Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Keystone archaeology question

What exactly are they used for?

how do you get them?

Are they basically "Bonus" items you look with (or instead of) normal fragments? I know they can be used as ~6 fragments by themselves, but what is the exact deal with them?

9/10 pages on archaeology are copy & paste regurgitation of the same information to try and pull in advertising, and are not really in any way useful as some of them still say it's still for the path of the titans (and that's the first page of results for google)

Also, what controls what your next 'project' is? Random?
    And when can you start getting 'Rare' projects? (skill level? looting an item (and a required skill level?)?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Some artifacts you "build" can be completed faster by using keystones, the keystones count as 12 fragments.

As for the other questions: Next project is always random, and I got my first rare at around 140 skill.

I gues i dont understand the 'building'.. None of the usual sources (wowhead, wowwiki, mmo-champ) have any information on keystones, 'building', or anythign beyound really:
    1) go to dig site, survey, obtain
    2) Click "Solve" (after skill level 100)

Other then that, it's all a beta-insider-only mystery info that didn't really make it out to big sites (Like the ones mentioned above)...
    The little I found on keystones said:
    1) Can be consumed for buff in new dungeons
    2) Required for something (not explained)
    3) can be used as fragments

The #2 there is the big question, no one really says what they are for other than 1 and 2.. and no one explains how the 'special' rewards are found/obtained/started/etc.

I know it's not trainers, they only have the skill increases

edit: you ninja'ed in another reply ;-)

Also, keystones are only from dig sites?

I was wondering this myself. I read the blue post on it recently, and it seemed to lack very much depth.

Deleted
    You can build items with fragments, Keystones count as 12 fragments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagash View Post
    You can build items with fragments, Keystones count as 12 fragments.
    (Dont take this the wrong way) To someone without any knowledge from beta, this sounds like keystones replace your current research project with one specific for the keystone, and adds 12 fragments....

I am probably off, and it's not your fault, but just trying to point out this is still kinda vague for someone who is at 100 archaeology and still has no idea what exactly this profession is supposed to be doing beyond... Survey, dig, solve.... Partly because it's not explained to a non-archaeologist anywhere...

Artifacts (Unless those are just fragments) & keystones are a mystery but are vaguely not talked about anywhere.. "You will come across them, they help" <-- Common paraphrase of most archaeology websites atm

it's really all just frustrating to a new-to-archaeology person who wants to learn it... Don't take anything I'm saying as an attack/insult, just trying to point out everyone talks in vagueness with archaeology like it's common knowledge... and I can't find the 'common knowledge' anywhere to catch up
    Last edited by Kewi; 2010-12-07 at 05:24 PM.

I agree it is frustrating not knowing what to do at every step of the way. I am an avid collector of pets and mounts and am very eager to level with archeology. I cant wait to get the pets and the mount and all the flavor items.

That being said, its also fun to discover on my own what is in the game. I've found that if I know too much I'm just going through the motions and missing out on learning things instead of just recoginizing what is next.

Certain items you can craft with archaeology will have this little empty icon under the fragment bar. Not all will have this. It's a hexagram shaped hollow icon that you can click if you have the necessary keystone. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Zaebrael View Post
    Certain items you can craft with archaeology will have this little empty icon under the fragment bar. Not all will have this. It's a hexagram shaped hollow icon that you can click if you have the necessary keystone. Hope this helps
    Thank you :-) that is helpful information! Adds more light on the profession

So this keystone you get from doing normal digging ? or is it also/only obtained by dungeon runs with the necessary archaeology skill level (like BOP Patterns for alchemy, smithing, etc.)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Some artifacts you "build" can be completed faster by using keystones, the keystones count as 12 fragments.

As for the other questions: Next project is always random, and I got my first rare at around 140 skill.
    Where do you get projects from?

15+ Year Old Account
    You get keystones simply from digging.

Your "project" is anything you're currently collecting fragments for, and subsequent "projects" the Archaeology interface chooses at random for you to do next after completing a project.
    Last edited by Kelzam; 2010-12-07 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    1) Can be consumed for buff in new dungeons
    2) Required for something (not explained)
    3) can be used as fragments
    1.Nope
    2.Nope
    3.Yep.

Literally that's all they're for (At the moment, info subject to change, god only knows)
    It's pretty much just a convenient way of getting 12 fragments and saving them to make something you want, the higher level/rare stuff can max out at 150 fragments; aka, a fucking lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    My first idea was to hoard fragments until higher levels because of the amount of fragments they can take, but honestly, leveling archaeology takes long enough and they're a common enough drop that you might as well use them as you get them. Keep in mind, they also aren't soulbound which means they can be traded. Later archaeology finds will have more than one keystone slot, so just focus on getting your skill-ups before the items you'll be piecing together later.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakashima View Post
    My first idea was to hoard fragments until higher levels because of the amount of fragments they can take, but honestly, leveling archaeology takes long enough and they're a common enough drop that you might as well use them as you get them. Keep in mind, they also aren't soulbound which means they can be traded. Later archaeology finds will have more than one keystone slot, so just focus on getting your skill-ups before the items you'll be piecing together later.

Save them and sell them for mass money in the Auction house,or use them to finish the epic items faster. It is a waste to use them on low-level junk.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopXQ View Post
    Save them and sell them for mass money in the Auction house,or use them to finish the epic items faster. It is a waste to use them on low-level junk.
    You can only use a certain amount per project, and each one you use puts you 12 fragments ahead, permanently, as fragments roll into the next project. You're better off using them asap.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    You guys certain that they can't be used for buffs? I was hearing from one of my friends yesterday that they could.

Deleted
    They can be used for buffs inside instances, I handed a nelf one in to a shell in Throne heroic today, gave the entire group a 10% damage buff that lasted till we finished the instance, it counted as a daily quest (the hand in is a blue !).

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgasm View Post
    1.Nope
    2.Nope
    3.Yep.

Literally that's all they're for (At the moment, info subject to change, god only knows)
    It's pretty much just a convenient way of getting 12 fragments and saving them to make something you want, the higher level/rare stuff can max out at 150 fragments; aka, a fucking lot.
    yes, they can be used for buffs in dungeons.

They CANNOT be used as buffs in dungeons HOWEVER, once you get to a high enough level in archaeology, there will be things you can do in dungeons for a group buff, that is confirmed. My buddy was ranting about how he just did it in vent earlier today... just not exactly sure what he did lol...
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

[EDIT] deleting supposition I've since been able to disprove.
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2010-12-18 at 09:59 PM.