Having both EU and US game versions?

Hi all, I'm living in the UK while playing the US version with a friend which is cool but it's impossible to do any decent pve because of time zones and latency. I have a good EU account just waiting to be leveled to cata but I love playing with my friend on US. I have tried straight up installing EU version and it doesn't work while US is on my machine.

Could anyone that has done this tell me the best way to go about it?

Thanks.

Never done it myself but the clients should be the same regardless of US or EU origin, you should be able to change the realmlist to have the EU information and swap the file as needed to switch regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Never done it myself but the clients should be the same regardless of US or EU origin, you should be able to change the realmlist to have the EU information and swap the file as needed to switch regions.
    IF this works, and you have enough space, you can just copy the WoW folder, and have one with an EU realmlist, and an other with a US realmlist.
    DERP

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    That sounds like a nice Idea - also there are files which are US_en ect - so i'm not sure what to do about those, unless they are the realm files.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dedweight: I'm not entirely sure that works with the new client. I'm a previous US player and in november 2009 I rerolled EU to be able to guild raid. I never bothered to reinstall the client so I simply changed the realmlist to EU and swapped back to US each time a new patch was released (because I couldn't install EU patches on a US client). After 4.0.1 when Blizzard released the new client, I tried changing my realmlist to US to see that it still worked (although I, of course, no longer had to download any patches that way) and it didn't work, my client wouldn't even open.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    Dedweight: I'm not entirely sure that works with the new client. I'm a previous US player and in november 2009 I rerolled EU to be able to guild raid. I never bothered to reinstall the client so I simply changed the realmlist to EU and swapped back to US each time a new patch was released (because I couldn't install EU patches on a US client). After 4.0.1 when Blizzard released the new client, I tried changing my realmlist to US to see that it still worked (although I, of course, no longer had to download any patches that way) and it didn't work, my client wouldn't even open.
    Thanks for the info!

I have an Idea but will take some hours - Archive my current US client into winrar chunks, delete the US client (or uninstall) then install the EU client in a different location to normal , then unrar my chunks of US client into it's usuall place then hope for the best.

Wondering if that'll work?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be a better idea to simply download the EU client from Battle.net. It only takes 15 minutes to install, but you do then have to download 9.5gb of stuff through the client. But just let it download when you're doing something else, or during night/work.
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I think it would be a better idea to simply download the EU client from Battle.net. It only takes 15 minutes to install, but you do then have to download 9.5gb of stuff through the client. But just let it download when you're doing something else, or during night/work.
    i'll give this a go thanks, last time I tried it was with the CD's so might work this way, hopefully it allows me to select the folder to install in. If that works then i'm sittin pretty, thnx again.

if this dosnt work I KNOW! that by installing one of the clients on an external harddrive will work aswell, that means however tha tyou need to have/get a hard drive. and no a memorystick wont work :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Np.
    I reinstalled my client three days ago and can confirm that you can install it wherever you want.
    Linkedin - Portfolio

It's installing atm so im just crossing my fingers that everything will be fine, downloading pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by critterkiller View Post
    if this dosnt work I KNOW! that by installing one of the clients on an external harddrive will work aswell, that means however tha tyou need to have/get a hard drive. and no a memorystick wont work :P
    Hehe I was looking at memory stick at 70 quid a pop for 40g which is what i'd need if that was the case, my tiny lil 2gb one would have taken me a while to move bit by bit onto my old pc (which won't run wow) haha.

---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 05:01 PM ----------

It worked, having it downloaded rather than using CD's and changing the location for install , only thing is that you can't make a short cut to WoW instead you have to go into the folder.