Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haste scaling and different max dps values. Ferals are lower than mages and scale better by almost doublt from the 3% haste.

Consider that 50% x 9% is 4.5% of max dps. That's not a lot.

Also, Fire and Balance have more dots which means that over time the Warlock maintains a 3 stack longer, which increase the net damage increase to the raid.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Haste scaling and different max dps values. Ferals are lower than mages and scale better by almost doublt from the 3% haste.

Consider that 50% x 9% is 4.5% of max dps. That's not a lot.

Also, Fire and Balance have more dots which means that over time the Warlock maintains a 3 stack longer, which increase the net damage increase to the raid.
    However, 40% x 9% is 3.6% of max dps (correct me if 40% is wrong for fire mages, I don't know the class and this is what I'm guessing from combat logs), and 30% x 9% is 2.7% of max dps. Which is less than the ferals. (I'm pulling these values from combat logs in my current raid, so they are at least somewhat accurate for boomkin)

Also, the ferals crit chance of 40% makes up for the fact that they only have 2 dots. I've given max uptime for every warlock that has given me Dark Intent, so that point is moot anyways.

Also, are these numbers 4.0.3 or 4.0.6?
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    Gamon: Place the pants upon my head, Deathwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    However, 40% x 9% is 3.6% of max dps (correct me if 40% is wrong for fire mages, I don't know the class and this is what I'm guessing from combat logs), and 30% x 9% is 2.7% of max dps. Which is less than the ferals. (I'm pulling these values from combat logs in my current raid, so they are at least somewhat accurate for boomkin)

Also, the ferals crit chance of 40% makes up for the fact that they only have 2 dots. I've given max uptime for every warlock that has given me Dark Intent, so that point is moot anyways.

The Mage in my guild who regularly gets ranked top 10 does about 35% DOT damage single-target.

Deleted
    During the 7 second duration of Dark Intent, a feral will have 7 bleed ticks (4 rip and 3 rake). With a crit chance of 40%, there is a (1-0.4)^7 = 2.8% chance of not getting a crit in any of these 7 ticks, letting DI fall off.
    Last edited by mmoc2e7b040398; 2011-01-21 at 11:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

Congrats, but the ferals I run with who have 100% uptime on their dots as per WoL have had bad luck streaks where it fell off on me.

Look at the dps of the people I modelled, and note the caveat at the bottom. It was generated using SimCraft 372 BIS, which indicated that a Feral Druid would do ~21-22k dps, whereas a Fire Mage would do 27k dps. 3.6% of 27k ~= 4.5% of 22k, so add in the doubled haste scaling and you get a higher ranking for the Fire Mage. This is assuming of course that SimCraft was doing a decent job in the first place and that the BIS profile was accurate.

4.0.3, updating soon

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mihir View Post
    During the 7 second duration of Dark Intent, a feral will have 7 bleed ticks (4 rip and 3 rake). With a crit chance of 40%, there is a (1-0.4)^7 = 2.8% chance of not getting a crit in any of these 7 ticks, letting DI fall off.
    The math factors in 10,000 unique combinations of dot ticks and crits, and was used to generate the uptime, and also accounts for these 2.8% occurrances where it falls off. How long does it stay at 1 stack? 2 stacks? does it ever reach 3 stacks or does it fall off again? If it stayed at 1 stack for 4 seconds, how does that impact average dps?

The app I wrote calculates all that and spits out an average. Consider the definition of "Uptime" in this case to be "How much dps do you ACTUALLY gain from this? I know its not the full 9% 100% of the time."
    Last edited by gherkin; 2011-01-21 at 05:48 PM.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    As well detailed as your statement is, and bravo sir very well done.

Id like to add that even if one class is better to cast it on
    When given a choice between a bad class good player vs good class bad player my intent is going on the good player.

Okay, that makes sense.
    Thanks a bunch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course - the undergeared mage who keeps up with the average raid dps and stays alive the whole fight is a much better target than the shadow priest with full 372's who dies halfway through every single fight.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 10:15 AM ----------

If you want to help this go faster, please post links to non-warlock 4.0.6 raid talent trees and BIS profiles. I could google, but I wouldn't know if the one I used is current and not generated by someone who's intelligence is suspect. You guys know your classes better than me, tell me what to use

I have all 3 warlocks. I need everything else.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Something you may want to note for the next round, is that Unholy and Frost DKs actually have two different specs each, one for Dual Wield and one for Two-Hand. The Two-hand Frost spec is getting a major buff this time around, so it may be more common in raids than it was before. Specs for Frost Dual Wield, Frost 2H, Unholy 2H, and Unholy DW. I can't find BiS sets off-hand, but they're pretty much the same between DW and 2H except for weapon (obviously) and hit cap reforging.

As of right now, most Frosts go DW and most Unholy go 2h until 372ish where DW becomes optimal, but as I said with 4.0.6 Frost 2H is getting a major buff. As a general rule DW goes Frost presence and 2H goes Unholy.

