Halfus 10man - Need some help.

My 10man group tried Bastion of Twilight last night, and we couldn't make any sort of decent progress on Halfus Wyrmbreaker. According to the RL, we have to worst setup of drakes: Slate Dragon and Nether Scion. The tanks were just getting their faces smashed with 40k+ hits, while the raid was taking ~60k damage every 30 or so seconds from the big proto drake. We wiped at least 10 or 15 times because of tanks getting smashed. Another issue is with the stacking -healing debuff that Halfus applies, which pretty much disables the MT until the stacks wear off. Apparently we were going to BoP the MT to remove the stacks and have him taunt it back, but I don't know if that happened or not.

We tried killing Slate first, but that didn't work. Nether Scion first didn't seem to work either. Whelps first didn't work either. According to the guides, when you kill the drakes, it removes the buffs Halfus has...but that didn't seem to happen. Either drake we killed, he kept the +100% attack speed and Malevolent Strikes.

I just don't know what the hell is going wrong that we're doing so horrible on what's supposed to be an "ezmode tank and spank" boss. We couldn't last more than 1 or 2 minutes before one of the tanks died. It's certainly not a gear issue, because we're all in half 346 at the least, with tanks' HP sitting at around 165k. We managed the first 3 bosses in Blackrock Descent without too much trouble, too.

Setup:

Tanks - Warrior / Paladin
    Healers - HPriest, Druid, Paladin
    DPS - MM Hunter, Arc Mage, Feral Druid, Asn Rogue, DK
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-12-24 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Tanks need to taunt swap the mortal strike - have either the dk or feral tank up the first drake (slate so the ms effect is gone) kill it asap then kill 2nd drake - release whelps tank them near halfus for splash damage and burn boss, pretty easy really.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tanked Halfus the entire time last week when we first killed him. I'm pretty sure there's no MS in 10m normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    Tanks need to taunt swap the mortal strike - have either the dk or feral tank up the first drake (slate so the ms effect is gone) kill it asap then kill 2nd drake - release whelps tank them near halfus for splash damage and burn boss, pretty easy really.
    This is what we were doing, having the tanks switch, but when the Slate died...Halfus still kept applying -healing effects. His Malevolent Strikes buff did not disappear when Slate died.

Quote Originally Posted by tet View Post
    I tanked Halfus the entire time last week when we first killed him. I'm pretty sure there's no MS in 10m normal.
    Yes there is. You must not have had Slate Dragon up.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

We did this on 10 man last week and the MS effect never went away, neither did the other debuffs. We thought this was intended. downed the boss regardless. Are his buffs supposed to go away when drakes die? O.o

ok we had this EXACT same comp but we have a warrior and a DK tanking what we did was have a dps release the scion while the DK released the whelps we then AoE'd the whelps and killed the scion at the same time after the warrior got his stacks of MS he challenging shouted the adds and blew CD's while the DK snagged the boss whelps were dead before the next tank swap it's ALOT on your healers i as a paladin was scraping the mana to continue and our shammy and druid were no different but when they both died the damage normalized and we were able to finish hope this massive wall of text helps

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Another issue is with the stacking -healing debuff that Halfus applies, which pretty much disables the MT until the stacks wear off.
    It depends entirely on the drakes you get.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is an effect caused when the Slate Dragon is one available that week.
    It won't be there if the slate dragon is not there.
    Also we had the same setup this week but I don't think our tanks fully got the whole need to switch out deal, as we barely ever made it 45 seconds in >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    This is what we were doing, having the tanks switch, but when the Slate died...Halfus still kept applying -healing effects. His Malevolent Strikes buff did not disappear when Slate died.
    Killing the slate dragon will not remove the effect, Instead when the slate dragon is released halfus is debuffed to occasionally be stunned for a full 15 seconds, in that time he cannot attack and it will let the tanks stacks fall off if he moves a bit from where halfus is so he has to come to the tank. That should provide sufficient time for the stacks to be removed completely.
    Last edited by Imhullu; 2010-12-24 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitee View Post
    We did this on 10 man last week and the MS effect never went away, neither did the other debuffs. We thought this was intended. downed the boss regardless. Are his buffs supposed to go away when drakes die? O.o
    this is why you release and kill the drakes - otherwise why would you bother?

