Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

i dont care about bills mum and dad.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    gotta love doctor who, so much epicness in one series, hard to make a better show, even the bad episodes are better then most other productions, I do want the new season to reach new highs!

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    rory 10/10 best companion 10/10 best space dad, 10/10 2nd best captain of the waverider
    He's the best captain of the waverider. All Sarah does is bang what ever historical woman they have on the show that week(or try to).

And as captain he stopped the time masters while under Sarah all of reality was rewritten.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    We had a whole series of Clara and Danny and how it screwed everything up . That was one of the reasons season 9 was so bad, there was WAY too much Clara/Danny nonsense.
    Honestly that just felt manufactured to me.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Honestly that just felt manufactured to me.
    True, the plot WAS there though. It was poorly handled and felt wrong, but we still got more of the whole "Clara's adventures with the Doctor are having a negative impact on her real life" than we really asked for.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    True, the plot WAS there though. It was poorly handled and felt wrong, but we still got more of the whole "Clara's adventures with the Doctor are having a negative impact on her real life" than we really asked for.
    I ask more things like Donna. We got to see her parents, and she had a life completely outside Doctor Who, which we knew was there but we never really had to bring it up much.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I honestly feel like they should not mention it in the first episode. Save that for future episodes, if it is not a big deal, they don't have to show it to us in the first episode. If it is not a big deal to her character, do we really need it in the first episode?
    If you don't mention it, then people later on are like "WHY ARE YOU CHANGING THIS CHARACTER I LIKE TO SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE" even if the author's original intent always pictured the character that way. C.F. Rowling and Dumbledore, where she only confirmed he was gay after book 7, and where there was no hint of it in the first 5 books at all (because it wouldn't have been appropriate), or Neil Druckmann with Ellie from The Last of Us, where he explores her lesbian relationship in a DLC after the main game of TLOU (again, she's a girl in TLOU, sexuality wouldn't be a super important topic in an action game set in the post-apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ask more things like Donna. We got to see her parents, and she had a life completely outside Doctor Who, which we knew was there but we never really had to bring it up much.
    Yeah, Rose and Martha were in similar situations... I wonder what the difference is between Rose, Martha, Donna... And Clara ?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Rose and Martha were in similar situations... I wonder what the difference is between Rose, Martha, Donna... And Clara ?
    I think the answer is RTD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the answer is RTD.
    Well.... I think you just might be right! It's almost, ALMOST, as if Moffat is great at writing cool twist, and interesting plots, but can't write characters for shit...

15+ Year Old Account
    Well.... I think you just might be right! It's almost, ALMOST, as if Moffat is great at writing cool twist, and interesting plots, but can't write characters for shit...
    Story twist only are so interesting for so long, they get old real quick. I know which one I would rather prefer.

I like rtd characters too, but, as i say everytime this debate pops up.

rtd ended 3 out of his 4 series with "OH MEH GAD! THE DALEKS ARE BACK EVEN THOUGH ALL OF THEM ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD! YAY WE KILLED ALL THE DALEKS!"

he revived and then killed off the daleks 3 fucking times, and the one time he didnt use the daleks? the doctor became an x-man with the power of love and hugged the master to death.

and every single one of his arcs for those seasons was "person says a thing"

i vastly prefer the overarching plotlines of moffat.

- - - Updated - - -

"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Moffat has done goofed it up with Capaldi, but Smith had vastly more interesting plot lines on the whole than Tennant and RTD. When I go look at some of the best episodes of the RTD era, you know who writes most of them? Moffat, Matt Jones, etc.

Blink, Silence in the Library, The Satan Pit, The Girl in the Fireplace, etc. It feels like RTD as a showrunner in charge of character development works, but he needs crazy people writing twisty plots to fill it up.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I like rtd characters too, but, as i say everytime this debate pops up.

rtd ended 3 out of his 4 series with "OH MEH GAD! THE DALEKS ARE BACK EVEN THOUGH ALL OF THEM ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD! YAY WE KILLED ALL THE DALEKS!"

he revived and then killed off the daleks 3 fucking times, and the one time he didnt use the daleks? the doctor became an x-man with the power of love and hugged the master to death.

and every single one of his arcs for those seasons was "person says a thing"

Agreed, totally. RTD was wwaayyy to fond of the Daleks and used Deus Ex Machina one or five thousand times too many.

