc new play style. In the end i believe you should play what you prefer since the 2 specs are REALLY different...

Atonement is an unpredictable, higher cost version of Heal which doesn't heal for as much on tanks. It isn't worth using in heroics, or even in the harder normals like Grim Batol, or Vortex Pinnacle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Choose the one you prefer for coolness and playstyle. And through your experience, you will truly know the answers you seek.
    Other people can't think for you. You have to do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Disc's problem is it relies on predicting damage, but then uses reactive healing to boost efficiency. So as Discipline in Cata's damage model you can't use your heals efficiently and effectively simultaneously as a Discipline Priest. You're balanced around group damage being done through heals which proc shields, but most of the time this doesn't function properly. Instead you will normally heal, then have your shields wasted, or over-heal so that the shields are consumed. Disc does well on fights where there is an AOE pulse of some type, but suffers otherwise. A good example of this would be Rajh, or the last phase of Ashbury where there's a constant stream of damage. On the other hand Discipline has some trouble on fights like Springvale, or Throngus where the damage is unpredictable and not steady.
    You're wrong. Shields aren't that mana effective. Penance, Heal, Binding Heal and Greater Heal are all more mana effective than shields are.

Welcome to level 85 where your AOE healing is balanced around using PoH to handle group-wide AOE damage as well as its auto-proc of DA? Take a number and get in line. No one was talking about PW:S.

Both holy and disc are viable. If you are running with a good group more often, Holy is improved greatly since good DPSers make lightwell amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Welcome to level 85 where your AOE healing is balanced around using PoH to handle group-wide AOE damage as well as its auto-proc of DA? Take a number and get in line. No one was talking about PW:S.
    That doesn't mean that it is about predicting damage, PoH is the most mana efficient heal even when you don't count DA so there's no "predicting the damage" taking place, it's reactive healing all the way. The only time you can call it predicting the damage is if you put up shields before the damage comes and you certainly won't cast PoH before the damage just to have the shields there to absorb the first hit when everyone is already on full hp anyway.

The only way in which disc actually relies on predicting damage is for the use of pain supression.
    Last edited by Siri; 2010-12-12 at 11:37 PM.

I'm still trying to work out the kinks of disc healing, but I'm at 330 average ilvl and I'm having trouble keeping people up on some NORMAL bosses. I don't dare do heroics yet as disc because I know they'll be painful. I'm mainly having throughput issues particularly with AoE mechanics, but perhaps the biggest issue is people standing in shit and not utilizing PW:B. Not to mention tanks still chain pull after I'm screaming at them to give me a mana break. It's tough, but I honestly think it's tougher as disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    That doesn't mean that it is about predicting damage, PoH is the most mana efficient heal even when you don't count DA so there's no "predicting the damage" taking place, it's reactive healing all the way. The only time you can call it predicting the damage is if you put up shields before the damage comes and you certainly won't cast PoH before the damage just to have the shields there to absorb the first hit when everyone is already on full hp anyway.
    So you believe that 25% of the spell being wasted is using a spell efficiently? Just to clarify here, since you seem to be completely missing the point that Discipline is balanced around DA and absorb mechanics to be competitive with Holy.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're Situational really. Lack of AOE damage, Use Discipline. Too much AOE, use holy.
    Just realize what spell you're casting. Make sure it's at the right time and you don't overheal or waste your mana. Be prepared to move mid cast to avoid expending mana that might not be necessary. Alot of times with Warrior Tanks using Victory Rush or Paladins with Word of Glory, Death Knights with Death Strike. I'll be ready to throw a big heal and they use those skills, I have to move to not spend that kind of mana.

Personally, I hate discipline. But find I do better with discipline on most encounters at the moment.
    I have smite action bar'd on the side. Because of Archangel. If i'm able to throw a smite, i'll do it. And then hit Archangel for 1% mana back. nice to keep archangel on cooldown, helps your mana consumption at least a little bit.

Made by Ariyana!

I've been holy since BC and love it still. Adjusting to chakra took some work but it's a great mechanic. I do find myself close to OOM on many fights which is how many healers are.

Holy is great because it has solid single target heals as well as AoE. Just remember with heal chakra, casting a direct heal (heal, FH or GH) on a target with renew refreshes the renew; not to mention HW:serenity is a cheap insta heal that packs a bit of a punch. I honestly don't touch FH at all.

The cookie encounter in HDM made people learn to click stuff so now they will actually use lightwell when it's needed.

Deleted
    Holy seems kinder to having less gear right now. With the majority of gear having Spirit/Mastery on with Spirit proc trinkets I'm getting an average of 3k mana regen as holy in combat and +21% healing from the mastery. Bigger heals are more efficient and procs like Serendipity off Binding Heals can make PoH ridiculously efficient for AoE damage. Plus, don't understimate the power of lightwell with a decent pug. I'm sure disc works, probably rather well. I tried it and had few problems, but holy just felt that much stronger and actually, faster and more efficient.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamato View Post
    They're Situational really. Lack of AOE damage, Use Discipline. Too much AOE, use holy.
    I find disc at least as good as holy for aoe - spamming poh works pretty well as either spec. If there are repeated aoes (as is common) then DA procs are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadanzi View Post
    I tried it and had few problems, but holy just felt that much stronger and actually, faster and more efficient.
    When you can take advantage of Borrowed Time and Aegis, tossing in Penance and returns from Rapture, Discipline feels that much "faster, stronger, and more efficient".

It all comes down to playstyle differences. One spec is not the answer to everything.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    I play as disc but might spec disc/holy instead of disc/shadow. Can anyone point me to a good holy build please.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticroots View Post
    I play as disc but might spec disc/holy instead of disc/shadow. Can anyone point me to a good holy build please.
    I'm running this as holy atm and it works for me...

http://wowtal.com/#k=tYOyA288.a8t.priest.qy0Uev

The only thing I would play around with is the Darkness to Mental Agility ratio. ATM I feel mana efficiency is more important than haste.