Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    - TCPNoDelay -
    This one is pretty simple

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Paramet ers

Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you do if you make your way to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\

but theres no other folder for Parameters? Can I create the folder myself, or is it best to leave it alone?

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post

but theres no other folder for Parameters? Can I create the folder myself, or is it best to leave it alone?
    I simply did, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Good evening, I'm seeing some conflicting information in this thread regarding the affinity variable for dual cores. Should I leave it on the default setting or set it to 5? AMD X2 6000+ Thanks!

I've read the entire post but I've seen conflicting information (between 14 and 15) for an AMD Phenom II quad core with no HT. What's the verdict on this?

Dual cores without hyper threading won't really see any difference. Dual cores with hyper threading should use 5. Quad cores without hyper threading use 14. 15 is for all cores of a quad core with no hyper threading while 14 enables only the last three cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Goom View Post
    So I was feeling lucky and did all of the modifications the OP posted (I know I should have done 1 at a time for ease of troubleshooting) and WoW runs great but whenever I have wow open and alt tab to something else other than my desktop, for some reason now wow stays open in the background behind that program (like ts or firefox). Is there a way to fix it?
    That is odd. None of these tweaks should have changed anything relating to that.

Are you running wow in window mode? I play on a dual monitor setup, so I rarely if ever have to alt tab. Dont really have any experience with it.

I would take a look at your video settings and make sure wow is set to not run in window mode.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by antiscian View Post
    I've read the entire post but I've seen conflicting information (between 14 and 15) for an AMD Phenom II quad core with no HT. What's the verdict on this?
    14. Is the final verdict and the correct number. Was an error on my part in the OP.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 08:06 PM ----------

lol you cant make your own..

Just open up regedit. via start/run/regedit

then just follow the path. It is like navigating through the folders on your computer, same concept.

You should see hkey local machine with a little + next to it. click the plus sign and then a whole series of folders will drop down. From that select software. So on and so forth until you find the proper string.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Good evening, I'm seeing some conflicting information in this thread regarding the affinity variable for dual cores. Should I leave it on the default setting or set it to 5? AMD X2 6000+ Thanks!
    You can try either 5 or 3. both should work.

---------- Post added 2011-01-21 at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Wow should already be default running over both of your cores since you only have a dual core.
    So the cpu tweaks probably wont apply in your case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by strunker View Post
    lol you cant make your own..

Just open up regedit. via start/run/regedit

then just follow the path. It is like navigating through the folders on your computer, same concept.

You should see hkey local machine with a little + next to it. click the plus sign and then a whole series of folders will drop down. From that select software. So on and so forth until you find the proper string.
    I understand where to find the path but there is no Parameter, and MSMQ has no + to lead it to the folder Parameter. I take it from your response its not possible to make a folder for Parameters, and like nuani mentioned, apparently it has no effect if you do add the folder anyways. Thanks though.

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

I understand where to find the path but there is no Parameter, and MSMQ has no + to lead it to the folder Parameter. I take it from your response its not possible to make a folder for Parameters, and like nuani mentioned, apparently it has no effect if you do add the folder anyways. Thanks though.
    I dont understand how it could just not be there. Take a screen shot and upload it so I can see what you are seeing.

If you are using windows, which I assume you are, everyone's registry is the same it cant just not be there.

I see the same thing as Narshe. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit... the MSMQ registry key does NOT have a Parameters folder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joypunk View Post
    I see the same thing as Narshe. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit... the MSMQ registry key does NOT have a Parameters folder for me.
    I'm still on XP and I didn't even have the MSMQ folder, so I just left it alone. My latency is only in the 50-60 rangen anyhow.

[QUOTE=strunker;10177682]That is odd. None of these tweaks should have changed anything relating to that.

Are you running wow in window mode? I play on a dual monitor setup, so I rarely if ever have to alt tab. Dont really have any experience with it.

I would take a look at your video settings and make sure wow is set to not run in window mode.[COLOR="red"]

I don't run in windowed mode and even checked to make sure, not sure why its randomly doing this but its fairly annoying ><

[QUOTE=Goom;10200223]
    That is odd. None of these tweaks should have changed anything relating to that.

I would take a look at your video settings and make sure wow is set to not run in window mode.[COLOR="red"]

I don't run in windowed mode and even checked to make sure, not sure why its randomly doing this but its fairly annoying ><
    Very strange.

Not really sure what the cause could be.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by joypunk View Post
    Also interesting.

Any of the test systems I have played with have all been xp / 7 pro or greater.

Perhaps home does not have these key values.

All the people that are reporting not having those keys seem to be running Home editions of the OS.

Strange either way, never have heard of them not being there.

15+ Year Old Account
    strunker: Love the guide, thanks for correcting me, using the TCPAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay changes on Windows 7 have significantly reduced my ping, and I totally wasn't thinking about disabling Core 1 for more Windows use.

