Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quite nice and informative guide, a few errors though but whatever, can be edited. Good work

Protection has a fair amount of debuffs (Thunder Claps 20% Attack Speed reduction, and Demoralizing Shouts Attack Power reduction further lead to melee champions having a real hard time taking you down)
    Been ages since that was changed to flat 10% physical dmg.
    But nonetheless, prot is fun in BG's even thou you have to be a bit more brained to kill something.

fail guide

nice effort though

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dear god delete this fucking guide, prot warrior pvp is just filth in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggletard View Post
    Dear god delete this fucking guide, prot warrior pvp is just filth in the community.
    What's wrong with people playing prot for fun though...? And nice guide OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

# Impending Victory (Or Lack Of): Sounds like a great idea at first, before re realize Victory Rush hits for nothing. And it does cap at 5%, period. Field Dressing will not buff this. As well, if you have a proc of Impending Victory active when you kill your target, it dose NOT bump up to a 20% heal because you killed something, it remains a 5% until you use it. Very, VERY bad talent in general.
    so wrong its insane... firstly, field dressing does improve it!, secondly, if you kill a target while you already have an "5%" victory rush active it will show 2 buffs, when hitting something will give you the largest heal.

also Glyph of Intervene adds 1 more attack that you take, this basiclly means safeguard talent is useless, so take talent OR glyph! why reduce the dmg they take for 6 sec when you are taking next 2 hits anyway?

to really understand why the victory rush is good you must add the "glyph of victory rush" (50% more healing gained from victory rush)
    the +50% more healing gained it ALLOT in the long run, getting a killing blow will heal you 50k-80k(whit last stand) and who can say thats not allot. also the glyph bonus is added before the 20% increase from field dressing (it works!) so basicly the 5% goes 7.5% whit glyph and add the 20% and you reach 9% of total health.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivius
    proc from devistate
    150k hp
    heals for 9%: 13.5k

from killing somthing
    150k hp
    heals for 36%: 54k

having all kinda of life buffs up like last stand, proc and kill
    220k hp
    heals for 9%: 19.8k
    heals for 36%: 79.2k

also count in random procs from
    Blood Craze 4.5%
    Second Wind 6%

and you got some insane self healing

oh btw, dont forget
    Enraged Regeneration 36% healing when needed
    also adding a (FREE) attack that are close to heroic strike in dmg. and having irregular rage gain this seems like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by Nivius; 2011-01-08 at 06:01 PM.
    there is no good signatures with so little signature space - Nivius

A awesome combo with, Shield Block>berserker stance>Recklessness>Colossus Smash>Shield Slam>OMGWTF
    its a hard hitter:>

Objective: Let's try to make prot viable.

Blizzard's response: just give them tons of stuns/silence/and a stupid amount of mobility

PvP Community: WoW, this warrior is useless and annoying.

But in all honesty, get over yourself prot heroes. Blizzard has always had arms as an extremely viable spec and fury is on its way. You have NOTHING to cry about

* 0.0sec: Intercept (4 Sec Stun)
    * 1.5sec: Open Slot
    * 3.0sec: Open Slot
    * 4.5sec: Open Slot
    * 6.0sec: Concussion Blow (2.5 Sec Stun - 50% Diminishing Returns)
    * 7.5sec: Open Slot
    * 9.0sec: Open Slot
    * 10.5sec: Open Slot
    * 12.0sec: Charge (0.25 Sec Stun - 75% Diminishing Returns)
    * 13.5sec: Open Slot
    * 15.0sec: Open Slot
    * 16.5sec: Open Slot
    * 18.0sec: Shockwave (4 Sec Stun - Diminishing Returns Reset)
    * 19.5sec: Open Slot
    * 21.0sec: Open Slot
    * 22.5sec: Open Slot

This is incorrect. Everytime you use a stun the DR timer resets. So in this case the shockwave will have no effect untill 18 seconds have passed since the last stun. Which was at 12s. Making the stun DR reset at 30.

Tho im not sure it starts counting when the stun lands or fades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decent Guide, but I'm a little alarmed as to the fact that on neither of these two pages, a search for Hamstring yielded nothing.

I believe it can be used in Defensive Stance now (correct me if I'm wrong). But even if not, you should absolutely keep up hamstring to the best of your ability while chasing people down.

It was mentioned that in BGs, you should focus pretty much exclusively on the enemy healer. This is very correct. Tired of seeing Prot Warriors focus on Aff locks and the like, complete waste of time when there's a healer around.

I would include a macro to switch to Zerker, Colossus Smash, Switch to Defensive, pop a trinket + shield block, shield slam. This is about as effective as your damage can possibly get as a warrior, and it's a necessity if you plan on actually killing anything.

Why everybody thinks that prot are only here to stun ? They can have one of the biggest burst. Prot War doesn't need a lot of resilience, crit is more important.