Also, Frost's glyphed Howling Blast also adds frost fever (dot) to everything it hits within 10yds, which could make it the optimal choice for an AoE-heavy fight like Magmaw or possibly Halfus if you get the little guys. I don't know if you can sim AoE fights seperately but it may be worth looking into.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

]If you want to help this go faster, please post links to non-warlock 4.0.6 raid talent trees and BIS profiles. I could google, but I wouldn't know if the one I used is current and not generated by someone who's intelligence is suspect. You guys know your classes better than me, tell me what to use

I have all 3 warlocks. I need everything else.
    I'll leave that to Mihir, as he's a far better theorycrafter than I

15+ Year Old Account
    @Gualdhar - I used the higher simmed version of each of the 4 DK DPS specs, assuming that people would roll the higher of the two. The uptime is the same (number of ticks of dots/crit rate does not change), but their personal dps gain changes. By using the higher of the two, I get the better dps gain and can rank them as per "max dps".

In this 4.0.3 setup, DW Frost and 2h Unholy were tops, but I have reports from the DK in my guild that BIS DW Unholy is the way to go. If they're close or counter intuitive, I'll include all 4.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I just didn't know what happened since I only saw two specs. But from what I remember, DW scales horribly with haste, so there may be a very significant jump for 4.0.6 2H Frost's placing over where the DW placing is now, and DW Unholy would drop significantly. That's why listing the increase from both sets of specs may be worthwhile. Its not hard to do a quick inspect to see what they're going with.

For those who can't tell the difference (aside from a giant sword vs. two little ones), Unholy DW takes a hit talent from Frost, 2H does not. With Frost, 2H and DW will take different talents in the second to last tier.

EDIT: Just checked BiS stat weights real quick, and it looks like Unholy's haste weight doesn't change much. Frost's does drop like a rock from 2H to DW though.
    Last edited by gualdhar; 2011-01-21 at 08:14 PM.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

A few things to cover:
    3) Balance druids have a guaranteed crit mechanic via Sunfire, but because they have less % of damage from DoT's they rank lower than Shadow Priests and Fire Mages.
    Wait, what?
    Sunfire is just a 1-to-1 copy Moonfire but instead deals naturedamage, so it can benefit from the eclipse that buffs nature damage. (but as they can't be both up on the same target)

Thanks gherkin for the awesome work. This post is greatly appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please note that I am not saying that SUNFIRE does less damage, but that Moonkins have less dot damage than Shadow Priests. This is a class by class comparison, not a spell by spell comparison.

R.I.P. YARG

I think the bit that has Starfox scratching his head is the "Balance druids have a guaranteed crit mechanic via Sunfire".

What guaranteed crit mechanic is this? :S

Destruction is the only class spec I know of that specifically desires haste more at certain points than others. Shadow Priests always want haste, going over a plateau isn't going to change that, but it will for Destruction locks (at which point they will want Crit/Mastery for a while until their base gear goes up some more)
    Haste is still a good secondary stat after the plateaus @ full 372 gear (crit > haste > mastery) just not obtainable anymore without losing int/hit. Just goes down from 3.5 dps /haste rating when close to plateau to the simcraft bis values atm (1.13 dps/haste rating).
    Plateaus for destro warlocks are +12.5% damage to conflag + immolate. And going to be +14.3% in 4.0.6 with a lower plateau (2589 vs 2640 atm). Keep im mind for the purposes of this plateau 1x DI is 450 haste rating.

The actual rdps losses from 2xlock->2x SP to just 2xlock are around 1800 dps for these numbers, assuming 100% uptime on DI, lower uptime it's gonna go lower than 1800 rdps loss.

Any other lock spec, way more rdps loss. Dual target fight, moonkin/SP always. Combustion/Ignite fight, fire mages. Magmaw HC, destro locks always. Just make sure you give it to someone who's gonna do the dps and especially going to be alive, no bigger rdps loss to have it on whiny non-locks and then have them dead for half the fight.
    Last edited by dakalro; 2011-01-30 at 06:26 PM.

What is the %dot damage for shadowpriests in calculations? Where does that 24% come (as New has in calc)?
    Fiend, SWD, MB.. (imp.DP is scaling from DI dot component)
    SWD can't be used in all fights, or doesn't need to be used in all fights before execute. I'd like to see one summary without SWD in rotation just for interest.
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Using the current BIS 372 Profile under PTR settings:

Shadow Priests receive 73% of their damage from DOTs. With the DPS output of this profile being 29658 DPS, this leaves 21650 DPS from DOTs.

Running a profile without Shadow Word: Death we see 76.8% of damage coming from DOTS. With the DPS output of this profile being 28894, this leaves 22191 DPS from DOTs.

These are of course in comparison to the old 372 BIS profile using Live settings:

On Live Shadow Priests recieve 77% of their damage from DOTs. With the DPS output of this profile being 24449, this leaves 18826 DPS from DOTs.
    Last edited by New; 2011-01-30 at 10:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll try to remember a SWD/No:SWD option for next time.

Currently waiting on Hunter, DK, and Druid BIS profiles. I'll be redoing this for 4.0.6 as soon as I have them.

And to the hunters: Survival will go up, I missed something in the original run, but you still won't beat the top 5.

R.I.P. YARG