Stopped by mainly to say that Boubouille has enabled editing here as of 5 minutes ago - so edit away!

Edit: Also, I used the instructions given on page 2 to create my own MSMQ registry key - it was completely empty here on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition. Either TCPNoDelay (via creating those folders and and entries) or TCPAckFrequency (via creating the entry in my tcpip interfaces parameters folder) helped me cut my ping from 160-200 to 50-80.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-01-24 at 09:27 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    strunker: Love the guide, thanks for correcting me, using the TCPAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay changes on Windows 7 have significantly reduced my ping, and I totally wasn't thinking about disabling Core 1 for more Windows use.

Stopped by mainly to say that Boubouille has enabled editing here as of 5 minutes ago - so edit away!
    THANKS to you.

Glad things are working for the better.

I will definitely be adding / removing / cleaning up the guide over the next day or so. Kind of have a busy schedule at the moment so have been slow answering PM's, answering stuff in the thread.

I will fix it up though / try and simplify a few things via bullet points in the TLDR section so that people do not have to dig through this long thread to find the answers they want.

I will post again here once I have completed the update.

Thanks to all the readers. Happy some people are taking something away from all of this.

---------- Post added 2011-01-25 at 03:10 PM ----------

The original post has been updated.

Added a lot of clarification to it.

Tried to simplify the cpu section a little to make it an easier read.

Added several new processor types and broke them down by manufacturer (amd/intel).

Also added a small section at the bottom detailing our discussions here about how many fps the eye can actually see.

That section should now be politically correct.

I will update the guide and post here as new information / tweaks become available in the future.
    Last edited by strunker; 2011-01-25 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post

Edit: Also, I used the instructions given on page 2 to create my own MSMQ registry key - it was completely empty here on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition. Either TCPNoDelay (via creating those folders and and entries) or TCPAckFrequency (via creating the entry in my tcpip interfaces parameters folder) helped me cut my ping from 160-200 to 50-80.

good stuff.

I added a special section under the latency tweak section for vista/7 home users that will explain how to create the msmq strings/keys..

So people will have to look no further than the OP for all the answers..

Deleted
    Also interesting.

Any of the test systems I have played with have all been xp / 7 pro or greater.

Perhaps home does not have these key values.

All the people that are reporting not having those keys seem to be running Home editions of the OS.

Strange either way, never have heard of them not being there.
    I have Win 7 Pro and it wasn't there...

Adding the MSMQ strings as mentioned in the OP didn't help either, but I guess that's just me being limited by my connection, it does not seem to drop below 30ms no matter what. Not that 30ms weren't good, but I'd just like to see some 1x-ish latency :x

Oh, thanks for everything, though, the CPU thing alone is worth a lot.
    Last edited by mmoc1d4175fa00; 2011-01-30 at 12:40 PM.

Not there on my win7 64bit premium home.

I created the folder a couple of weeks back and added the TCPNoDelay. Can't say if it helped much beyond the standard TCPACk... but it hasn't caused any problems yet...

Quote Originally Posted by nuani View Post
    I have Win 7 Pro and it wasn't there...

Adding the MSMQ strings as mentioned in the OP didn't help either, but I guess that's just me being limited by my connection, it does not seem to drop below 30ms no matter what. Not that 30ms weren't good, but I'd just like to see some 1x-ish latency :x

Oh, thanks for everything, though, the CPU thing alone is worth a lot.
    Were you able to actually add the string?

did you run the leatrix utility in addition to adding that string.

The lag tweak is 2 parts. 1 is done manually 1 is automated via the leatrix tool.

---------- Post added 2011-01-30 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ccckkk View Post
    Not there on my win7 64bit premium home.

I created the folder a couple of weeks back and added the TCPNoDelay. Can't say if it helped much beyond the standard TCPACk... but it hasn't caused any problems yet...
    I use 7 pro and I have it.

I have no clue why microsoft would not have that reg string in the home version..

oversight? or them possibly being money hungry ass holes.

who knows.

Deleted
    Naggling is disabled in WoW already, you're looking for a little different thing.

As for CPU affinity, messing with ingame variable might not be the best thing to start, just simply launch task manager and try different core combinations until you're happy. After that simply leave this value in game config so that you don't have to bother with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Naggling is disabled in WoW already, you're looking for a little different thing.

As for CPU affinity, messing with ingame variable might not be the best thing to start, just simply launch task manager and try different core combinations until you're happy. After that simply leave this value in game config so that you don't have to bother with it anymore.
    False...so do not start spreading misinformation.

And yes there are easier ways, but you will have to set the affinity mask from task manager every single time you relaunch the app..

I dont know about you, but I would prefer to not have to do that. Adding a line to a text file isnt exactly rocket science.

"Messing" with the in game variable has no down sides..