REALLY, if I was in charge, I'd get Moffat to write the season arcs, but have RTD in charge of the episode to episode running. So we'd get all the overarching twists and turns of the kind Moffat is best at, but with the strong characters and heart that made RTD's era so great.

Or maybe, they could hire a new show runner who was known to write really intricate, complex plots, while also writing great characters... Oh, wait!

That teaser... Cybermen, Missy dabbing and what appeared to be a brief shot of Capaldi regenerating... God damn I'm SO FUCKING READY FOR THIS!

capaldi always said he was trying to get them to use the classic cybermen but moffat always told him no because they looked to silly. i wonder if they put them in because its capaldis last series and its one of his favorite designs

RTD is great at writing characters but storytelling is a weak spot with him. Moffat is great at writing multilayered plots but he's weak at characterization.

Chibnall specializes in ensemble shows featuring damaged low-key characters with moral ambiguity. Chibnall would probably prefer to push the TARDIS into the background and have the Doctor "settle down" a bit with a regular large cast. Torchwood, which Chibnall wrote, was a team show. Broadchurch had a very large cast. You would think that UNIT would be a really big thing with Chibnall, but UNIT has been done quite a bit already so he might try something else.

Chibnall would probably prefer a more humble Doctor, maybe even a frightened and damaged Doctor. One way to do that is to reintroduce one of the outright god-class beings in the universe that make the Doctor look insignificant. The White and Black Guardians from the Key to Time series is one option. Another option would be to bring back the Osirians, Sutekh, and Horus, etc. The Great Vampires are a third option. Any would make the Doctor look like an ant.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Chibnall would probably prefer a more humble Doctor, maybe even a frightened and damaged Doctor. One way to do that is to reintroduce one of the outright god-class beings in the universe that make the Doctor look insignificant. The White and Black Guardians from the Key to Time series is one option. Another option would be to bring back the Osirians, Sutekh, and Horus, etc. The Great Vampires are a third option. Any would make the Doctor look like an ant.
    I would be totally okay with any of those plots.

For all of Moffat's seasons we've had the Doctor being the super god like hero, able to pull out a last minute trick and make sure everything turns out well, with as little backlask as possible.

I'd love to see at least one season where the Doctor takes a HUGE loss. Where by the end of the season, everything isn't alright, it's not all tied up happily and everyone isn't safe, happy and healthy. It doesn't need to be a total downer, but not a clear victory either, we need to see the Doctor coming to the stark realisation that sometimes, he CAN'T fix everything and he ISN'T omnipotent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    RTD is great at writing characters but storytelling is a weak spot with him. Moffat is great at writing multilayered plots but he's weak at characterization.

Chibnall specializes in ensemble shows featuring damaged low-key characters with moral ambiguity. Chibnall would probably prefer to push the TARDIS into the background and have the Doctor "settle down" a bit with a regular large cast. Torchwood, which Chibnall wrote, was a team show. Broadchurch had a very large cast. You would think that UNIT would be a really big thing with Chibnall, but UNIT has been done quite a bit already so he might try something else.

OR the valeyard!

with moffat leaving i dont think we'll get the valeyard

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems that the BBC have a very specific idea in mind for the 13th Doctor... and it sounds a bit familiar.

So I guess lady is off the table, but this doesn't rule out it being a person of colour.

Seems that the BBC have a very specific idea in mind for the 13th Doctor... and it sounds a bit familiar.

So I guess lady is off the table, but this doesn't rule out it being a person of colour.
    the rumour for awhile was that they were gonna try and go for a tennant/smith flighty pretty boy type of doctor to try and get back the fangirl type audience thats shrunken since capaldi came on.

were probably gonna get a very tennant like doctor whos charismatic and pretty and has funny hair.

- - - Updated - - -

with the ratings being down in the uk even with it being more popular than ever in america and other countries i think it will be a white guy, very status quo season.

then maybe with the 14th doctor if it does well we will see something different. kind of like how when matt left the series was at a high note in the ratings around the world so they went with an older more classic series doctor.

honestly though i think its not capaldi but the HUGE FUCKING BREAKS and inconsistent pacing of the series. theres very little shows that can do what doctor who is doing and fucking survive it. i think, walking dead is probably the only show right now that could take a huge break like doctor who is doing and survive and even then just like doctor who it would likely see a big cut in viewers.

theres probably gonna be another year or so wait inbetween this series and the next one but hopefuly not after that