Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunter pet tanking in heroics

What encounters can be made easier by using pet for some tanking?
    So far I know:
    Deadmines - Foe Reaper 5000
    Lost City - High Prophet Barim - tanking the phoenix
    Halls of Origination - picking up the snakes - not exactly pet tanking, but still.
    Stonecore - Ozruk
    SFK - Baron Ashbury
    Throne of the Tides - Faceless Watchers

What are your ideas? Maybe some bosses can be tanked by pet just to ease healer's job via mend pet?

Keep in mind, that pet's tanking benefit is in 90% AoE reduction and in extra healing. Pets can stand if fire and void zones. Blood of rhino, glyphed mend pet and silverback give you ~6.5k HPS on pet without healer. However, pets have significantly lower HP pool than tank (about same as hunter), are not good for fights with picking many adds, and are terrible for kiting fights.
    Last edited by Thiron; 2010-12-23 at 09:54 AM.
    Old Gods made me do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubtful, I know even leveling with my tenacity pet while he would tank maybe just 2-3 mobs, they hit very hard and mend pet sometimes could not keep up. I won't say it can't be done, but it may be very, very difficult.

The bigger they are, the harder I hit'em

the pet of even a BM hunter cant tank no heroic bosses, however, adds, or trash during bosses migth be very possible, if its a good idea however, i doubt it.
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Hunter pets seem amazing at tanking in normals. If the hunter and tank are communicating on vent etc then there's no reason a pet couldn't some light off tanking, even if it's just to absord a single blow then the tank take it back. Mend pet is very powerful and pets are pretty much invincible when not tanking, and every digit of mana is now important to healers, so absorbing some damage can never hurt!

Little things like that, as well as taunt kiting etc, but if you're thinking about straight up tanking trash or a boss, I don't think that is very likely.

the reason hunter pets are good for foe reaper is because his "attackl" is a cleave. pets take reduced aoe. pets win.

The first boss in SFK, pets take 0 damage from asphixiate. It's a breeze.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last night tanked Ozruk in stonecore heroic. Easier since shatter almost doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Thiron; 2010-12-22 at 08:04 AM.
    Old Gods made me do it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    the pet of even a BM hunter cant tank no heroic bosses, however, adds, or trash during bosses migth be very possible, if its a good idea however, i doubt it.
    I use my pet to offtank all the time. Phoenix in lost city is a great example. Mutated trogg in grim batol. a few others. Actually in grim batol I sick my pet on the mutated, then misdirect the other troggs to him and burn them down.

EDIT: And that's as SV. I rarely switch to BM.
    Last edited by LQDMTL; 2010-12-22 at 01:26 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Adding Faceless Watchers in throne of the tides - with their stupid OP ground aoe. Especially - offtanking in that last double pull
    Old Gods made me do it.

Actually use mine to tank an add on the Beauty encounter when we lack enough CC, just keep him off to the side, keep mend pet up which heals him 10 hundred billion HP per second with glyph because its OP, and evertyhing is dandy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently, doing heroic Foe Reaper, tank died to harvest during enrage and so out came the bear. Not only did we not wipe, we managed to get the achieve for the "Glory" meta. Bad trash pulls are saved maybe 30-40% of the time by a fast pet swap in the clutch. Either Feign>Dismiss>call, or Deterrence>Dismiss>Call. Either case I'm rolling mend pet as it comes out to account for the low hp spawn glitch.

With a pet specced into 3/3 improved stamina and 2/2 heart of the rhino with mend pet glyph I've seen 12k tics and up off of mend pet. While soloing trash in MC i even pulled of my bear with just healer aggro.

I've pet tanked a lot on heroic content. Pets can tank anything a player can and sometimes better if positioning doesn't matter or there isn't a quick aggro drop (1 minute taunt). So a fight like Steelbender isn't going to happen but a lot of the trash and even quite a few bosses can be tanked just fine.

This is if your healer is aware that you're pet tanking and heals you and the pet and you keep a mend pet rolling at all times. Also using a turtle or beetle for the shield wall effect can be a life saver.

I've been in groups where the tank leaves for whatever reason and while waiting in que for a new tank I just pull out the beetle and we keep going on trash end even some bosses.

Even when a pet can only withstand a few blows from a boss, if used effectively this can allow a healer about 10 seconds to get mana back, get people healed, and move to position. I've had tanks nearly die, I taunt off, last stand, shield wall, cower, and mend pet. The little bug is now virtually immortal for the next 10 seconds. Tank gets it back after beetle dies, I res the pet if needed or just win the fight.

I consider it essential to have a tenacity pet at the ready for heroics.