Critical Strike Rating > Hit Rating (PvP Cap) > Expertise Rating (PvP Soft Cap) > Strength > Resilience Rating > Stamina > Expertise Rating (PvP Hard Cap) > Mastery Rating > Haste Rating

Vengeance will give you a lot of PA, reason why it's better to chose crit, hit and exp before strength

edit : why use a macro for charge and interception ? god, you have to choose when you want to use one instead of the other :s They don't have the same use
    Last edited by Exocet; 2011-01-08 at 09:57 PM.

Why does he keep saying Champion? Are we playing league of legends?

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Why everybody thinks that prot are only here to stun ? They can have one of the biggest burst. Prot War doesn't need a lot of resilience, crit is more important.

Critical Strike Rating > Hit Rating (PvP Cap) > Expertise Rating (PvP Soft Cap) > Strength > Resilience Rating > Stamina > Expertise Rating (PvP Hard Cap) > Mastery Rating > Haste Rating

Vengeance will give you a lot of PA, reason why it's better to chose crit, hit and exp before strength

edit : why use a macro for charge and interception ? god, you have to choose when you want to use one instead of the other :s They don't have the same use
    Vengeance doesn't stack up a whole lot in PVP. If you're getting focused, sure, maybe, but if you're getting focused you should be focusing on surviving, not getting off a 90k shield slam with that 10k AP bonus.

I play prot in 2v2 and rated bg, when you don't have a lot of hp you're focus and vengeance give a lot of pa. Prot war have some much way to survive you just have to get a killing blow and heal you next.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivius View Post
    also Glyph of Intervene adds 1 more attack that you take, this basiclly means safeguard talent is useless, so take talent OR glyph! why reduce the dmg they take for 6 sec when you are taking next 2 hits anyway?
    Even though I tend to agree with you on the rest of your criticism, Nivius, I have a different opinion on this one.
    There are two scenarios when Intervening somebody (assuming you're not just using it as some method to fast-travel):
    1. The guy you're intervening takes not many hits, but probably big ones by one single target. Glyph of Intervene will let you take two of these hits. Safeguard is kind of useless here, but the one extra hit you take may buy you just the time you need to disarm that Arms-Warrior about to execute your Healer.
    2. The guy you're intervening gets focused on (most probably a Heal) and while the two (or one) hits you take off of him may not be a great deal, the 30% damage reduction combined with a (hopefully) fair amount of resilience will increase the healers survivability greatly.

So both in combination sure have use in PvP, since PvP is about being prepared for all different kinds of situations.

Zomg wall of text inc!

Quote Originally Posted by shekspeare View Post
    HAHA

insanely high damage reduction - 10% Bonus Armor from talents.

yeah, realy. this is a lot! it's like -5% more of damage reduction (physical). especiall versus skillshoot-casters... this is insanely a lot! oh, I can't laugh...
    =))))))))
    Its nice to see you quote out of context. Theres more in my damage reduction comment then just 10% more armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Forx View Post
    Intercept || Berserker Stance
    10 Rage || 8 - 25 yd range
    Instant || 30 sec cooldown
    Requires Berserker Stance
    Charge an enemy, causing (AP * 0.12) damage (based on attack power) and stunning it for 3 sec.
    Stated by a few people already, yes I was wrong here, but only because I threw all of my information onto a giant wall of text about 30 min before I passed out for that night. It wasn't until about 3-4 days later I went back and formated this whole thing to be readable and organized, some edits slipped past me before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ilver View Post
    I remember having 20-30 macros while pvp'ing as a prot warrior. Stuff like intervene if friendly, charge otherwise(shift for focus targets), as well as enraged regen if possible, otherwise bloodrage(later berserker rage), then enraged regen.
    I'm surprised you only have a few in your guide.
    If I included every single macro I myself used in Prot PvP, this would be a post about how everything on your hot-bar should be setup exactly the way I do or your not doing it right. People have different play-styles, I just think the above mentioned macros to be the most helpful to any one persons play-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishila View Post
    Been ages since that was changed to flat 10% physical dmg.
    But nonetheless, prot is fun in BG's even thou you have to be a bit more brained to kill something.
    Yeah, I really should'a caught this one before I even wrote it down. Downside of being awake almost 32 hours then writing a guide. Amended my guide.

so wrong its insane... firstly, field dressing does improve it!, secondly, if you kill a target while you already have an "5%" victory rush active it will show 2 buffs, when hitting something will give you the largest heal...
    ...also adding a (FREE) attack that are close to heroic strike in dmg. and having irregular rage gain this seems like a good deal to me.
    Could be just me here, but in my testing, the 5% heal from Impending Victory was not effected by glyph, nor field dressing. It always healed me a flat 5% health regardless. Things may have changed, if someone can prove me wrong here, I'll gladly amend my guide. Likewise, testing with Impending Victory while a normal Victory Rush proc was up, showed that i would Victory Rush the new target, it would be the 5% heal, and then both buffs disappeared from my bar. To me this seems like a bug, if this no longer happens, it will effect some optional gearing choices imo, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigadiddle View Post
    don't forget disarm
    >.<

Quote Originally Posted by RushLimbaugh View Post
    Decent Guide, but I'm a little alarmed as to the fact that on neither of these two pages, a search for Hamstring yielded nothing.