*edit if the ms effect stays simply keep taunt swapping - we had this makeup on 25 this week and 1 shot it.
    Last edited by Hakto; 2010-12-24 at 09:10 PM.

Buffs go away/are manageable when the drakes are released.

For example, releasing Storm Rider makes you able to interupt the shadow nova, releasing Nether Scion removes his 100% attack speed buff, releasing whelps reduces proto drake damage by 50%, releasing Time Warden makes fireballs really slow, and not sure about the Slate Dragon...I know he keeps the MS the whole fight, but I want to say it reduces his damage done, or increases damage done to him. One or the other

Your setup is pretty rough, but the worst set up imo is Storm Rider, Nether Scion and Slate Dragon

In your case, I would probably release whelps and Nether Scion first (at the same time, hopefully your tanks are geared enough for that), pop BL, and burn down the Scion then the whelps down right away. tank swap, then release the Slate Dragon, nuke it down, tank swapping as needed, and once thats done it should be smooth sailing.

EDIT: I lied, slate dragon being released gives out random stuns. Its almost pointless to release him, so once you kill whelps and nether scion, just focus boss
    Last edited by Arcangel14; 2010-12-24 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcangel14 View Post
    releasing Nether Scion removes his 100% attack speed buff
    Releasing or killing? I never saw his +100% attack speed buff disappear...ever.
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-12-24 at 09:18 PM.

have you tried tanking the nether scion first? we kept trying to do what we did the two prior weeks (orphaned whelps + slate) and it wasn't working at all. so we switched it up and focused the nether scion first and we killed it that attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    this is why you release and kill the drakes - otherwise why would you bother?

*edit if the ms effect stays simply keep taunt swapping - we had this makeup on 25 this week and 1 shot it.
    Because for example one drake made his shadow nova interruptable etc. But after we killed the drakes his buffs remained in our encounter.

Deleted
    it doesn't make his buffs go away but it puts debuffs on him like 500% cast time or 15% reduced dmg, 25% miss etc..

when you release the drakes it doesnt remove halfus's buffs it just gives him a debuff, like the nether scion will periodicley stun the boss and slow his attacks, the slate drake will periodicly paralyze halfus, and the whelps will make the proto drake do 6000 less damage with all his attacks.

my guild found the best way to do this setup was to release the nether scion asap and have the scion tank, tank halfus at the. then when the scion became target able we switched tanks, by then the scion tank had around 4-6 stacks of the mortal strike. from there we popped time warp and burned down the scion while the tanks taunted back and forth and used bops, accordingly.

after the scion was down we had a mage open the whelp cage and the tank mainly of halfus tanked them, they dont really need to be dps'd down they get plenty of cleaves

at the same time we released the slate drake and burned him down. after that dps moved to halfus and we burned him him down to 50% where he starts to do a ferocious roar. it stuns the whole party and does damage so everyone needs to be topped off and the tanks need to pop cd's.

One tank releases whelps, hunter releases and MD's nether scion to that tank. Second tank takes Halfus, taunt and trade Boss/drake when needed. Use hero to blow up the drake and aoe down the whelps after. Release the slate drake, kill it, kill Halfus. The tanks will need to be taunting off eachother the entire fight. It's easy though.

we had this setup aswell, a dps released the whelps while the tank released the scion, just aoe the shit out of the whelps and then focus dps on the scion, after they are dead it's just faceroll
    "Keelah Se'lai"
    "Tali'Zorah: Just so you know I'm running a fever, I've got a nasty cough, and my sinuses are filled with something I can't even describe. But it was totally worth it! "

Quote Originally Posted by Egga View Post
    we had this setup aswell, a dps released the whelps while the tank released the scion, just aoe the shit out of the whelps and then focus dps on the scion, after they are dead it's just faceroll
    This.

Slate can go down last. DO kill him though, the damage the drakes do is significant, dont offtank it, its not worth it. The enrage on this isn't that tight, hes taking +150% damage once all 3 are released.

Like the quote said, burn down drakes ASAP cause they are squishy as hell and then burn down scion. Release both of these right at the start. Releasing nether makes Halfus' damage manageable and slows down the MS stacking, and releasing whelps makes AOE damage on the raid almost completely negligible.

Extremely easy fight once you understand the consequences of releasing the drakes. Healing can be slightly intense at the start with Halfus + 2 drakes or drake/whelps out, get past that and you are basically done.