Are Cata heroics really that much harder?

I wonder really. Think back about doing wotlk heroics in quest/normal blue gear. Were they really that much easier back then? I remember running dry on wotlk heroic bossfights at the very start, having plenty of trouble to keep the group up. I rememver even wiping on HC Old Kingdom in full epics with an idiot tank charging into 3 casterpacks and getting one-shot.

Thing is, now my guild group started gearing up and we've gathered full 346 gear combined with a couple of epics we can already speedclear most heroics, cleaving our way through wotlk style, without relying on any form of CC. Bosses drop in 2 minutes and this is only in blue gear / first tier epics. Seems like it will go exactly the same path as late wotlk.

Isn't it just that people got used to outgearing heroics by such a big margin, with too easy to obtain epic gear, that having to do them in intended quality gear feels impossible all of a sudden? Feels to me that the only thing that changed is a reset of gearquality, not the big leap in heroic difficulty as a lot of the players think it is.

They are harder. They are not harder than some BC ones. I do wish there was a cata heroic thats as hard as things like heroic arcatraz. What I'm trying to say is that some heroics should be very hard because so far, all heroics have been fairly simple and nothing insane like a couple of the BC ones. Pretty soon, I'm going to be done with all these cata heroics without genuinely hard ones to look forward to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psquared View Post
    They are harder. They are not harder than some BC ones. I do wish there was a cata heroic thats as hard as things like heroic arcatraz. What I'm trying to say is that some heroics should be very hard because so far, all heroics have been fairly simple and nothing insane like a couple of the BC ones. Pretty soon, I'm going to be done with all these cata heroics without genuinely hard ones to look forward to.
    Do not fear, there will always be heroic raidsto look forward to =D Well, at least for now there are some really fun raidbosses

You can tune stuff as hard as you want, but if you have a group of competent players that knows how to avoid fires, interrupt, and play appropriately, they're going to roll over it eventually. You might not have to CC trash right now but I'm not going to believe in the slightest that your healer ends pulls at 80% mana and you aren't managing your cool downs appropriately. The difference between Wotlk and Cata is that in wrath you were allowed to chain pull with no regard to your abilities. Hit your tclap/consecration/swipe/dnd and afk. Sure, now you put down those aoe's but you're playing smart which means avoiding stuff you can and interrupting casts that need to be. And, considering I watched a guild in naxx gear get less Rabi in 17 seconds (yes, less than 3 weeks after release), I think heroics have accomplished their goal.

There is room for more heroics. There's only 9 heroics off the bat and I'm guessing they'll add 2 or 3 each patch like wrath. So the Tl;DR answer? Yes, but good players will always make 5 man content tuned for somewhat competent players look trivially easy after outgearing it.

BC heroics were way harder then Cat heroics. Black Morass and Slabs took way longer in blues and greens then being in blues and green for any Cata heroic. Black Morass prenerf was hell.

Deleted
    harder than heroic wraths.. yeah mostly.
    from what you have to do about what you have to do in icc nonheroic. so still easy once you have the gear your supposed to have to do them

---------- Post added 2010-12-17 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    BC heroics were way harder then Cat heroics. Black Morass and Slabs took way longer in blues and greens then being in blues and green for any Cata heroic. Black Morass prenerf was hell.
    could it be that you have gotten better in the past 3 years?
    TBC heroics werent harder you didnt even have to do as much

10+ Year Old Account
    how hard do you want them to be?... if everyone is in full 346 gear then you should be raiding you have no reason to do heroics anymore, hence why they shouldn't be challenging.. how is it fun to continue being challenged in heroics when u have surpassed the gear they give? thats pointless. and if it were that hard then logically it would be imposible to have done them before you got the gear in the first place. what your asking for is a dial to keep turning up everytime you get better. be serious about it...

Are they harder than WoTLK? Yes
    Are they really -that- hard? No

WoTLK heroics were easy. BC heroics were moderate to hard and I'm inclined to say Cata heroics are moderate with one or two semi-hard ones. I think Cata just feels harder because so many people have been spoiled and lulled into doing stupid things by Wrath's faceroll heroics. I mean look at how people got all vocal about HoR when it came out. That wasn't even harder, for its gear level, than m ost BC heroics, and to be honest Loken was a harder encounter when wrath even first came out than any encounter in HoR was.

Man, when Tic Tac Toe first came out it was sooo HARD. But now, after playing Tic Tac Toe for only 3 days, I just breeze through the content! Seriously, NO one can beat me anymore. Buff Tic Tac Toe.