Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    You say that Eccleston is sillier than Smith?
    Are we watching the same show in which Smith can barely act a deadly serious and dramatic scene to save his life?
    Sure he somewhat nailed it in the Name of the Doctor (the most recent episode, whatever it was called), but prior to that his dark and serious scenes were down right painful. He was much better when he was silly which was most of the time.

Anyways, in regards to the question.. start with the 2005 reboot. Don't skip to Smith, or you'll miss out on some amazing episodes. Honestly, Tennant and Tate was just down right brilliant, and you really do not want to miss that.
    I actually thought the way he portrayed his anger in "A Good Man Goes To War" was quite good. I can tell he's actually trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I actually thought the way he portrayed his anger in "A Good Man Goes To War" was quite good. I can tell he's actually trying.
    I cannot take him seriously after the spit spraying as he tried to be dramatic in the "Rings of Akhaten" episode.
    He's just much better when he's being silly.
    Fish fingers and custard.

Matt Smith is my favorite doctor yet. He is pretty silly, but I see nothing wrong with his "dark scenes", just because RTD had a rather melodramatic run.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-07-05 at 11:17 AM.

I'm more of a Tennant fan, because he can pull off a variety of emotions and such without over-acting.
    Plus, the Doctor and Donna were just flawless.

Smith is great when he does silly stuff, but that's where my appreciation for him pretty much ends.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more of a Tennant fan
    Which is why you are biased and not objective about acting in the slightest. Considering both have won awards for their portrayal of the Doctor, I wager both the general public and the elitist award givers think they are both pretty fancy. Smith is a tremendous actor. If you want to see him serious outside of the scope of Who, watch the movie Womb. It will traumatize you, but it will prove his chops.

Additionally, had no idea Tennant won a daytime Emmy for voice work for SW: Clone Wars. That's pretty neat.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Which is why you are biased and not objective about acting in the slightest. Considering both have won awards for their portrayal of the Doctor, I wager both the general public and the elitist award givers think they are both pretty fancy. Smith is a tremendous actor. If you want to see him serious outside of the scope of Who, watch the movie Womb. It will traumatize you, but it will prove his chops.

Additionally, had no idea Tennant won a daytime Emmy for voice work for SW: Clone Wars. That's pretty neat.
    Who said I wasn't biased?
    I'm renowned for being a hypocrite too.
    Doesn't mean I'll change my view on how Smith can't do serious (well, most of the time, I won't complain about how he did in the Name of the Doctor).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who said I wasn't biased?
    It's just pointless and disrespectful to make every other post bashing a particular actor when there's nothing but your own opinion supporting your statements. This isn't an actor bashing thread, this is a discussion forum. Constantly sniping at any Doctor just because you don't like the them (especially for this fan base) is just tacky.

There are a myriad of things to discuss other than the ridiculousness that gets brought up about Smith and Eccleston over and over while lifting Tennant on a golden pedestal. I guess people are that bored with no episodes that they'd rather turn this thread into the virtual equivalent of a tabloid? That's rich.

Guess I'll just avoid this thread until intelligent conversations happen again.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's just pointless and disrespectful to make every other post bashing a particular actor when there's nothing but your own opinion supporting your statements. This isn't an actor bashing thread, this is a discussion forum. Constantly sniping at any Doctor just because you don't like the them (especially for this fan base) is just tacky.

There are a myriad of things to discuss other than the ridiculousness that gets brought up about Smith and Eccleston over and over while lifting Tennant on a golden pedestal. I guess people are that bored with no episodes that they'd rather turn this thread into the virtual equivalent of a tabloid? That's rich.

Guess I'll just avoid this thread until intelligent conversations happen again.
    Have I ever completely criticised him? No.
    I find most of his serious scenes painful. Everything else he does it brilliant.
    Would I ask for another doctor? No.
    I may prefer Tennant, but I've never said that Smith or Eccleston were bad either.
    It's an opinion.. get over yourself.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I massively preferred David Tennant, there's something I've never liked about Matt Smith and even after all of these years I still can't put my finger on it D:
    It's the whole Matt Smith, you silly you.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

okay so SPOILERS

its pretty much confirmed now that hurt is 8.5 timewar doctor and if this does end up true it just really pisses me off.