I believe it can be used in Defensive Stance now (correct me if I'm wrong). But even if not, you should absolutely keep up hamstring to the best of your ability while chasing people down.

It was mentioned that in BGs, you should focus pretty much exclusively on the enemy healer. This is very correct. Tired of seeing Prot Warriors focus on Aff locks and the like, complete waste of time when there's a healer around.

I would include a macro to switch to Zerker, Colossus Smash, Switch to Defensive, pop a trinket + shield block, shield slam. This is about as effective as your damage can possibly get as a warrior, and it's a necessity if you plan on actually killing anything.
    In its current incarnation, Hamstring can only be used in Battle and Zerker Stance. If you really wanted to, you could try and keep it up via stance dancing and staying in range. Its a huge rage loss however, when all you need to do is weave Charge and Intercept. All your damage comes in the form of burst anyway, being away from the target for 4-5 sec every now and again will just mean your cool-downs for another burst are coming up.

Likewise, I don't know how I've not macroed Colossus Smash into Shield Slam/Block... To the many that have pointed it out, good call.

Quote Originally Posted by bw13187 View Post
    Why does he keep saying Champion? Are we playing league of legends?
    1700 Rated Premade 3s and 5s, 1650+ Solo-5s. I play it heavily and mix the terms between the two games often. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post

Does prot have burst? Yes. Can they burst someone from full to execution range in one pass? No. As mentioned above, you can get one seriously massive Shield Slam opener with Colossus Smash and Shield Block active, past that, you have relatively weak filler attacks and stuns. This guide stresses the fact, that you need to keep a good lock-down rotation, you'll notice that it has filler gaps everywhere,in which you will still burst.

Vengeance never stacks very high in PvP, as you will likely never get focused because there "should" always be a healer somewhere, thats a higher priority. If it reaches the point where your being focus fired and thus gaining thousands of AP, the fights over and they are cleaning up.

How do they not serve the same purpose, sir? They both are mid-long ranged ground closers on short cool-downs, and end with the enemy being stunned. The only difference between the two, is one costs rage, the other generates it. In 99.999% of all situations where you can charge or intercept, your likely going to press the first one thats up just to get to the target you want to engage, or chase down. Having both macroed into one button saves key-binding space and keeps LIKE-MINDED abilities together.

Quote Originally Posted by Krostas View Post
    Even though I tend to agree with you on the rest of your criticism, Nivius, I have a different opinion on this one.
    There are two scenarios when Intervening somebody (assuming you're not just using it as some method to fast-travel):
    1. The guy you're intervening takes not many hits, but probably big ones by one single target. Glyph of Intervene will let you take two of these hits. Safeguard is kind of useless here, but the one extra hit you take may buy you just the time you need to disarm that Arms-Warrior about to execute your Healer.
    2. The guy you're intervening gets focused on (most probably a Heal) and while the two (or one) hits you take off of him may not be a great deal, the 30% damage reduction combined with a (hopefully) fair amount of resilience will increase the healers survivability greatly.

So both in combination sure have use in PvP, since PvP is about being prepared for all different kinds of situations.
    Saved me some time here, pretty much sums up the reason why both can, and usually are useful.
    Last edited by Kueson; 2011-01-09 at 12:45 AM.

Most prot wars fail at their respective dps spec for pvp, hence why they are rolling prot

so wrong its insane... firstly, field dressing does improve it!, secondly, if you kill a target while you already have an "5%" victory rush active it will show 2 buffs, when hitting something will give you the largest heal.

to really understand why the victory rush is good you must add the "glyph of victory rush" (50% more healing gained from victory rush)
    the +50% more healing gained it ALLOT in the long run, getting a killing blow will heal you 50k-80k(whit last stand) and who can say thats not allot. also the glyph bonus is added before the 20% increase from field dressing (it works!) so basicly the 5% goes 7.5% whit glyph and add the 20% and you reach 9% of total health.

also adding a (FREE) attack that are close to heroic strike in dmg. and having irregular rage gain this seems like a good deal to me.
    Actually Safeguard is 30% reduce ALL dmg taken not just melee so its faaar from useless.Great guide!
    Last edited by Skotinos; 2011-01-09 at 05:50 AM.