WHY NOT JUST USE MCGANN! WHY!?!?!

want an older more brutal looking doctor? well mcgann was wearing a wig just change his outfit a bit, dont give him the wig or give him a different looking one, maybe rough up his face a bit. BAM. why go out all of this way creating an entire incarnation when they could just use mcgann. its not like mcgann is like eccleston where he doesnt want to go he was saying all throughout that he was just waiting incase they wanted him.

if hurt had been the valeyard or something else that wouldve been fine but they are pretty much just making up a new doctor when they dont need to.

mcganns doctor has perhaps the most stories out of any doctor except maybe the 4th doctor yet hes had the least amount of screen time. its a shame that the only onscreen time a really great doctor will ever have is that shitty fox co created movie. sure maybe they could bring him back in a special in the future or like peter davison in a childrens in need thing but the 50th was really the perfect opportunity to let mcgann shine onscreen.

im sure ill still love the special and im sure it will still be amazing but its completely a missed opportunity since there are ALOT of people who wanted to see mcgann back

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    okay so SPOILERS

its pretty much confirmed now that hurt is 8.5 timewar doctor and if this does end up true it just really pisses me off.

WHY NOT JUST USE MCGANN! WHY!?!?!

want an older more brutal looking doctor? well mcgann was wearing a wig just change his outfit a bit, dont give him the wig or give him a different looking one, maybe rough up his face a bit. BAM. why go out all of this way creating an entire incarnation when they could just use mcgann. its not like mcgann is like eccleston where he doesnt want to go he was saying all throughout that he was just waiting incase they wanted him.

if hurt had been the valeyard or something else that wouldve been fine but they are pretty much just making up a new doctor when they dont need to.

mcganns doctor has perhaps the most stories out of any doctor except maybe the 4th doctor yet hes had the least amount of screen time. its a shame that the only onscreen time a really great doctor will ever have is that shitty fox co created movie. sure maybe they could bring him back in a special in the future or like peter davison in a childrens in need thing but the 50th was really the perfect opportunity to let mcgann shine onscreen.

im sure ill still love the special and im sure it will still be amazing but its completely a missed opportunity since there are ALOT of people who wanted to see mcgann back
    Conventional wisdom in the arena of TV / movies is to always be forward-looking and create something NEW. You're always trying to hook new fans and the belief is that reaching back to the past can confuse newer members of the audience. I know sounds strange to be worried about this with an anniversary special of all things, but its a very common belief and makes what they are doing with the Time War and leaving McGann out is very unsurprising.

That said, I did hear a rumor somewhere that they MAY film a special minisode (like "Pond Life") featuring McGann, possibly with him regenerating into Hurt. Can't find where I read that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Maybe he didn't want to do it?
    but hes said he wants to do it over and over again at every convention and interview.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Conventional wisdom in the arena of TV / movies is to always be forward-looking and create something NEW. You're always trying to hook new fans and the belief is that reaching back to the past can confuse newer members of the audience. I know sounds strange to be worried about this with an anniversary special of all things, but its a very common belief and makes what they are doing with the Time War and leaving McGann out is very unsurprising.

That said, I did hear a rumor somewhere that they MAY film a special minisode (like "Pond Life") featuring McGann, possibly with him regenerating into Hurt. Can't find where I read that though.
    then why bring back tennant? and john hurt is a very expensive actor i can assure you his appearance is going to be a one time thing

10+ Year Old Account
    then why bring back tennant?
    Because people like him
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Maybe McGann's doctor will be in the 50th, but it has been kept secret.
    Wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Because people like him
    lots of people like mcgann too. all those years doctor who was off the tv the only stories there were was about the 8th doctor until they tried to replace him with that cartoon doctor

10+ Year Old Account
    lots of people like mcgann too. all those years doctor who was off the tv the only stories there were was about the 8th doctor until they tried to replace him with that cartoon doctor
    I don't even know who that is. Most of the people who watch DW now - don't know either, at least in the role of Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't even know who that is. Most of the people who watch DW now - don't know either, at least in the role of Doctor.
    hes the 8th doctor. and the 50th anniversary isnt for people like that. its to celebrate 50 years not just the new series

10+ Year Old Account
    hes the 8th doctor.
    I figured that already earlier in the thread. I don't know him as actor still.
    and the 50th anniversary isnt for people like that. its to celebrate 50 years not just the new series
    It's for everyone. Mostly for those who got hooked up in 2005. Because they are the majority of people who watches the show. And they don't want no McGann, they want Tennant. And Hurt is just a nice bonus.

but hes said he wants to do it over and over again at every convention and interview.

- - - Updated - - -

then why bring back tennant? and john hurt is a very expensive actor i can assure you his appearance is going to be a one time thing
    Well its a bit of a gray area since it is an anniversary show. I think Moffatt recognized the conflict in stating that this episode will set up the future as much as act as a nod to the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Maybe McGann's doctor will be in the 50th, but it has been kept secret.
    Wait and see
    The thing with actors is that they could be called on a Sunday and asked "would you like to come in tomorrow and shoot some scenes?" and it can happen that quickly. They shoot their scenes the very next day and then they are done.

So, if they wanted to do a minisode with McGann between now and late November, they could shoot it tomorrow or 3 months from now...